Graybeard Outdoors banner

Adapter vs Handi Rifle comparison

4K views 10 replies 8 participants last post by  nw_hunter 
#1 ·
Attached are two files showing the results of my range time today comparing the 18" MCA insert in .45 ACP X12 ga and a Handi Rifle in .45 ACP with a 4X scope. If you throw out the flier caused by my touching off the rifle before I was ready, I got a 1" two shot group with the Handi Rifle at 25 yards. If you leave it in, the group is 2.75". The other target is two sets shot in a Tracker I barrel (with iron sights) on a Topper frame. The group shot with out anything to tighten up the insert was 2.5" while the group with masking tape on the breach to tighten the insert is 2.25". I wouldn't complain about either.

Attachments

See less See more
#4 ·
Well, yes and no. Ten shot groups do give you seven more opportunities for "chance" than 3 shot groups! A flyer is a flyer, whether it occurs during a 3 shot group or a 10 shot group.

But yes, generally speaking, ten shot groups do give a better picture of a rifle's capabilities than 3 shot groups - the only question is how much better?

#7 ·
Call me practical, but I check accuracy with three shot groups, cold and clean only, at least three to four days running. The thing to remember here is most of my guns are hunters, and the only shot that truely counts is the first one, the extra two shots for the "group" are only to see if there could be a problem that needs addressing, either me, or the gun. Works for me.

#8 ·
My take on shooting groups is the same as The Old Man. I just feel that for a hunting gun 3 shot groups will tell you all you need to know. I rarely shoot 10 shot strings at a game animal!!! If I did I would assume something was seriously wrong with either me (most likely!) or the gun.

Now, if it is a target/competition rifle then 10 shot strings may make perfect sense.

#10 ·
I like your explanation for the real use of shotgun inserts. I have a few that are all home made. The ones I like are in 38 Special that's 20" long and the same length for a 22lr that's offset so the firing pin works with rimfire. I have others but they were just things I've tried and have not proved themselves useful. Fun shooting the 22lr in the back yard using Aguila Super Colibri's for pest control. The shotgun is an old 20ga H&R 48 Topper that I trimmed the barrel to 20" so the 38 and 22lr inserts are right at the muzzle.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.