Quote:
Originally Posted by 45-70.gov View Post
what about the CVA
i just ordered the CVA FORM CABELAS
on sale now

i got the pistol version....14 inch barrel

can this gun be reamed to 357 MAXIMUM

i know it cna but is it safe???
Yes it would be safe. CVA makes the same pistol in several cartridges that are much higher pressure than the Max.
I have always wondered why they made the 357 in the pistol and not the rifle ?
One would think they would see the demand is there and it would be a good seller.

jedman

Still kickin
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 29 (permalink) Old 09-02-2018, 06:56 PM Thread Starter

I emailed Midland Arms to ask about center fire rifles. Their web page has the food up single shot backpack shotguns, but the rim fire and center fire tabs just bring you a "coming soon" banner. After a couple years of "coming soon" I had to ask, just when is "soon?" They say that the new options will be coming early 2019, rim fire first.

I'm not holding my breath, but I thought I'd pass on what little update I got.
post #23 of 29 (permalink) Old 09-02-2018, 06:57 PM Thread Starter

That should be "fold up"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #24 of 29 (permalink) Old 10-10-2018, 09:59 AM
rfd

the main problem with all these single shots - h&r, cva, traditions, henry, etc - is their very Very VERY heavy trigger pull. h&r has/had surfaced hardened sears that you don't wanna mess with, dunno about the others. lotta wailing going on about the henry s/s triggers. i'd love a .357mag s/s rifle, but not those, not with their terrible triggers.

NRA Patriot Life Member ~ NRA RSO ~ www.BuffaloRifles.org ~ www.BPGang.com ~ www.TradMLA.org ~ www.TradGang.com
The ONLY government I trust is the .45-70
post #25 of 29 (permalink) Old 10-13-2018, 09:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rfd View Post
the main problem with all these single shots - h&r, cva, traditions, henry, etc - is their very Very VERY heavy trigger pull. h&r has/had surfaced hardened sears that you don't wanna mess with, dunno about the others. lotta wailing going on about the henry s/s triggers. i'd love a .357mag s/s rifle, but not those, not with their terrible triggers.

The CVA Triggers on the Scout V2 and Hunter are actually excellent triggers. Unfortunately they don't offer either of the rifles chambered in .357 Mag. They offer .44 Mag in both rifles, as well as .444, 450 Bushmaster, .45-70.

They do offer the .357 Mag in the Scout V2 Pistol.

Their triggers are the best of any of the single shots, by a long shot. Their triggers are also better than all the budget bolt actions that I have shot. Being a hammer gun, it does have a slightly slower lock time than the bolts, but the excellent trigger more than makes up for that in my experience.

I have a Scout V2 in .450 Bushmaster that I'll put up against any rifle configuration in that chambering. It will outshoot my Ruger American in .450 Bushmaster every time, and it is no slouch. I even removed the Marksman (Accu-Trigger clone) and dropped in a Timney. The CVA still wins, every time! One ragged hole groups at 100 yards are very common.

I also have the CVA Optima Pistol, .50 cal muzzleloader that will shoot one hole groups at 50 yards benched. The trigger on it is also excellent.
post #26 of 29 (permalink) Old 10-13-2018, 02:34 PM

I have fired two different CVA Scout V2s, and also found the triggers to be excellent.

My brother, a deer hunter for 45 years, has gone through pile of deer rifles in his time, but a few years ago he settled on the Scout V2 in .35 Remington, and it is all he uses now.

(After much reflection, he had to admit to himself that of the over 100 deer he has killed, he never shot one farther than 125 yards.)

I would buy a V2 in a second, . . . if only it came with a walnut stock.

Mannyrock
post #27 of 29 (permalink) Old 10-14-2018, 03:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mannyrock View Post
I have fired two different CVA Scout V2s, and also found the triggers to be excellent.

My brother, a deer hunter for 45 years, has gone through pile of deer rifles in his time, but a few years ago he settled on the Scout V2 in .35 Remington, and it is all he uses now.

(After much reflection, he had to admit to himself that of the over 100 deer he has killed, he never shot one farther than 125 yards.)

Mannyrock
If Only...... story of a wasted life!

Byron

Christian by choice, American by the grace of God.

NRA LIFE, Trump for 2020
post #28 of 29 (permalink) Old 10-14-2018, 04:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mannyrock View Post

Mannyrock
It's a good thing he got that .35 Rem when he did. They no longer offer that chambering.

If they offered the rifle in .357 Mag, they would sell several in Michigan for the youth and women hunters. There would also be several guys reaming them out to Max for the limited firearms deer zone.

I'm completely satisfied with my Scout V2 in .450 Bushmaster. Makes a great 200 - 250 yard capable rifle for what used to be our old shotgun/muzzleloader zone. It flat out hammers those deer.

Yeah, Walnut stocks, even Brown/Gray/Green Laminated stocks, would be awesome. Even the Black Synthetic Stock with the quick takedown forend is excellent.

I was hoping that one of the aftermarket stock companies would start making stocks for them like they do for the Encores. Maybe someday?
post #29 of 29 (permalink) Old 11-04-2018, 06:18 AM
rfd

henry now offers the h015-357 .357mag single shot. i'll prolly wind up getting one, reaming it for .357max, and load paper patched black powder cartridges.

i have the henry h015-223 .223rem and like all the current crop of henry s/s rifles, the trigger pull is ridiculously hefty. a feller on the CB forum offered a $12 replacement spring set for both hammer and trigger and i bought it and the installation was a piece of cake. *WOW* what a difference! cut the pull at least in half. now it's a very viable rifle. just awaiting an swfa 12x42 scope.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC04543.JPG
Views:	50
Size:	147.9 KB
ID:	222538  

NRA Patriot Life Member ~ NRA RSO ~ www.BuffaloRifles.org ~ www.BPGang.com ~ www.TradMLA.org ~ www.TradGang.com
The ONLY government I trust is the .45-70

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Graybeard Outdoors forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page