Graybeard Outdoors banner

Martini

2K views 4 replies 3 participants last post by  geezerbiker 
#1 ·
I have a Martini 22 target action. I am going to re-barrel and chamber it for the 357 Max. I remember years ago Kleins out of Chicago imported a bunch of cadet rifles and had them pressure tested to 50,000 lbs. per sq. in. . I believe that these are the same actions as far as I could find out. Anyone have ane experience or ideas?

#2 ·
Bud, I have a BSA cadet that has been rebarreled to 357 maximum. The action is plenty strong but there are other problems using this cartridge, being it has no taper to the case it can be hard to load and some have had to grind the shell trough to allow it to make the slight turn to keep the shells rim from dragging while loading.
Another problem is the extractor on a martini only has a short ejection stroke and with a long strait walled Cartridge like the max it only pops it out a short distance and you need to pull it out with your fingers. Not a big deal but tapered cases actually eject smartly with opening the lever quickly.
As far as I can tell the rimfire frame is the same size and would be strong enough to convert to centerfire but besides all of the bolt modifications needed to shoot a hi pressure centerfire I believe you would need a centerfire extractor to work with the much larger rimmed case of the 357.
If you can find a phone number two reach Bob Snapp he could instruct you on what's needed and if converting a rimfire action to centerfire is a wise choice
I own 7-8 Martini rifles and most have been rebarreled or modified so I think they are one of the best platforms for a custom rifle and by far less expensive than hi walls, low walls, hepburns ect. A rolling block might be the other choice to think of building a 357 maximum on and could be a good choice if you like them.

jedman

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.