Switched back to scope from red dot. - Graybeard Outdoors

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old 11-27-2018, 07:04 AM Thread Starter

Default Switched back to scope from red dot.

I'm hunting with my CVA .44 mag rifle this year. I had mounted a red dot on it, but didn't realize until afield, that in those hours when day is just breaking or later, when the day is fading, all I could see was a diffused red splash..so I went back to a 4X scope.
Sighting in, I decided I will use Hornady 240 gr FTX.

What do you use for big game in your .357 or .44 mag? ...And how did it work?

INSIDE EVERY PROGRESSIVE IS A TOTALITARIAN, SCREAMING TO GET OUT. (David Horowitz)

Last edited by ironglow; 11-27-2018 at 07:07 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old 11-27-2018, 07:24 AM

I agree. Redots are great in the day time but not really good in low light. I found a scope I really like that's reasonable and would probably work well for you. Its a leupold 1x4 hog hunter. Its got heavy crosshairs and a sort of a triangle in the middle of the reticle. It seems to do real well in low light and was designed for low light hog hunting. I found one on ebay for less then 200 bucks and put it on my 356 big bore. Some like lighted reticles. Me? I find them distracting. Especially the ones that light up the whole reticle. Shooting in legal hunting hours ive never seen an advantage to them. Maybe if you were hunting in the middle of the night a small lit dot might help but legal sunset time is the end of hunting time here.

MAKE AMERICA GREAT AGAIN! STEEL FOR TANKS NOT FENCES!!!
post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old 11-27-2018, 09:55 AM

Location: 3 miles NW of Brownells retail store and they keep me broke!

Here in Iowa we can use straight wall rifle cartridges on deer. I have a Marlin 375 Winchester that I love. However my old eyes can't see the sights in fading light like they used to. For me putting a scope on a lever gun is sac-religious. Kinda like putting a big hood scoop on a VW bug...it just don't look right. So I bought a CVA Scout in 444 Marlin(Brownells is 2 miles from my house and they had them on sale...and I'm a sucker). I loaded up some Hornady 240 grain XTPs on top of 49.2 grains of H4198. The 25 inch barrel gives me a 5 shot average of 2520 fps. I am over scoped with a Nikon 4-12 scope mounted on the 444. The scope was on the shelf so put it to use ...... I will just leave it on 4X. I shot 50 rounds through it Saturday afternoon. I was vaporizing bricks all the way to 200 yards. My shoulder was talking to me at the end of the shooting session too.

Now the old guy in me kicks in and says why in the Sam Hill do I need all that power? I have killed 50+deer with 44mag handguns. My grandkids both killed big bodied whitetails this past youth season with their CVA Hunters(shortened versions...cut and recrowned at 16.5 inches and butt stocks cropped at 11 inches and both wear old 3x Weaver scopes). They were shooting my 44 mag hard cast target loads running just over 1,000 fps. They hit them through both lungs and neither deer went 50 yards.

I went through the need for speed and power thing 40 years ago.....maybe I'm going senile. I do know that I don't like red dot or hallo scopes of any kind.....I'll stick with a low power conventional scope!

Right now I am thinking that I will use this thumper at home and just take my Bisley??????
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old 11-27-2018, 10:58 AM Thread Starter

I am back to using the first scope I mounted on it several years ago. The CVA came with a good mount& rings as the package, so I had a spare 4X32 Simmons Pro Diamond scope on hand (diamond & crosshairs).
I have already passed on a good share of my guns to my grandsons, but reserved this one for my now somewhat curtailed big game hunting.
I can't remember a time when I used more than one shot for the initial knock down...and the .44 mag has more than enough to do the job.

INSIDE EVERY PROGRESSIVE IS A TOTALITARIAN, SCREAMING TO GET OUT. (David Horowitz)
post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old 11-27-2018, 11:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ironglow View Post
I am back to using the first scope I mounted on it several years ago. The CVA came with a good mount& rings as the package, so I had a spare 4X32 Simmons Pro Diamond scope on hand (diamond & crosshairs).
I have already passed on a good share of my guns to my grandsons, but reserved this one for my now somewhat curtailed big game hunting.
I can't remember a time when I used more than one shot for the initial knock down...and the .44 mag has more than enough to do the job.
I don't care what anybody says, the Pro Diamonds are tough scopes. I have one on a Ithaca 37 12 gauge slug gun. It might be the hardest kicking gun that I have ever owned. The scope has never wavered! I am old and set in my ways but don't think that a fella has to break the bank to get a good scope.
post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old 11-27-2018, 11:34 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by gpa&hisguns View Post
I don't care what anybody says, the Pro Diamonds are tough scopes. I have one on a Ithaca 37 12 gauge slug gun. It might be the hardest kicking gun that I have ever owned. The scope has never wavered! I am old and set in my ways but don't think that a fella has to break the bank to get a good scope.
I know just what you mean.. I have the Pro Diamond and a Pro Sport SG, which is just like the Pro Diamond, but with plain crosshairs.
They are both tough as nails....and at a reasonable price. I consider them one of the best kept secrets in scopes...

post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old 11-27-2018, 09:44 PM

Gun Cabinet

Definitely a fan of the Simmons Pro Diamond. Sitting here reading this thread thinking about all the rifles I have them on. Plus a couple slug guns. Not one of them has ever failed me.

303 Britt is my favorite Handi!
post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old 11-28-2018, 11:03 AM Thread Starter

There folks, if you are looking for a reasonably priced scope for your deer rifle...here are some who are experienced with this scope. I think it is great for eastern woodlands.
If you want finer duplex cross hairs ..the Pro Sport is basically the same scope as I see it..just a different reticle.

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/10...-reticle-matte

Last edited by ironglow; 11-28-2018 at 11:06 AM.
post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old 11-28-2018, 12:02 PM

Gun Cabinet

I have several hunting rifles that have red dots on them and overall I like them a lot . I did have the battery go dead on me while on stand in cold weather and it cost me a shot at the best deer I will likely ever have a chance at.
So for cold weather use I don't trust them.

jedman

Still kickin
post #10 of 21 (permalink) Old 11-28-2018, 12:07 PM

I like the eye relief. They have perfect sight picture at the right distance to keep from eating the scope on hard recoiling guns.
This reminds me of a story.....but then when you get to be my age everything reminds you of a story.

A few years back Grinnell College(second most liberal college west of the Mississippi...second to Berkley) purchased some timber south of town. It was to be a sanctuary to study nature and botany. The problem was the deer ate everything that they planted. Along comes a new professor from the east cost that decides to cull the herd. This is where the story really starts. I am at the gun counter at the local Theisens farm store. The professor is there at the counter buying a slug gun. A NEF single shot 12 gauge slug gun. I am waiting patiently in line and enjoying the professor and clerks discussion. Neither knew squat diddly! The professor was now looking at scopes to put on his new slug gun. He looked at several different 4X scopes. The cheapest scope was a Barska 4X Rimfire scope. To the professor it was as clear as the others and he could see from one end of the store to the other just fine. I had to speak up and tell him that wasn't the right choice for his gun. i told him that he needed more eye relief than the rimfire scope afforded him. He blew me off and took his rifle and scope and a new set of rings home to put together. Two days later I am at the post office in line to mail some stuff and after I complete my business I turn to leave. There standing three people behind me is the professor sporting a huge black eye and stitches in his unibrow. I couldn't help it I had to smile and say..."scope got ya didn't it?".............

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Graybeard Outdoors forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page