Thinking about giving up on my BSA Martini - Graybeard Outdoors

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-08-2019, 12:05 AM Thread Starter

Default Thinking about giving up on my BSA Martini

I bought this rifle back in the late 1980s. It's British made model 12/15 target rifle originally chambered in .22 long rifle. I got it for I considered to be a reasonable price back in the late 1980s. All I wanted was a .22 K-Hornet and it didn't sound like that hard of a project.

The fellow in VA that imported it took the barrel off and cut the chamber to K-Hornet for no extra charge. I then took it to a so called gunsmith in Newberg, OR to have the firing pin converted to center-fire. As I recall that was around 1992 and I paid the SOB $125 for the work.

The primers flowed in around the new firing pin from the start and then when it snapped after less than 100 rounds I went back to find he had closed up shop and disappeared. No one at the local gun shops back then had a clue where he'd gotten off to. I wish I could remember his name so I could slander him some.

I'm beginning to think God doesn't want me to have a rifle in this caliber so I'm about to pass it on... I'll post some pix later but what do you guys think something like this is worth?

Tony
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-08-2019, 03:12 AM

Location: Behind the Redwood Curtain, Humboldt County, California

I just got a 12/15 .22 LR for $500.

For what you have as a parts gun/backyard butcher mess: $200-300 with sights, $200-? without sights.
Good aftermarket wood would raise the price.

When you're walking on eggs; don't hop!!
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-25-2019, 03:34 AM

It shouldn't be hard for a gunsmith to fix the problem. the firing pin hole has to be shimmed. The hole too big allows the primer to be pushed back and there is no where for the metal to go. usually the firing pin hole is drilled out threaded a threaded plug put in and re drilled to a smaller size. before I gave up I would check and see if I could find a smith who could fix it. John Taylor in Puyallup Washington is the go to guy. he is very busy and it might take a while to get it back but his work is top drawer and prices are fair. his phone number can be found with a simple web search. Actually if you have a machinist friend he could probably do it. but then again having someone who really knows what they are doing is worth the cost. if you decide to sell let me know. argie1891

I am a Republican and proud to say I want the American way of life to always be here for our future generations
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-25-2019, 08:32 AM

Send a message via AIM to gene_225

There is a shop in Donald Oregon just off I 5 that seems to do great work. Might want to check them out.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-25-2019, 12:44 PM

Rich's Gun Shop 10791 Oak St NE Donald, Oregon 503-678-2626
Donald is a tiny place, They are one block north of main street. The restaurant there is a good one!
FM

Dear God please protect our troops, especially the snipers.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-25-2019, 01:11 PM

Send a message via AIM to gene_225

That's it. I had a Marlin lever repaired there and a friend had a custom 1022 built there. Both good work.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-25-2019, 01:49 PM

I have bought a couple of things there, good service. They might be closed today after the Portland Gun show, probably need to take some inventory home. It is good to know that they work on Marlin lever guns, I have a few, no problems yet.
FM

Dear God please protect our troops, especially the snipers.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-27-2019, 01:02 AM Thread Starter

I'll have to make a trip over there one of these days. I've also heard there's a guy in Hubbard that does good work. I'm in Willamina so it's a drive for me...

All the work on it was done by one gunsmith or another but one of them was an idiot. The original BSA barrel is in good shape but if I get it fixed, I'm thinking about having it reamed to .22 Super Jet just for the **** of it...

Tony
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-05-2019, 02:13 PM

Tony

You might talk to someone, gunsmith or machinist or both, and have them make a custom firing pin that is large enough to fill the FP hole. maybe even step it down at the tip. Machine it and harden the tip. I did this in school to make a sheet metal punch. If I had access to a lathe I would offer to do it myself - should not really be a very big job.

NWB
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-12-2019, 02:48 AM Thread Starter

I've buried it in the back of my safe for awhile longer. I sent my Ruger 77/.22 Hornet out for repair and it needs a new barrel. Since it's getting that done, I'm having it threaded for a silencer at the same time. It's going to take up the rest of my gun money for awhile and maybe the rest of the year. I've also had to put my AR15 build on hold...

Tony

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Graybeard Outdoors forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page