New Ruger #1 accuracy - Page 2 - Graybeard Outdoors

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-31-2019, 03:20 AM

I have an 80's 1B in .223 with a supposed 1:10 twist. I've tried to verify the twist and get about 1:11. It is a bit persnikity but sometimes I get accurate with it.

I have removed a bit of metal from the barrel rib and that was real helpful.
I installed a Wolfe hammer spring and that helped some speeding the lock time.

Some of my loads can hover around .8 to 1.25 if I work really hard and conditions are good - I can't do it consistently. I can even get a rare group at maybe .75 but that's about it.
Such a pretty gun, sure wish it would make .5 to .75 groups.

I have not done the forearm hanger fix.
Also, I have a leather cheek pad to get my head up to the scope level. I have an older 6-18 Burris AO on it but usually shoot it best at about 12x.

HTH

NRA Life

liberal Justice Hugo Black said, and I quote: "There are 'absolutes' in our Bill of Rights, and they were put there on purpose by men who knew what words meant and meant their prohibitions to be 'absolutes.'" End quote. From a recent article by Wayne LaPierre NRA
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-01-2019, 10:37 AM Thread Starter

Well, good luck with that dand. Now back to the question: 45-70 or 9.3x74R? Anyone here have experience hunting with the latter load? I know it's more popular across the pond and figure it should work well on elk out to about 300 yards. Feel like the .375 H&H is just more than I want and the 6.5x284 is in a V configuration that I'm not interested in.
post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-01-2019, 11:17 AM

Gun Cabinet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sierra Sherpa View Post
Now back to the question: 45-70 or 9.3x74R? Anyone here have experience hunting with the latter load?
Well, I have a good bit of experience with the 45-70 having got my first one, a cut down Springfield Trapdoor, around 1961 or so. But there is nothing about the 45-70 that hasn't been said ad infinitem.

Now, I've had a hankering for a 9.3x74R for quite a few years and finally lucked into a H&R barrel, rebored and rechambered to that cartridge. I used it this year to kill a small buck at 80 yards. The load was a mid-range one for the 286 gr. (PriviP) bullet I was using. To my surprise it shot beautiful groups so my load development stopped there! I haven't even tried any of the 250 gr. Noslers I have.

The results on the deer were predictable; he bled profusely and expired very quickly.

I'm still enamored with the 9.3x74R. About the only thing I can say is that felt recoil with my load seemed to be a little more then the standard 300 gr. 45-70 load. I can imagine that a maxed out 9.3 load in a light rifle like my Handi would get your attention!

Richard
Former Captain of Horse, keeper of the peace and interpreter of statute. Currently a Gentleman of Leisure.
Nemo me impune lacessit

Support your local US Military Vets Motorcycle Club
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-08-2019, 11:09 AM Thread Starter

How difficult is to find loaded ammo and/or reloading brass and bullets? Maybe I should post this question in the Big Bore forum as well. Been admiring what I read about the 9.3 but, on the other hand, I do want to shoot the gun and being retired on a fixed income has its limitations.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Graybeard Outdoors forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page