New Ruger #1 accuracy - Graybeard Outdoors

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-13-2019, 12:28 AM Thread Starter

Default New Ruger #1 accuracy

I walked away from the No. 1 long time ago when a lovely 7x57 broke my heart. It was the most beautiful gun in my cabinet but strung so badly I sold it to a buddy. This was before Ruger made their own barrels, but the two-piece stock and elevated rear sight rib, I was to learn, also were contributing factors in the dismal accuracy.

Now I am looking at a new gun and the No. 1 is beckoning once more. Wanted to ask if anyone has experience with a new No. 1 and whether accuracy has improved. The gun would be used for deer hunting in California's Sierra Nevada mountains and local rangework entertainment.

I noticed that the local Sportsmans Warehouse has a No. 1 in 6.5 Creedmoor and the sight bases are separate blocks instead of the rib so often found on the many different models. Would this contribute to better accuracy? Seemed like the separate scope mounting block set-up tended to be used on No. 1 varmint models and people seemed happy with those guns.

If this doesn't affect accuracy, then I just might opt for the .35 Whelen and its rib and hope for the best. Had been looking at a lot of the stainless steel and composite bolt guns, but I think I want to go a different route. Hope I don't wind up with a near-$1500 goose egg, so thought I'd ask. Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-13-2019, 02:04 PM

I can't comment on the newest ones out there, both mine are pretty good in the accuracy department. A 25-06 in #1B that seems to like bullets above 100 gr. This has been a varmint rifle since 2000. Lighter bullets just don't shoot that well but the heavier ones really do well, I've had several ground hog kills in the 300 to 400 yrd range. The second is a 45-70 my main deer rifle and I absolutely love this rifle. 400 gr bullets pushed about 1950 fps will hold a quarter sized group at 100 yrds . With that velocity I feel confident taking deer out to 250 yrds and it lets you know with a solid smack when that big bullet hits. This rifle was purchased in 2005, so both my rifles are a few years old neither has ever been modified or seen a gunsmith for accuracy improvements. I've allways liked single shots have an affiliation with them since my younger years, I also own a Winchester high wall and a Winchester low-wall both excellent rifles.

woods
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-13-2019, 09:34 PM

I like the Ruger #1s and had heard of problems with some of them. I have three red pad models made some years ago. I have lusted for a #1 in 22 Hornet for several years . A few months ago Lipseys commissioned a run of 1As in 22 Hornet. I ordered one and am very glad I did. It is very nice looking and shoots very well. I have read that one of the accuracy problems with some #1s stem from the rib that the rear sight is mounted on contacting the receiver. Removing a bit of metal takes care of the problem I understand. I am glad I took the plunge and bought the Hornet, love it. I guess I should add that my three red pad models are accurate as well.
FM

Dear God please protect our troops, especially the snipers.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-13-2019, 09:47 PM

I've owned a dozen #1 and #3 rifles.they are beautiful but not accurate like a good bolt gun or Winchester hi wall.still I love them! if your ruger single shot averages minute of angle you have a rare bird.
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-13-2019, 10:20 PM

I've had two of the older #1B models., One a 7mm Remmag and the other is a 30-06 that I had rechambered to A.I. I never fired factory loads in either, and once I changed the trigger on the 7mm it made a heap of difference. I tinkered with loads for both and now I can cover with a dime three shots @ 100 yards with the '06. I stupidly sold the 7 mm....

Probably wasn't any help, was I........

Tom
Alabama Hunter and firearms safety instructor

I really like my handguns and Single shot rifles!
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-13-2019, 10:44 PM

Send a message via MSN to tdoyka

yeah, so durn inaccurate....

at 100 yards/ 140gr sst

4 shots at 100 yards/ 130gr bt

ruger #1
made in 1974
270 win

Tears on a river
Push on a shove
It don't mean much
Joker on jack
Match on a fire
Cold on ice
As a dead man's touch
Whisper on a scream
Doesn't change a thing
Doesn't bring you back
Blue on black
-KWS
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-13-2019, 11:14 PM Thread Starter

Good to know that some of the older ones were shooters, though I'm still curious as to how a new #1 shoots. Flynmoose's recent .22 Hornet sounds like a keeper and looks my past 7x57 was maybe not indicative of all #1s' potential accuracy. It would be the most expensive gun purchase for me so I'm treading lightly. Appreciate the help and the pics. I'd started this quest with a compact, synthetic bolt-gun in mind for some backcountry hunting, but the siren call of this gun is hard to unhear.
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-14-2019, 11:13 AM

They are beautiful, aren't they......

Tom
Alabama Hunter and firearms safety instructor

I really like my handguns and Single shot rifles!
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-15-2019, 10:45 PM

Sierra Sherpa

Reading your post brought back a lot of memories. I too had a beautiful little #1AB in 7X57 about 25 years ago and accuracy was awful. I didn't have any trouble selling it because the wood was spectacular. Still have an old red butt #1 in .30/06 and a newer one in .45/70 and they both do pretty good but sure was disappointed with that lovely little 7X57.
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-31-2019, 12:42 AM Thread Starter

Well, the dang computer just dumped my follow-up question. So I'll try again. A local shop has 4 used #1s for sale. I'm contemplating either the .45-70 or 9.3x74R. The other two are .375 H&H and 6.5x284. I'm leaning towards the 9.3 and am prepared to deal with the cost and availability of the cartridge in this country. I plan to reload. I already have 3 .45-70s and am concerned about cooking up a hot load for the #1 and inadvertently slipping it into either my Handi rifle, Winchester 1886 Extra Light or Uberti 1885 Highwall replica. Which way would you go?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Graybeard Outdoors forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page