T/C worth the money? - Page 2 - Graybeard Outdoors

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 34 (permalink) Old 05-09-2019, 10:17 AM

Gun Cabinet

I sold off all but one of my contender stuff and also Encore I really never cared for the bad looking butt stock on contender and Encore, also never cared for having to remove screws and knock out a pin in order to change barrels That was the main reason I went to the TCR rifle pull a leaver remove for end push the break open leaver and remove barrel place new barrel on frame lock in place snap on for end and you have a different cal. Rifle and also a good looking one at that. Barrels are much harder to find but about the same price as a good encore or contender if you shop and in custom shop barrels about the same price as a good MGM barrel but then again what ever floats your boat as they say and I think we can all agree need does not enter the subject if we thought about need then we would own one rifle one shotgun and one hand gun but then life would really be dull.

Deaconllb

U S Air Force Korean vet. NRA Member
Fourth fighter wing Kimpo Korea 1952 Fourth but first, the mig killers.
533rd material ,air defence Oxnard AFB 1953-1955
Pastor of the CBCG-Fellowship group Tulsa Oklahoma.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 34 (permalink) Old 05-09-2019, 10:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DEACONLLB View Post
I sold off all but one of my contender stuff and also Encore I really never cared for the bad looking butt stock on contender and Encore, also never cared for having to remove screws and knock out a pin in order to change barrels That was the main reason I went to the TCR rifle pull a leaver remove for end push the break open leaver and remove barrel place new barrel on frame lock in place snap on for end and you have a different cal. Rifle and also a good looking one at that. Barrels are much harder to find but about the same price as a good encore or contender if you shop and in custom shop barrels about the same price as a good MGM barrel but then again what ever floats your boat as they say and I think we can all agree need does not enter the subject if we thought about need then we would own one rifle one shotgun and one hand gun but then life would really be dull.

Deaconllb
Or a drilling......

Byron

Christian by choice, American by the grace of God.

NRA LIFE, Trump for 2020
post #13 of 34 (permalink) Old 05-09-2019, 01:58 PM

I own T/C's and revolvers because I'm lazy don't like to pickup brass. Never owned an AR but once owned a Semi auto rifle and pistol but sold them both. Just to much work picking up brass.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 34 (permalink) Old 05-09-2019, 02:30 PM

Gun Cabinet

That is one of the main problems with a bolt gun I don't like to hunt the brass when I bolt in a new round, with the single shot break open remove spent round drop in another round you are good to go. The main reason that I don't own a drilling is I really have no use for one and really don't have much use for a shotgun. I have looked at several drillings at gun shows but the 2500.00 for a used gun kind of turned me off but they are very pretty. I have looked at one at the gun shows several times 16 gage with a 9.3x 74 rifle barrel it sure is nice 2500.00 and he will toss in a box of ammo. Lets see now if I duck taped 2 TCR together with a single shot 20 gage underneath would that also be a red neck drilling, Big Smile

Deaconllb

U S Air Force Korean vet. NRA Member
Fourth fighter wing Kimpo Korea 1952 Fourth but first, the mig killers.
533rd material ,air defence Oxnard AFB 1953-1955
Pastor of the CBCG-Fellowship group Tulsa Oklahoma.
post #15 of 34 (permalink) Old 05-09-2019, 06:23 PM

Who shoots deer at 200 yards with a bow? The reason we are entertaining this is solely due to our love of single shots...
post #16 of 34 (permalink) Old 05-09-2019, 07:19 PM

The TC is a great platform if you are into one receiver and multiple barrels. I went through the TC stage in my life, I do not own one at this time. Most of mine shot fair to good, loved the contender weight and length. With that said, I now own several CVA's. My preference is the Stainless Scout Compact V2. Honestly, they shoot better than my TC's did, short and light, with a great trigger, at a very affordable price. Some love wood stocks, no such a thing for the CVA's.

Pastor, NewLife Worship Center
(Retired) Automotive Technology Instructor, West Feliciana High School
Avid Shooter, Hunter, Fisherman and owner of Handi & CVA Rifles
post #17 of 34 (permalink) Old 05-09-2019, 09:19 PM

The CVA stuff looks more cost effective on a per gun basis, but caliber selection is limited and mostly stuff I do not want. CVA stuff has limited options for being reconfigured.

I was a big fan of the T/C in my late teens through my thirties.

I took a break from guns for a while and when I came back T/C was owned by S&W and their products did not match my desires.

I still play with T/C stuff, but all recent purchases have been used stuff made by the original company.
post #18 of 34 (permalink) Old 05-09-2019, 10:07 PM Thread Starter

This is the thread starter I wrote.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twingrls5 View Post
The Encore and Contender are flexible but you really shoot one caliber/rifle at the time, while some CVA rifles cost about the price of an T/C barrel but you own a separate rifle to gear an extra shooter. T/Cs custom barrels, MGM etc, cost as much as an entry level scoped bolt rifle like the Ruger American.
I own the above brands,no accuracy concern on either for my type of shooting (bow range to 200 yards deer-sized game).
Is a T/C set really worth the money for practical use?
I did not express myself correctly:

My shooting range is from bow range,say 30 yards, to 200 yards. I sure wasn't implying that I shoot deer with a bow at 200 yards (wow).

I am not comparing the mentioned firearms as in a "Chevy vs Ford" debate, I own all them.
post #19 of 34 (permalink) Old 05-10-2019, 06:35 AM

most accurate platform in my collection
post #20 of 34 (permalink) Old 05-10-2019, 09:40 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by cptjack View Post
most accurate platform in my collection
All the rifles I mentioned are fine shooters in my opinion, although no one buys a single shot break-open type rifle - or a Ruger American - for bench rest competition nor to hit a plate in the next zip code. It would still be fun to try.
I guess what I was trying to say is: If you want a quality rifle in odd caliber T/C is a good way to scratch the itch or "rock your boat", for standard calibers CVA offers reasonably priced quality. Now some not-so-standard calibers like 35 Whelen or the 450 Bushmaster make you look into CVA and Ruger a little more, don't they?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Graybeard Outdoors forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page