T/C worth the money? - Page 3 - Graybeard Outdoors

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #21 of 34 (permalink) Old 05-10-2019, 09:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dannyd View Post
I own T/C's and revolvers because I'm lazy don't like to pickup brass. Never owned an AR but once owned a Semi auto rifle and pistol but sold them both. Just to much work picking up brass.

They make strap on brass catchers for those ARs and they work. They even have a zipper to dump your brass.

I don't find two screws and a pin to change barrels a terrible chore and can do the deed in a couple of minutes without hurring. A plus is the way the Contender fits me. If one finds the contender stocks ugly they must dind precision style rifles horrid.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 34 (permalink) Old 05-10-2019, 12:04 PM

I've been wanting a T/C for many years now but for some reason never got around to getting one.
Last week at a gun show I picked up a clean early frame with a 10mm 10" barrel for what seemed a reasonable $450.
Just got into looking around at other barrels and accessories and was kind of surprised at the pricing.
I'd like to have a 357 mag barrel but most used that I see in good shape are going for close to what I paid for my gun.
I guess they end up a strong investment but entry level costs are very high, I can get some very sweet used revolvers for the price of a barrel.
Just ramblin-----------
post #23 of 34 (permalink) Old 05-10-2019, 12:34 PM

Gun Cabinet

Gun show prices are way out of line for what you can buy for if you look around, most of the time on contender or Encore forum there are some with good prices.

Deaconllb

U S Air Force Korean vet. NRA Member
Fourth fighter wing Kimpo Korea 1952 Fourth but first, the mig killers.
533rd material ,air defence Oxnard AFB 1953-1955
Pastor of the CBCG-Fellowship group Tulsa Oklahoma.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #24 of 34 (permalink) Old 05-10-2019, 01:33 PM

Look around you can find a good 357 barrel in Florida.
post #25 of 34 (permalink) Old 05-10-2019, 02:32 PM

I have Encore, Contender and CVA. Love them all. If CVA had more calibers, I think they could sell more. My Encore and Contender are all extremely accurate with pistol length barrels, but I haven't had much luck with the rifle length barrels. I have tried everything in the book, and they are just not as accurate as my bolt guns or the CVA. So far, my CVA 7mm-08 has out shot any of the rifle length TC barrels I have tried. Kind of annoying when the entire CVA is less than a TC barrel.

Really wished CVA would chamber a 357 mag in the Hunter model.

Rosewood

Go Donald Go!!
post #26 of 34 (permalink) Old 05-10-2019, 02:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rosewood View Post
I have Encore, Contender and CVA. Love them all. If CVA had more calibers, I think they could sell more. My Encore and Contender are all extremely accurate with pistol length barrels, but I haven't had much luck with the rifle length barrels. I have tried everything in the book, and they are just not as accurate as my bolt guns or the CVA. So far, my CVA 7mm-08 has out shot any of the rifle length TC barrels I have tried. Kind of annoying when the entire CVA is less than a TC barrel.

Really wished CVA would chamber a 357 mag in the Hunter model.

Rosewood
My solution was to buy a marlin 1894 CPC in 357 mag.

Byron

Christian by choice, American by the grace of God.

NRA LIFE, Trump for 2020
post #27 of 34 (permalink) Old 05-10-2019, 04:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DEACONLLB View Post
Gun show prices are way out of line for what you can buy for if you look around, most of the time on contender or Encore forum there are some with good prices.

Deaconllb
I rarely purchase anything at a show but the price for the contender was reasonable.
My thoughts on barrel pricing is based on what I see on gun broker, ebay, etc.
With most having a selling price in the $350-400 range, that's a lot of money for just a barrel.

Vietnam 1969-70, US Army Infantry, 1st Cavalry Division (Airmobile)

Support the NRA, Patriot Life Patron Member
post #28 of 34 (permalink) Old 05-10-2019, 05:26 PM

Pastorp called it right in the second post, nothing more needed said
post #29 of 34 (permalink) Old 05-10-2019, 05:57 PM

Gun Cabinet

I watch the things that sellers are trying to get for their stuff and have to almost laugh at their prices for TCR stuff one fellow has a for grip for a TCR and he has it listed for 165.00 and has a bid on it I have bought them from Ed for 35 to 50 dollars at the very most they are worth is 100 dollars. I think they list and hope someone will jump on it. One seller had a 22-250 TCR barrel a while back after he had ran it for 6 times I sent him a message with an offer and he took it.

Deaconllb

U S Air Force Korean vet. NRA Member
Fourth fighter wing Kimpo Korea 1952 Fourth but first, the mig killers.
533rd material ,air defence Oxnard AFB 1953-1955
Pastor of the CBCG-Fellowship group Tulsa Oklahoma.
post #30 of 34 (permalink) Old 05-11-2019, 10:30 AM

I got into shoot contenders over 25 years ago. It wasn't because they were a cheaper way to have multiple calibers. Although that is certainly a perk. It was more of a challenge for me. I had started hunting with a pistol a few years earlier. First with a Colt Trooper in 357 and then a S&W 629 in 44 magnum. The contender allowed me to extend my range and also have the challenges that go along with a single shot pistol. You have only one shot, so make it a good one.

I've had a lot of T\C barrels both pistol and rifle over the years. I'm down to a hand full now mainly because I've settled on what calibers I like and want to hunt with. My go to deer hunting configuration in a pistol is a scoped 12" bull barrel in 44 magnum. The frame has a set of pachmyer grips on it. My hunting buddies call it black death. Only because it has killed a lot of deer over the years. Although my MGM 21" barrel in 357 maximum is a lot of fun to shoot too. I had a nice stock and forearm from Bullberry made for it several years ago.

Jim

"The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those Who are willing to work and give to those who would not."

Thomas Jefferson

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Graybeard Outdoors forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page