Graybeard Outdoors banner

T/C worth the money?

5K views 33 replies 16 participants last post by  Twingrls5 
#1 ·
The Encore and Contender are flexible but you really shoot one caliber/rifle at the time, while some CVA rifles cost about the price of an T/C barrel but you own a separate rifle to gear an extra shooter. T/Cs custom barrels, MGM etc, cost as much as an entry level scoped bolt rifle like the Ruger American.
I own the above brands,no accuracy concern on either for my type of shooting (bow range to 200 yards deer-sized game).
Is a T/C set really worth the money for practical use?

#3 ·
Shot about 40,000 rounds in 30 years out my TC's. That being said the original TC's were great the new ones by Smith & Wesson maybe not to great. Depends on what your looking for. Back in day loved to watch guys face when we hit targets out to 200 yards with 10 barrels.

#4 ·
Well from one who has owned lots of Them I would say if you were to buy a Encore with rifle stock set and a set of pistol grip set and then maybe about 10 barrel some pistol some rifle in your favorite cal. might be ok but then after a while you get tired of going through the changing barrels then you start to pick up frames stock set next thing you know have a lot of money tied up in each gun and like you say you have more tied up in one than a good used bolt gun or auto. But then there is the bragging rights of being able to say I have x number of frames and stock sets and barrels So in the end what you may not have learned is this THEY ARE HABBIT FORMING hard to break the habit I did break it well almost I still have a G2 with a 7x30 waters rifle barrel and a 23 in vent rib 410 barrel any way I am doing ok as long as a member does not up and offer a barrel at great price did I mention I still have a 209x50 encore barrel now if some one would up and offer a encore frame and stock set at a great price see what I mean they are habit forming. But the H and R are also habit forming ask those who own a dozen or more

Deaconllb

Reactions: Jdcujo
#9 ·
If your goal is deer from bow range to 200 yds; nope, not worth it. That's a cheap problem to solve.

If your goal is to own an aesthetically pleasing single shot, with an excellent trigger, that can shoot rimfire or centerfire with a barrel swap and the twist of a lever, while weighing less than a cheap bolt gun, shorter, balances well, let's you have iron sight and an optic at the same time, and in fun calibers like 6.5x30-30AI ... its a bargain.

#10 ·
+ 1 with pretty much all the replies. It depends on what you like, and there is something to be said for having the freedom of choice. Deaconllb is absolutely right; the switch-barrel guns are habit-forming. Don't own an Encore or Contender, but do have a few TCRs and Handis. More than I need? Yep. As many as I want? Nope.

#11 ·
I sold off all but one of my contender stuff and also Encore I really never cared for the bad looking butt stock on contender and Encore, also never cared for having to remove screws and knock out a pin in order to change barrels That was the main reason I went to the TCR rifle pull a leaver remove for end push the break open leaver and remove barrel place new barrel on frame lock in place snap on for end and you have a different cal. Rifle and also a good looking one at that. Barrels are much harder to find but about the same price as a good encore or contender if you shop and in custom shop barrels about the same price as a good MGM barrel but then again what ever floats your boat as they say and I think we can all agree need does not enter the subject if we thought about need then we would own one rifle one shotgun and one hand gun but then life would really be dull.

Deaconllb

#21 ·
They make strap on brass catchers for those ARs and they work. They even have a zipper to dump your brass.

I don't find two screws and a pin to change barrels a terrible chore and can do the deed in a couple of minutes without hurring. A plus is the way the Contender fits me. If one finds the contender stocks ugly they must dind precision style rifles horrid.

#14 ·
That is one of the main problems with a bolt gun I don't like to hunt the brass when I bolt in a new round, with the single shot break open remove spent round drop in another round you are good to go. The main reason that I don't own a drilling is I really have no use for one and really don't have much use for a shotgun. I have looked at several drillings at gun shows but the 2500.00 for a used gun kind of turned me off but they are very pretty. I have looked at one at the gun shows several times 16 gage with a 9.3x 74 rifle barrel it sure is nice 2500.00 and he will toss in a box of ammo. Lets see now if I duck taped 2 TCR together with a single shot 20 gage underneath would that also be a red neck drilling, Big Smile

Deaconllb

#16 ·
The TC is a great platform if you are into one receiver and multiple barrels. I went through the TC stage in my life, I do not own one at this time. Most of mine shot fair to good, loved the contender weight and length. With that said, I now own several CVA's. My preference is the Stainless Scout Compact V2. Honestly, they shoot better than my TC's did, short and light, with a great trigger, at a very affordable price. Some love wood stocks, no such a thing for the CVA's.

#17 ·
The CVA stuff looks more cost effective on a per gun basis, but caliber selection is limited and mostly stuff I do not want. CVA stuff has limited options for being reconfigured.

I was a big fan of the T/C in my late teens through my thirties.

I took a break from guns for a while and when I came back T/C was owned by S&W and their products did not match my desires.

I still play with T/C stuff, but all recent purchases have been used stuff made by the original company.

#18 ·
This is the thread starter I wrote.

The Encore and Contender are flexible but you really shoot one caliber/rifle at the time, while some CVA rifles cost about the price of an T/C barrel but you own a separate rifle to gear an extra shooter. T/Cs custom barrels, MGM etc, cost as much as an entry level scoped bolt rifle like the Ruger American.
I own the above brands,no accuracy concern on either for my type of shooting (bow range to 200 yards deer-sized game).
Is a T/C set really worth the money for practical use?
I did not express myself correctly:

My shooting range is from bow range,say 30 yards, to 200 yards. I sure wasn't implying that I shoot deer with a bow at 200 yards (wow).

I am not comparing the mentioned firearms as in a "Chevy vs Ford" debate, I own all them.

#20 ·
All the rifles I mentioned are fine shooters in my opinion, although no one buys a single shot break-open type rifle - or a Ruger American - for bench rest competition nor to hit a plate in the next zip code. It would still be fun to try.
I guess what I was trying to say is: If you want a quality rifle in odd caliber T/C is a good way to scratch the itch or "rock your boat", for standard calibers CVA offers reasonably priced quality. Now some not-so-standard calibers like 35 Whelen or the 450 Bushmaster make you look into CVA and Ruger a little more, don't they?

#22 ·
I've been wanting a T/C for many years now but for some reason never got around to getting one.
Last week at a gun show I picked up a clean early frame with a 10mm 10" barrel for what seemed a reasonable $450.
Just got into looking around at other barrels and accessories and was kind of surprised at the pricing.
I'd like to have a 357 mag barrel but most used that I see in good shape are going for close to what I paid for my gun.
I guess they end up a strong investment but entry level costs are very high, I can get some very sweet used revolvers for the price of a barrel.
Just ramblin-----------

#23 ·
Gun show prices are way out of line for what you can buy for if you look around, most of the time on contender or Encore forum there are some with good prices.

Deaconllb

#27 ·
I rarely purchase anything at a show but the price for the contender was reasonable.
My thoughts on barrel pricing is based on what I see on gun broker, ebay, etc.
With most having a selling price in the $350-400 range, that's a lot of money for just a barrel. :tango_face_wink:

#25 ·
I have Encore, Contender and CVA. Love them all. If CVA had more calibers, I think they could sell more. My Encore and Contender are all extremely accurate with pistol length barrels, but I haven't had much luck with the rifle length barrels. I have tried everything in the book, and they are just not as accurate as my bolt guns or the CVA. So far, my CVA 7mm-08 has out shot any of the rifle length TC barrels I have tried. Kind of annoying when the entire CVA is less than a TC barrel.

Really wished CVA would chamber a 357 mag in the Hunter model.

Rosewood

#29 ·
I watch the things that sellers are trying to get for their stuff and have to almost laugh at their prices for TCR stuff one fellow has a for grip for a TCR and he has it listed for 165.00 and has a bid on it I have bought them from Ed for 35 to 50 dollars at the very most they are worth is 100 dollars. I think they list and hope someone will jump on it. One seller had a 22-250 TCR barrel a while back after he had ran it for 6 times I sent him a message with an offer and he took it.

Deaconllb

#30 ·
I got into shoot contenders over 25 years ago. It wasn't because they were a cheaper way to have multiple calibers. Although that is certainly a perk. It was more of a challenge for me. I had started hunting with a pistol a few years earlier. First with a Colt Trooper in 357 and then a S&W 629 in 44 magnum. The contender allowed me to extend my range and also have the challenges that go along with a single shot pistol. You have only one shot, so make it a good one.

I've had a lot of T\C barrels both pistol and rifle over the years. I'm down to a hand full now mainly because I've settled on what calibers I like and want to hunt with. My go to deer hunting configuration in a pistol is a scoped 12" bull barrel in 44 magnum. The frame has a set of pachmyer grips on it. My hunting buddies call it black death. Only because it has killed a lot of deer over the years. Although my MGM 21" barrel in 357 maximum is a lot of fun to shoot too. I had a nice stock and forearm from Bullberry made for it several years ago.

Jim

#31 ·
Twingrls5. I misread your post and apologize. I see now what you meant. From bow range to 200 yards. Sorry. The Thompson platform is addictive and I find them very accurate within the lengths of barrels and calibers I shoot. I have only had 1 that would not shoot well and it was the scope not the barrel...

#33 ·
Completely off-topic. Can you switch barrels on the Henry single shots? I read something about taking them down that warned against removing the forend, haven't seen anything on switching barrels.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.