Graybeard Outdoors banner

45/70

8K views 24 replies 15 participants last post by  mauserand9mm 
#1 ·
I'm in the hunt for a new 45/70. Looking hard at the Henry? Anyone have one? My other option is buying an H&R barrel, I have a frame and stock. I'd love to hear how the Henry shoots.

#2 ·
Good looking and smooth action. Horrible triggers. I have a couple Henry lever actions I would not get rid of. Also have a couple h&r’s. I would buy a barrel for the H&r if it were me. Trigger pull will be 7-9 pounds on the Henry. If you want it lighter you’ll have to change springs out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#3 ·
Just got off the phone with a LGS. He has the blued and brass versions in stock. Going in the morning to look them over.

#4 ·
Buy your self a Marlin 1895 leaver gun they are great I had one in my marlin collection and loved it wish I had kept the 1895 when I sold my collection. The Henrys are also very nice.
Deaconllb

#5 ·
I know where there is an 1895 GBL at a different shop. The thought has crossed my mind several times. It has a very natural feel going to my shoulder. Any idea how they do with cast bullets?

#6 ·
No all I shot in mine were the copper rifle bullets but if you go over to cast bullets forum there are plenty of members that can help you on your question

Deaconllb

#10 ·
I shoot Laser Cast 405 GR hard lead bullets in all of my 45-70s. I recently bought a Marlin 1895 and it shoots great! I don't hotrod anything anymore shoot mostly Trail Boss loads. I have used published loads of 4198 and SR4759 in the past, both are OK but the Trail Boss load is easier on the shoulder.
FM

#11 ·
Seems the replies have drifted a bit from the original single shot question.

So, I'd suggest doing a search for a RUGER #1 in 45/70.

Mine, with the 22" barrel is so light and handy in the field, it is a joy to carry. It has also accounted for a bunch of deer and three elk, all with a 465gr Wide Flat Nose cast starting out at about 1650fps.

I tested to much higher velocities (2500fps with a 355gr cast), but this seems the sweet spot for this 465gr bullet.

Crusty Deary Ol'Coot

#12 ·
Mine is an NEF single shot 45-70. I'm happy with it. Been shooting 340 grain cast out of it for years.

My friend just bought a new to him Henry single shot and brought it over the other day. Seems pretty sweet to me from what I saw and shot of it.

Double ditto on the freakishly hard trigger pull. I thought the safety was on first time I tried to pull that. I'd HAVE to do something about that. But it seemed to shoot pretty good, both his store bought bullets and my cast seemed to shoot well and to the same point of aim.

#13 ·
I've had several 45/70 Handi's, stupidy sold them. I have long wanted a Henry so I grabbed this one. Dang they use some nice wood!!

Attachments

Reactions: jeffsmith13
#14 ·
My Son now owns my Handi in 45/70. If I still hunted, It would still sit at my house. Loved the gun. I think singleshot rifles are the way to go for hunting, and the H&R for the money was hard to beat. Think of how many I could buy with the price of one Ruger #1. And they do the job as well IMHO.Pretty is as pretty does.I know! Rugers are built like beautiful tanks and can handle hot loads,but so do the Handi's, and If I scratch one I hardly notice.

Reloading for it was fun! I even loaded a mouse round with Trailboss and a 50 cal. roundball resized to fit.It traveled at about 1200 fps, and kicked like a 223,but a lot quieter.
Also played around with Black loads. Cleaning is a snap with the singleshot barrel. Get yourself a barrel for that Handi action.

#15 ·
Finally got to shoot it. I gave all my 45/70 reloads and supplies to my brother so I bought some ammo at the last gun show. Sierra 300 gr hollow points listed at 2050 fps. No chrony today but I've shot enough 45/70's to know these are all over that. These things were brutal. Rumors of heavy triggers on these guns are true. I'd say it's every bit of the 8# I've read about. There is no creep and it breaks clean. I managed to keep 3 shots under an inch at 50 yards despite the trigger and healthy recoil.

#18 ·
Shot it at 50 yards today with the new trigger spring. Pretty windy but I’m happy. This is an experimental load of 30.0 gr of 2400, 300 gr Remington hp. Searching for a lighter kicking deer load.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#21 ·
I had a Ruger number 1 and it was a nice gun but it went with my Ruger collection when I sold it I now have a 44-70 barrel for my TCR 83/87 rifles very nice barrel made by SSK custom shop it is a heavy conture.

Deaconllb

#22 ·
My 2 CT’s. If you want a really nice looking gun, go for the Henry. As to trigger, the fix on mine was easy, just removed little inner spring. seems like it cut pullweight in half & no miss fires. From what I read it doesn’t work in all cases. If you just want a good shooter with a good trigger, look at CVA. I have 3 , have the scout V2 in 45/70 ,stainless with muzzle break.very good shooter.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.