How many TCR 83/87 owners? - Page 2 - Graybeard Outdoors

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-04-2019, 08:38 PM

I am just now becoming interested in the tcr platform thanks to you guys for putting it on my radar...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-07-2019, 08:19 PM

Had one in 22-250, like a dumb s*** traded it off on something or another.
Don't think my hands are particularly small but the double triggers were a stretch to use.
post #13 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-16-2019, 02:16 PM

I've had my TCR 83 since about 1995.

3 barrels, 22-250, 243, and a 30-06.

I think now I just keep it for the 243, I have the other calibers in other rifles.

Any one looking to trade for a 30-06 or 22-250?

bull
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 22 (permalink) Old 10-04-2019, 07:50 AM

I’ve owned a few. Sold an 83 aristocrat frame and traded a TCR 83 30/06 for a Neil Cost box call. Currently have an 87 frame with 2 .308 barrels and just purchased a 7x64 Brenner 87 barrel. The TCR 87 is one of my favorite rifles to hunt with. I also enjoy hunting turkeys with single-shot shotguns as well. Love the old Savage 220’s and the Beretta 412s and those similar.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	BB4C8181-AEB6-4BDF-BF03-D0168F7B52D0_1570191807338.jpeg
Views:	23
Size:	2.55 MB
ID:	234798  

Last edited by Blackddot Calls; 10-04-2019 at 08:23 AM.
post #15 of 22 (permalink) Old 10-04-2019, 08:44 AM

I've always admired the European stalking rifle and the TCR comes close to that image. I never got a deal together for a TCR but finally dug deep and coughed up the bills for a genuine Franz Kettner stalking rifle in 6.5x52R which is the same as our 25/35. It's good for under 2moa with Hornady 25/35 or any reasonable handload.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Kettner full left side.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	526.7 KB
ID:	234800  

The story of David & Goliath only demonstrates the superiority of ballistic projectiles over hand weapons, poor old Goliath never had a chance.
post #16 of 22 (permalink) Old 10-04-2019, 02:58 PM Thread Starter

Gun Cabinet

That is one fine looking rifle. One reason I finally went for the TCR was the good stream line looks and the ease of switching barrels. I have never had a problem with holding zero with mine. I bought a 83 mag frame with a 25-06 custom shop barrel sighted it in and took barrel off and put in my barrel storage locker, 5 years later I took it out put on an 87 frame and shot it one time to check, it was still almost dead center of the bulls eye. maybe I got lucky but I was happy.

Deaconllb

U S Air Force Korean vet. NRA Member
Fourth fighter wing Kimpo Korea 1952 Fourth but first, the mig killers.
533rd material ,air defence Oxnard AFB 1953-1955
Pastor of the CBCG-Fellowship group Tulsa Oklahoma.
post #17 of 22 (permalink) Old 10-06-2019, 04:39 PM

I've had five TCR's for quite a while with around three barrels assigned to each receiver, plus enough forends of various contours for every barrel on each receiver to have enough forends without the individual receivers having to share forends. That is, each forend has the serial number of the receiver it goes to written in its barrel chanel. Also, I recently bought another TCR to have around as a "parts rifle" in case one I use needs repair. Just today I got done revising a document on these guns so I can keep strait which barrels go with which receiver and it includes data on the idiosyncrasies of these guns, my stash of spare parts, spare barrels not used and handloading data for the cartridges in each of the barrels. It is 35 pages long and when I pass on I think it will help my heirs figure out how to divide them up (or just sell them). Any way I am a real TCR enthusiast and wish there were a TCR forum and that there would be a lot of activity on it. Also, the following text is part of the introduction on that document.

"The original Thompson-Center model TCR-83 and later model TCR-87 single-shot break-over rifle/shotguns are no longer manufactured, nor are factory barrels for them. However, it appears their lifetime warranty might be honored by Smith & Wesson who recently purchased Thompson-Center. In the United States people often think of single-shot break-over guns as bottom of the line, cheap beginnerís firearms, and some guns of this action type are. In Europe the opinion on break-overs is different. There are many fine rifles produced in this configuration. When first introduced, the TCR-83ís had a price tag about the same as the falling block single-shot Ruger No. 1 rifles which have never been considered inexpensive rifles. Some consider falling blocks to be of a better design than break-overs. However, the break-over guns are handier for using in most hunting situations, especially when scope mounted. Scopes get in the way of the loading port for falling block guns. Break-over guns can be easily loaded, even when scope mounted, and can quickly be broken over to provide complete safety, and then closed quickly when needed for shooting. Also, bolt action rifles can have stocks with optimum cheek support for shooting with iron sights but with a scope, an optimum level for the cheek-piece is generally not possible because it would interfere with pulling the bolt back. With falling block rifles, the level of the cheek-piece must be limited to provide clearance for the use of a cleaning rod. Break-over guns can be either broken over or disassembled for cleaning so having a stock with a higher cheek-piece is not a problem. In addition, break-over guns can be disassembled and shipped in smaller packages which do not advertise so much that there is a gun within. This is an advantage when traveling to a hunting destination by airplane where some guns are stolen by some luggage handlers. Some think that being limited to one shot is a significant disadvantage when hunting but in reality, it is not. If one cannot hit a standing animal with a first shot, what is the likelihood that one can hit a running animal with a second or third shot? Another significant advantage of break-over single-shot guns is that they are shorter than bolt actions. For example, the TCR-87 rifle is 4 inches shorter than a Model 700 Remington with the same stock pull and the same length barrel. With this advantage, for the same overall length gun, one can have a longer barrel for more velocity or for less muzzle blast. And the 4 inches shorter overall length is especially important if one is using suppressors which are usually 7 to 9 inches long. Finally, an important additional benefit is that break-over single-shot guns can have interchangeable barrels chambered for different cartridges making them usable for different purposes."
post #18 of 22 (permalink) Old 10-06-2019, 05:17 PM Thread Starter

Gun Cabinet

Hello Don glad to see you posting on this thread when you have the time and from our exchange on post and emails I know you have the answer to this question, what were the standard not custom shop barrels that were offered in the TCR 83 as well as the 87 Hunter. I know they ran from 22 Hornet up to 300 win mag but I think there were several in the 30-06 and maybe 375 Winchester range. I know about the 32-40 and also know there was a 10 and 12 Gage in shotgun as well as two slug barrels 22 inch 12 gage one rifled and one smooth bore with open sights.
I am still looking for that hard to find 7x57 Mouser. I have all that were offered I think from Hornet to 32-40 in rifle barrels in standard run not custom shop barrels.

Deaconllb

U S Air Force Korean vet. NRA Member
Fourth fighter wing Kimpo Korea 1952 Fourth but first, the mig killers.
533rd material ,air defence Oxnard AFB 1953-1955
Pastor of the CBCG-Fellowship group Tulsa Oklahoma.
post #19 of 22 (permalink) Old 10-10-2019, 05:13 PM

I got his from Fox Ridge Outfitters Catalogue No. 17...

Rifle barrels in calibers .22 Hornet, .222 Rem, .223 Rem, .22-250, .243 Win, .270 Win, 7MM/08, 7MM Rem Mag, .308 Win. .30-06, and .300 Win Mag were available in 23-inch and only .22-250, 7MM/08 and .32/40 were available in 25-7/8 inch. Shotgun field barrels in 25-inch length were available in 12 gauge and 10 gauge and in a 22-inch length were available in 12 gauge smoothbore slug and 12- gauge rifled slug. It also shows Custom Shop barrels available in 37 calibers but I got one in .22 Cooper Centerfire Magnum which was available for Contenders but they made me one for the TCR, possibly the only one made.
post #20 of 22 (permalink) Old 10-11-2019, 07:45 AM

In Catalog No. 17 they show these for Custom Shop barrel calibers...

.17 Mach IV, .17 Rem, .22 Hornet, .22 K Hornet, .222 Rem, .22 PPC, .223 Rem, .222 Rem Mag, .22-250, .220 Swift, 6MM PPC, 6MM TCU, .243 Win, .257 TCU, .257 Roberts, .25-06, 6.5 TCU, 6.5X55, .264 Win Mag, .270 Win, 7MM TCU, 7MM-08, .284 Win, 7MM Rem Mag, 7X57, 7.62X39, .280 Rem, 308 Win, .30-06, .300 Win Mag, .35 Whelen, .375 Win, .38/55 Win, .416 Rem Mag and .45-70. It looks like the standard barrel length was 24 inches but there was also a 20-inch option and a "bull barrel" option. My .22 CCM is a "bull barrel" with a muzzle dia of .75 but that only makes about an 8-pound rifle. It also says they would make other lengths and one time when I called they said that they could make a 26-inch barrel. Barrels could be in a matte or high luster finish and there was the option of Mag-na-Porting, and the .416 Barrels came with a T/C Muzzle Tamer.

Catalog No. 9 showed buttstocks and forends of select walnut and checkering on grips and forends not already having checkering. There was and option to refinish shiny finish barrels or receiver in matte finish or vise versa. The put a matte finish on my TCR-83 and also did the Magnum Conversion on it.

Wish the Thompson-Center Custom Shop was still around!!!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Graybeard Outdoors forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in