Graybeard Outdoors banner

350 legend

18K views 39 replies 19 participants last post by  Rushcreek 
#1 ·
Is there any single shot rifle maker that will make this caliber. It would be good for primative hunting in Louisiana.

#2 ·
Just buy a 357 Maximum.

1) Its a proper 35 caliber barrel.

2) Rims are better suited to a SS action.

3) MANY more readily available projectiles.

You can thank me Later. 😉

CW

Reactions: Jeff H
#6 ·
I had just ordered one CVA Scout V2 in 350 Legend from Buds.
I was debating between 357 Max or 350 Legend. For the 357 max, I was going to buy a Henry ss in 357 mag and convert it to max. But I already have that arrangement in an H&R handy rifle. So, no matter how much I wanted another 357 max, it would not have made sense in my case. So, I went for the CVA Scout v2.
Any one has any experience with this type of rifle?
Camba

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#8 ·
I’ve got my cva scout v2 in 350 Legend.
It looks nice just a little rough to open compared with my tc contenders and encore. Added some oil and seem to help some. The part that is related to the take down has some not so pretty weldings. It looked as if someone performed a tack weld, compared to the barrel action hinge connector that it is professionally done. I will check some 180 gr factory loads to see how it shoots.
Camba

#9 ·
Camba,
I'm interested in seeing a side by side ballistic comparison of the Maxi Handi and the CVA Legend. My suspicions are similar to CW's - why get a Legend when, in a single shot rifle, the Maxi gets it done with ease? I killed a 190lb black bear this year with my Maxi and lead cast bullets. I can't imagine a better 35 caliber straight wall cartridge for a single shot rifle.

Thanks, Dinny

#10 ·
I went to the range today and after I sighted in, I shot a 5-shot group were 4 shots made a one small ragged hole and one flyer that went about 1/2” lower than the ragged hole. That was at 50 yards. I will place a picture later on that.
For an out of the box rifle, shooting the Win 350 legend factory load with 180 gr power point at 2150 fps (from memory but it is close to that).
I have bought some 180 gr speer .358 cal bullets that I will try with the 357 max.
I have not made any groups that small with the max yet but I had only used H4227 powder or other pistol powders and nothing serious.
I am not abandoning the max, i am adding diversity to my shooting stuff.
I came hone after the range and I reload some 9mm 115 gr jhp over some 2400 powder. I used my Hornady 35 cal neck sizer and then I use the 9mmP carbide sizer die for less than 1/2” and then I flare the mouth to seat the bullet with the 9mmP bullet seater. The loaded cartridges look good! I will find out later this week how they do. I don’t expect any good accuracy as all I wanted to do was to see if I can mix and match dies to reload this round; and I fid it.
I will add more info next time.
Camba

#11 ·
If the throat is to SAAMI spec you will not get a .358 bullet into it; .357 throats. Might get you a .356 sizer and run the .358 bullets through it first.

#13 ·
Seems Mr. Hawks either wrote his article in haste or just early on after the birth of the .350 Legend and without enough research.

As such, Indiana law requires a 0.357" minimum diameter bullet only on public ground and it does not have to be straight-walled.

The Legend does not utilize a 0.357" bullet, but a 0.355" bullet to match their groove diameter.

Winchester says that the case is similar to, but the .223 Remington is not a parent case.

After getting that far into the article, I quit reading.

Disclaimer- just as the SAAMI spec was changed after adoption, some of this info may become out of date due to continued changes.

#14 ·
Does not matter what Winchester does with or to the Legend, a single shot rifle should use rimmed cartridges.

#17 ·
Reliable extraction/ejection and it just looks right. With straight cases the rim is much more reliable in establishing head space than the case mouth.

#20 ·
. AMEN!!

This has been hashed and re hashed here for YEARS.

Guys dont just understand, so ignorance is bliss I guess.

People pic a caliber and defend it until they find the next one. God bless them.

Some guys over in CB thought that that taper would do fine for HS... They learned. 😉

I like the 350 too. But I like it cause it is simular to the Maxi. The Maxi paved these roads.

Speaking to 350 doing things the Maxi cannot... Dinny is shooting my 270 Cast at 1700+ fps... Then killin bears with is. 🙂
DONT TRY THAT in you 350 repeaters.

CW

#18 ·
A lot of non-rimmed cartridge Encores are sold happy customers.

A rim is nice, but with the taper on the 350L, snatching them out should not be a big deal.

For reloaders, headspacing is just a function of getting the right case length.

On the plus side of things, with a break open, 350L reloaders do not need to worry about crimping to avoid bullet movement during chambering.

For a break open, I do agree that the 357 max is physically better. However, factory ammo availability / used brass availability makes the 350L a choice that is as good or better for many.

#19 ·
Man I hope all them guys shooting 223's and the various TCU's and other rimless rounds in contenders/encores/h&r's all these years know they are totally missing the boat and doing it all wrong.

I am a 357MAX fan myself, but after playing with the 350Legend in a 20 inch barrel, I guess I am just super happy the Legend was invented. The legend can do things the Max cannot do ballisticly speaking, plus you can go to the gun shop and buy ammo for it, so there is that. That whole must be a rim thing is way overrated especially on a tapered case like the 350 Legend in this guys opinion. I even converted a couple of 256WIN MAG contender barrels over with 223 extractors so I could use the much more robust and CHEAP 223 brass instead of 357 mags.

My current 350Legend used to be a 223REM Interarms Mini Mauser and it is really impressing me the more I play with it. Also included is a pic of the homecast by me RCBS 35-200 that the 350 launches with more AUTHORITY than I could ever accomplish in the 357MAX without destroying the brass. I would not hesitate for a second to get a 350Legend in a contender or encore. In fact I aim to do just that someday. I think some people fight change just for the sake of fighting change.

Attachments

#22 ·
Well, I guess I'm one of those Contender, Encore guys(i also have Handy or three), and yes we shoot quite a few rimless cartridges, and yes they do work, but we still prefer rimmed when possible. Sometimes we even go out of our way to build rims on rimless cases, etc. I once had a .45 Mag S-14 Contender barrel and it was a very nice barrel, but it was super nice once I rechambered it to .45 Colt.
For what it's worth I've looked at the .350 Legend too, think it would make a nice upper for my AR.
Walt

#28 · (Edited)
Some pictures of my CVA Scout V2 observations and some reloads to test when the weather helps in MO.

Pictures:
1. Center round is the 350 Legend 180gr Power Point factory (Box in bacground)
2. Took the CVA Scout V2 barrel and this is a close up picture of the welding finish
3. Close up of the welding on the snap-on forearm counterpart
4. A 115gr 9mm bullet (right) compared to the 180gr Speer JSP flat nose (left) this length jams into the rifling. I pushed just a hear (will show in another picture below, and it fits the chamber fine)
5. 350 Legend case loaded with Lee 200gr RNF with gas check, sized at .359" Fits the chamber fine at that size; further than that seems a little tight.
6. 5-Round reloads using the Speers 180gr JSP FN bullet to test later. I went slightly over the crimping groove because I don't have yet my 350L dies so I am using a 9mm seating die. I will use the 357 mag sitting die next and that may be better.
7. As mentioned in item 4 above, the Speers 180gr JSP FN bullet at max length that still fits the chamber compared to a 115gr JHP 9mm bullet in the 350L.
8. After sighting the rifle, I decided to take a 5-shot group at 50-yds to be 1.5" high to be 0" at 150-yds (as shown in the factory ammo box for the 180gr PPT bullet load). Disregard the .22 rimfire I shot with my revolver while waiting for the rang to go cold and retrieve my target.
9. Just the same 9mm 115gr load that I will be testing over 16.2gr of 2400.

More info later when I do some test. I am curious how it will behave with the .358 (180gr, 158gr) .359 Lee 200gr, and the 9mm 115 bullets.
Camba

Attachments

#29 ·
Good on you with having a large throat. Opens up Many possibilities for bullets!

My Ruger difficultly closes on a 357 wont
Close on a .358. I size to .356 W/ good accuracy. Lead or jacketed.

CW

#30 ·
This 350 legend is one fine rifle. I have one in a Savage axis its a shooter like said one rag hole in its uses a .357 bullet. I never shot a deer this year but a friend got 2 with his CVA Legend one at 115 yards one at 160 plus yards. said blew the heart open and lungs mush.

#31 ·
I like to shoot all my SS rifles whatever caliber, including my CVA 350 Legend. Shot better than I can out of the box! My Son in Law shot his first ever deer with it using factory 180 gr ammo. Shot where he pointed and doe dropped right there!

#32 ·
I took my cva 350 legend for some reloads workout.
1. I tried some 115gr 9mm pistol bullet over some 2400 powder. Not bad but I did not like the functioning.
2. Tried 180gr Speer jsp (0.358” de ia.) got a vertical string group of over 3” at 50 yds.
3. Tried the Lee 357-200-RF over 20.2 gr of H110 with LRP (non m magnum primers) and I’ve got a tiny group. I need to reproduce that load but using magnum primers. I wonder what velocity that was but it hit about 1.5” high at 50 yds; same as the 180gr factory ammo I shown above.
I will load some pictures when I get a chance.

BTW, I also tested the 357 Maximum H&R rifle with same load and components for comparison.
Camba

#33 ·
I took my cva 350 legend for some reloads workout.
1. I tried some 115gr 9mm pistol bullet over some 2400 powder. Not bad but I did not like the functioning.
2. Tried 180gr Speer jsp (0.358” de ia.) got a vertical string group of over 3” at 50 yds.
3. Tried the Lee 357-200-RF over 20.2 gr of H110 with LRP (non m magnum primers) and I’ve got a tiny group. I need to reproduce that load but using magnum primers. I wonder what velocity that was but it hit about 1.5” high at 50 yds; same as the 180gr factory ammo I shown above.
I will load some pictures when I get a chance.

BTW, I also tested the 357 Maximum H&R rifle with same load and components for comparison.
Camba

.... and how did they compare??

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.