LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-21-2020, 09:13 PM

Gun Cabinet

https://tippmannarmory.com/shop-all/

NMLRA Life Member
"All you need for happiness is a good gun, a good horse and a good wife." - D. Boone
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-21-2020, 10:57 PM

I no longer have a FFL, but occasionally do some work for friends. I am glass bedding some traditional ML rifles at present, and some other odd jobs. I do hot bluing, rust bluing, browning and Parkerizing. I built 7 custom long range rifles on Savage 10 actions last year, 5 of them were 6XC's with Shilen and Krieger barrels. I am currently building myself a 98 Mauser in 7x57. I had 3 strokes in one day a little over 2 years ago, which left me with my right leg mostly paralyzed, and have 50% use of my right hand on a bad day, normal days are, well normal. I had to take disability/early retirement from my position of 20 years as a Supervisor with Dept of Juvenile Justice here in KY, at a facility with kids who were felons. I can only get out and work in my shop, 1-2 hours a day, maybe a little longer on a good day. I suffer from chronic fatigue, and when I get too tired, I start having the symptoms of a stroke, such as slurred speech, cant think clearly, my face droops, and so on. I still try to shoot something every day, except on Sunday. All the docs I see, say I am a miracle, to be cognitive and mobile. I managed to get out and take 4 deer last year, 2 of them with a X bow. I am blessed to be able to do what I do. I don't charge folks anything to do what work I do now.
post #13 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-22-2020, 12:31 PM

I have Low Walls in 22LR, 22 MAG, 22 Hornet, 223 and a High Wall in 22-250.
They are all accurate and great looking, to me anyway. The most I paid for one is $1500. There is a good selection in online sales sites.
FM

Dear God please protect our troops, especially the snipers.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 16 (permalink) Old Today, 02:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by koger View Post
Well here is my 2 cents worth. These reside in my present collection, all are lookers, and everyone of them gets shot, frequently. Some may turn their nose at the Henrys, but with my trigger work, they all shoot 3/4" with a scope, and better than I can with open sights. Everyone of these rifles will shoot, with about anything out there. I shoot these rifles on a rotating basis, no safe queens here. All are well cared for. I have had some Ruger #1 and #3's. The Henry's listed below, were more consistent, and outshot them, every one. These guns range in $$ between $300-$1200, what I paid for them. I feel like I got a deal on every one of them. One of my most treasured is the 7mm Mauser Rolling block. Bargains are out there, if you look hard, have the money at hand, and are prudent. I sold off a huge amount of $100-$300 guns, valued at that, that I usually had half that in, due to me being a gunsmith for 36+Years. I sold them off over 3 years, and accrued all these listed, in that same time frame, by attending local shows, and perusing the internet.
1. Browning Hi Wall-45/70, 28" tapered octagon
2.Winchester Hi wall-38/55 28" tapered octagon
3. Remington roller, made in 1990, 45/70, by Remington, 30" with MVA peep sight
4. Husqvarna 67, 12.7x44R or 50/60.
5, Pedersoli 1874 Sharps, 32" long range 45/70
6. H &R Trapdoor, Little bighorn, carbine.
7. Original Trapdoor, made in 1884, 45/70/, rifle, mint bore.
8. Original #1 Remington Roller, recased, rebarreled with a heavy 30" half octagon/round, restocked and blued.
9, Original Remington Military Roller, 7mm Mauser, mint bore, mint case colors, 95% blue and wood.
10. Henry Single shot 45/70, with beautiful grained walnut.
11. Henry single shot in .243 with waterfall grained walnut
12. Henry single shot in .30/30
13. Henry single shot in .223
14. H&R Buffalo Hunter, 45/70,32" barrel, walnut stock. This gun will shoot with any rifle listed above, irons, peep or scoped, with cast bullets, or some hot jacketed loads. I sold this once and was sick till I got it back.
Your thoughts welcomed on all this.

I have #14 and is my favorite gun. It shoots anything I feed it very well. I shoot it with the open sights and have taken many deer with it. It was a best buy buy many many years ago. I love it, it feels like a part of me when carrying it while hunting. Low light conditions are the only drawback with the black sights, but well worth all of the plusses. The H&R BC 45/70 should still be produced, but I fear they would charge a mint now for one.
post #15 of 16 (permalink) Old Today, 05:05 PM

Don't know where they are made, but they are obviously made well ! ...But of course, one would by necessity, have to be found in the used market !

http://www.winchesterguns.com/produc...-low-wall.html

If everyone is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking.. (Gen George S. Patton)

Last edited by ironglow; Today at 05:09 PM.
post #16 of 16 (permalink) Old Today, 06:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ironglow View Post
Don't know where they are made, but they are obviously made well ! ...But of course, one would by necessity, have to be found in the used market !

http://www.winchesterguns.com/produc...-low-wall.html
From what I had heard is that is is still manufactured by Miroku and is still the same as the Browning version but now is stamped Winchester. Of course its been awhile since I read that so it could have changed.

Bruce

Lord, Please help me
Keep my small mind open
and my big mouth shut.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Graybeard Outdoors forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page