Single Shot Rifle Picures - Page 3 - Graybeard Outdoors

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #21 of 206 (permalink) Old 09-03-2007, 03:50 PM

Default Re: Single Shot Rifle Picures

Here's a photo of my .7&mm Rem mag...

I've got a 30-06 A.I. that looks the same....

Tom
Alabama Hunter and firearms safety instructor

I really like my handguns and Single shot rifles!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 206 (permalink) Old 09-03-2007, 03:53 PM

It works well If I do my part!

Tom
Alabama Hunter and firearms safety instructor

I really like my handguns and Single shot rifles!
post #23 of 206 (permalink) Old 09-03-2007, 04:34 PM

The barrel on this rifle was from a .50 BMG and has a twist rate of one turn in 15 inches. I think that is way faster than needed to stabilize the lead bullets I am using, so is probably not ideal for accuracy. Plus the bullets may be slipping in the rifling because the pitch is so steep. However, the rifling is very deep which may be good. And I don't think the barrel is super-smooth either. Anyway, I think this rifle may not have a lot of potential for accuracy compared to one with a barrel better suited to a black powder cartridge. Here are some photos to show some groups.

Above is a group at 50 yards with 600-grain Barnes Originals, their old soft point jacketed bullets. Power charge was 115 grains of AA8700 and velocity was 1,600 fps. It's the typical 4-MOA group I would expect with that load, but I was concerned about pressure because the barrel's groove diameter is 0.507 and the bullets are 0.510. That's what got me started into paper patching.

Above is a group with 720-grain round-nose paper patched bullets. The bullets were cast from an NEI mold I have, which turned out to be too large in diameter, (my mistake). I had them lathe turned to a smaller diameter. The powder charge was 115 grains of AA8700. The same as for the 600-grain Barnes bullets, and the velocity was 1,750 fps. That's 150 fps higher with a heavier bullet. The folks at Accurate Arms told me the reason is because their AA8700 powder is not burning well with the light 600 grain bullets. That is, the heavier bullets let the chamber build up more pressure for a better burn. This was a 50-yard group, again, about 4 MOA.

Above is a 5-shot 100-yard group of about 2.5 MOA. This was with 690-grain round-nose hammer-swaged paper-patched bullets. Velocity was 1,660 fps and the powder charge was 110 grains of AA8700. If it shot that well all the time I would be happy as the smallest animals I will probably shoot with it will be whitetail deer, and that's good enough accuracy to get them at 200 yards. And I think trajectory limits this rifle to around 200 yards.

Above is a 100-yard group of about 2.25 MOA. This was with 575-grain hollow-point hammer-swaged paper-patched bullets. Velocity was 1,625 fps and like the group above it, the powder charge was 110 grains of AA8700. Again reducing the bullet weight resulted in a lower velocity. Again, I think groups like this are fine for this type rifle.

The above group is the same load as the previous one except that the bullets weighed about 580 grains instead of 575 grains. However, accuracy was poor. This is a 50-yard group so it is almost 6 MOA. The only thing I can think of is that the more accurate groups were shot in cool or cold weather. This 50-yard group was shot during August when the temperature may have been 90 degrees F. I had a .22 Hornet that shot under 1.0 MOA during hot weather, but about 2.0 MOA during cold weather. Maybe this rifle and loads behaves in just the opposite manner. I will try it again in a month or so when we get cool temperatures.

The above photo is of a 575-grain hollow-point paper-patched bullet I dug out of the dirt behind a 100-yard target. This was a hot load with AA3100 powder with a muzzle velocity of 1,900 fps. They say one needs to use pure or at least a very soft lead for hammer-swaging. However, I think very soft lead may expand too much at 1,900 fps for use against large game where good penatration is required. Notice how the bullet is almost turned inside out. That is a .380 pistol cartridge inside the back-side of the bullet. If I would ever use this rifle on large game, I would cast bullets out of a harder alloy and lathe-turn them to proper diameter with large flat noses, and then I would paper-patch them.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #24 of 206 (permalink) Old 09-04-2007, 11:15 PM

I dunno Iowa Don, that looks like pretty good shootin' to me. I've been experimenting with different jacket material, using "belted magnum" case heads - like 7mm Rem Mag with the belt turned off - and that's about the precision I get. There's certainly no reason NOT to try to get it better, but as you say, it's probably minute of deer out to 200 yds. You might discuss with Bob Souter of Northwest Custom Projectiles .50 caliber bullets with higher BCs. He's got some good bullets made with pure lead cores and pure copper jackets. The flat-based 500-grainers I got from him were extraordinarily uniform in weight. I just ordered some rebated boat-tail 500-grainers from him as well as more of FBs. I should get them this week. As I said above, I am in the process of regulating the sights on the .50 Alaskan, and a range session on Sunday, while not complete, was productive. My calcs put the flat-based 500-grain bullet doing 1650 f/s at the muzzle, about 32" down at 300 using a sight-in for a 12" target (Plus and minus 6" from LOS). That's my bison load. The RBTs might reduce that drop to 24".

Quote:
the heat creeps down and also softens the "head of the case"!!! This is VERY dangerous on a high pressure round!!!

You may not get into trouble with the 50 Alaskan, but someone with a modern magnum will!!! So, i hope no one decides to use your method on a high pressure round...
Well actually I've been using that procedure for decades including some 60,000+ PSI cartridges, (measured, not "estimated") without problem. While it is certainly true that the heat will migrate down the case, it does not do so sufficiently to soften the head. The proof of that is clear in the case coloring.

It is also my understanding that Bill Fuller was the creator of the .50 Alaskan as well as another handful of cartridges built on the blown-out case of the .348 Win. In my opinion, all of them are worthy cartridges.

Paul
post #25 of 206 (permalink) Old 09-06-2007, 11:23 PM

The two Handi's are very accurate and shoot under a 1/2" with three shots
the 6x47 (222Rem Mag case) bottom is a true varmint rifle grouping
at 3/8. Perhaps you saw my Ruger pics here are the two Handi's. Both guns have 24" octagon barrels. Top is a 257 Roberts with a Sightron 3-9 scope.

Below is my Ruger #1 in 7x57 build from parts with a Burris 6xHBR scope and a modified plex reticule

Below is a Ruger #3 with #1 wood cal 375 Winchester modified finger leaver and custom Weaver bases. The sope is 1.5-5 Leupold in Burris rings.

Below is is my gopher rifle a 1885 Winchester Low Wall in 17HMR a super accurate
rifle all the bigger calibers have taken a back seat. It too has a 24" octgon barrel

This one too has modifoed Weaver bases

Fred M.
From Alberta Canada.
post #26 of 206 (permalink) Old 09-07-2007, 10:02 AM

Thanks for the great pictures of some beautiful and classic single shots Fred. You do wonderful work....<><....i

"Giving up your gun to someone else on demand is called surrender. It means that you have given up your ability to protect yourself to a power that is greater than you." - David Yeagley
post #27 of 206 (permalink) Old 09-07-2007, 04:44 PM

Thanks Andi.

I have some good looking models to inspire my work like this english Brooking Arms falling block rifle in 416 rimmed A-Square. This rifle is an absolute Jewel.
Smithed in Eugen Origon by Larry Brace.

I have another candidate for a #1 in 6.5x284 when ever I can talk my friendly reborer doing the 243 barrel. The wood for this rifle is Ruger but extreamly well grained. Its a winter job but --------never enough time??. This summer I build a sea kayak and spend a lot of time one the lake. See if I dig out a pix.

Fred M.
From Alberta Canada.
post #28 of 206 (permalink) Old 09-07-2007, 05:24 PM

I envy you a bit with that beautiful sounding kayak Fred, we have a couple (+) but they are all some sort of synthetic, they do take a beating with no problems and very little upkeep so there is a good side to them, but they are not classically attractive....<><....

"Giving up your gun to someone else on demand is called surrender. It means that you have given up your ability to protect yourself to a power that is greater than you." - David Yeagley
post #29 of 206 (permalink) Old 09-07-2007, 06:25 PM

Andi.
This is an Aleutian design, multy chine, 6 planks each side 17'-6" long, 23"beam made from BS1088 4mm marine Okoume plywood. Weight 39 lbs. incapsulated with 6oz fiberglass and epoxy resin inside and out. Building time 80 hours or so.

I get alot of flack from the war department being out in a flimsy boat made
from card board, she says. As long as I don't get run over by a big power boat
I am save enough.

I christened it "Libella" latin for Dragon fly. Very easy to paddle and fast as
the insect. Now you can see why I don't have time frigging with guns, she is made from a kit by Pygmy Kayaks model "Coho"

http://www.pygmyboats.com/mall/coho.asp

[url=http://[/url]]]

Fred M.
From Alberta Canada.
post #30 of 206 (permalink) Old 09-07-2007, 06:35 PM
Super Moderator

Gun Cabinet

She sure is purty Fred, but who's that old coot in the cockpit!!! ;D

Tim

"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" - Mark Twain

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Graybeard Outdoors forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page