Vertical Stringing & TC Customer Service? - Page 3 - Graybeard Outdoors

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #21 of 40 (permalink) Old 01-21-2018, 09:13 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by deadeer View Post
I have an MGM 24". Same issues here. Found a couple fixes. One is 454 Casull rounds. Virtually everything I loaded shoots great. Another fix I stumbled on, is H4198 powder. You lose some speed over the faster pistol powders, but it really made mine 100% consistent now. You dont get such a violent crack of recoil either. It does require a heavier bullet tho, like 300gr. I have found a longer bullet to get closer to the rifling helped too. I wanted one so bad, thinking I would conquer the world and make everyone look stupid who coudnt get them shooting right. Ha! It is a beast for sure. Good luck.
I'm curious if the 460sw mag loads are just over taxing the TC frame? But I see they sell barrels in 300 Win Mag for the same frame, so how could that be?

Honestly since I had the muzzle brake installed, it's a joy to shoot. I shot 30 rounds today with zero sore shoulder at all. Previous to the muzzle brake, after few rounds and I thought the fillings in my teeth were going to rattle loose.

Last edited by engineer40; 01-21-2018 at 09:16 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 40 (permalink) Old 01-22-2018, 05:47 AM

Where in Michigan are you located?

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk
post #23 of 40 (permalink) Old 01-22-2018, 08:01 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve101610 View Post
Where in Michigan are you located?

West Michigan. A bit north of Grand Rapids.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #24 of 40 (permalink) Old 01-22-2018, 08:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by engineer40 View Post
West Michigan. A bit north of Grand Rapids.
Wow small world! I live just east of Zeeland so about 20 minutes west of Grand rapids.

post #25 of 40 (permalink) Old 01-22-2018, 09:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by engineer40 View Post
I have a TC Encore Katahdin in 460SW Magnum. The rifle won't stop stringing shots vertically.

I emailed TC customer service. They emailed me back today saying I could print out a prepaid shipping label and send it in for them to look at it. But if it is determined that it is not warranty work, I would be charged.
Hmm. Wonder if this is a new policy. I know I have sent in more than one barrel and gun and was never charged even though they said it was "within spec". I too have had issues with rifle barrels in my Encore not shooting well. The pistol barrels have always shot well, but for some reason the longer barrels give me a fit. I am almost to the point to only use the Encore and Contenders as pistols and sell off the rifle barrels.

Having had your barrel modified by a gunsmith will probably void your warranty though and may not be a good idea to send it in if that is the case.

Rosewood

Go Donald Go!!
post #26 of 40 (permalink) Old 01-22-2018, 01:12 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Wow small world! I live just east of Zeeland so about 20 minutes west of Grand rapids.

Rockford here! You happen to want to buy a 460SW Magnum TC Encore? Shoots great! Super accurate I promise!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rosewood View Post
Hmm. Wonder if this is a new policy. I know I have sent in more than one barrel and gun and was never charged even though they said it was "within spec". I too have had issues with rifle barrels in my Encore not shooting well. The pistol barrels have always shot well, but for some reason the longer barrels give me a fit. I am almost to the point to only use the Encore and Contenders as pistols and sell off the rifle barrels.

Having had your barrel modified by a gunsmith will probably void your warranty though and may not be a good idea to send it in if that is the case.

Rosewood
I hear ya. If I try some 454 Casull ammo like some suggested and that doesn't shoot any better, somebody might be getting a good deal on this rifle because I'll be selling it. I've put in way more effort trying to get it to shoot than a person should need to do on a $700+ rifle.
post #27 of 40 (permalink) Old 01-22-2018, 01:32 PM

No thanks! I already have one and it is very accurate.

post #28 of 40 (permalink) Old 01-22-2018, 01:49 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
No thanks! I already have one and it is very accurate.

Do you think the Leupold dual dovetail mount could potentially fix my vertical stringing issues? I've already put so much money into this rifle, don't really feel like wasting another $40 for no reason. Thanks! Appreciate your opinion.
post #29 of 40 (permalink) Old 01-22-2018, 02:16 PM

What mounts and base do you have now?

post #30 of 40 (permalink) Old 01-22-2018, 02:31 PM

I have been into Encores since their inception. I have use several mounts over the years, but prefer the MGM steel base. I use either Warne or Burris XTR rings.

I have the twist in ring mounts on the lesser kickers. Only issue with the short setup like the TC duomount, is such a short clamping area on a long rifle scope, but they work great.

The one piece style like Talley and Dead Nutz work good too, but I have had heavy scopes slip, even after lapping.

I had my buddy put a brake on my 460, but it didnt help much. Then had it ported behind the threads, and it was better. So I had him make a thread protector or collar over yhe threads, same diameter as barrel. Then drill thru that for more porting holes. It has lessened the muzzle rise to almost nothing now.

T/C Encores. Smokeless Savage and Remington muzzleloaders. Excalibur and Ten Point Crossbows

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Graybeard Outdoors forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page