Vertical Stringing & TC Customer Service? - Page 4 - Graybeard Outdoors

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #31 of 40 (permalink) Old 01-22-2018, 10:02 PM

Engineer. I talked to my gunsmith. He milled the base to fit the barrel.. I didn't realize that..so would be custom job...mike bellm has
a good explanation for encore mount..looks like he adds a set screw for support over the barrel.. D
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 40 (permalink) Old 01-22-2018, 11:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by engineer40 View Post
Do you think the Leupold dual dovetail mount could potentially fix my vertical stringing issues? I've already put so much money into this rifle, don't really feel like wasting another $40 for no reason. Thanks! Appreciate your opinion.
I used the leupold dual dovetail on my 460 barrel. I think the scope moved back a little with each shot. I think a rail with room to add more rings may be better. A 6 hole MGM base and four steel rings.

Another area to check would be the locking lugs. You can replace the spring with a Bellm extra power spring to help the lockup.

I never fired more than a handful of shots at one time. Really didn't enjoy the recoil. I was able to get a few rounds with Lil Gun and 250 gr hornady ftx's to touch holes.

All of my favorite creatures have white bottoms.
post #33 of 40 (permalink) Old 01-23-2018, 07:12 AM

When I had the 460 barrel, I added a 3rd scope ring to keep it from moving. That stopped my scope from sliding. I also have 3 rings on my Taurus .454 to keep the scope in it's place.

Go Donald Go!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #34 of 40 (permalink) Old 01-24-2018, 07:54 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve101610 View Post
What mounts and base do you have now?

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk
Not sure the weaver rail brand I have on it now. I thought about trying the EGW pic rail too. But I think it's made from aluminum not steel.

I have tried 2 different scopes and multiple sets of rings however. Now I have a Burris FF3 on it only because I had a theory that the red dot is so lightweight it wouldn't be affected by the recoil as much as a heavier scope. It's always grouped about the same no matter if it was scoped or with the Burris red dot.

Last edited by engineer40; 01-24-2018 at 08:05 PM.
post #35 of 40 (permalink) Old 01-24-2018, 07:58 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by deadeer View Post
I have been into Encores since their inception. I have use several mounts over the years, but prefer the MGM steel base. I use either Warne or Burris XTR rings.

I have the twist in ring mounts on the lesser kickers. Only issue with the short setup like the TC duomount, is such a short clamping area on a long rifle scope, but they work great.

The one piece style like Talley and Dead Nutz work good too, but I have had heavy scopes slip, even after lapping.

I had my buddy put a brake on my 460, but it didnt help much. Then had it ported behind the threads, and it was better. So I had him make a thread protector or collar over yhe threads, same diameter as barrel. Then drill thru that for more porting holes. It has lessened the muzzle rise to almost nothing now.
I'm surprised that the brake didn't help much. I have tons of rifles with brakes and by far putting one on my 460 helped the most of any rifle I own. I mean, it calmed it right down. It's a joy to shoot now. It would potentially be one of my favorite rifles if it could hold a group at all!

Last edited by engineer40; 01-24-2018 at 08:06 PM.
post #36 of 40 (permalink) Old 01-24-2018, 07:59 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Dino View Post
Engineer. I talked to my gunsmith. He milled the base to fit the barrel.. I didn't realize that..so would be custom job...mike bellm has
a good explanation for encore mount..looks like he adds a set screw for support over the barrel.. D
Thanks!
post #37 of 40 (permalink) Old 01-24-2018, 08:04 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lt. Dave View Post
I used the leupold dual dovetail on my 460 barrel. I think the scope moved back a little with each shot. I think a rail with room to add more rings may be better. A 6 hole MGM base and four steel rings.

Another area to check would be the locking lugs. You can replace the spring with a Bellm extra power spring to help the lockup.

I never fired more than a handful of shots at one time. Really didn't enjoy the recoil. I was able to get a few rounds with Lil Gun and 250 gr hornady ftx's to touch holes.

Thanks. I do already have the extra strength Bellm spring to help with the lockup.

A few times I have shot a decent group with this rifle that tricked me into thinking it had the potential to be accurate. But they were always a group of 3 shots to test loads. Whenever I'd load more ammo and test the same loads again, shots were all over the place. I can't even explain how frustrating this rifle has been. I have a $75 smooth bore 20 gauge with just the bead on the end of the barrel that I can shoot with slugs more accurately than this $700+ rifle.

Last edited by engineer40; 01-24-2018 at 08:07 PM.
post #38 of 40 (permalink) Old 01-24-2018, 08:33 PM

I agree that poor accuracy seems to be systemic to the tc encore .460 sw barrel. Everyone with a .450 bushmaster gets outstanding accuracy regardless of rifle used. So what's the difference? About 20,000 psi less pressure? The pistol style chamber? Using magnum pistol powder or use of slower rifle type powders? I gave up trying to figure it out.

May try again someday if someone figures out the puzzle. I can be happy with .444 marlin as my big bore for the meantime. Seems well behaved in comparison.

All of my favorite creatures have white bottoms.
post #39 of 40 (permalink) Old 02-06-2018, 11:44 PM

I have an MGM 460 with their scope mount, It shots most of my reloads under 1" group. I reload and most accurate is 250 sst hornady with vit 110 powder, 2450 fps and a lot of times bullets are touching at 100 yards

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk
post #40 of 40 (permalink) Old 02-23-2018, 07:02 AM

S&W probably won't help you at all since the barrel has been modified as others already mentioned.

The 460 S&W magnum cartridge is too much with Hornady full power factory ammunition.

The 454 Casull is a better suited cartridge for the Encore platform, but in rifle length barrels are only available from custom barrel makers.

Yes I know the 460 S&W magnum chamber will allow the 454 Casull and 45 Colt to shoot, but I personally don't like the long bullet jump.

My future quest will be for a SSK Industries 16 1/4" 454 Casull matte blue barrel with their T'SOB 6 screw mount with 3 rings and threaded for a suppressor for use with standard subsonic 45 Colt reloads. I would use a thread protector for 454 Casull reloads.

Shooting full power 454 Casull reloads will yield fast high energy hunting performance that nips the heels of the 460 S&W magnum, but with a lot less powder and punishment.

Sent from my SM-S975L using Tapatalk

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Graybeard Outdoors forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page