Graybeard Outdoors

Graybeard Outdoors (https://www.go2gbo.com/forums/index.php)
-   TC Encore/Contender and TCR Rifles Sponsored by Ed's TCs (https://www.go2gbo.com/forums/43-tc-encore-contender-tcr-rifles-sponsored-ed-s-tcs.html)
-   -   Contender Hammer Broke (https://www.go2gbo.com/forums/43-tc-encore-contender-tcr-rifles-sponsored-ed-s-tcs/382052-contender-hammer-broke.html)

Dave358 08-18-2018 08:11 PM

Contender Hammer Broke

Contender G2 with rifle barrel in 221 fireball.
Bought about a year ago.
After around 300 rounds, the hammer spur broke off.

TC fixed it for free, just cost me shipping to them.

But they attached a note saying that use of a hammer extension (which I needed for the scope) will cause the spur to break, and implied I should not use one.

#1 - nothing much I can do about the poor quality (IMHO) of the hammer, and TC should be aware hammer extensions may be used and design accordingly.

#2 - I'm using a weaver mount and high extension rings, I don't think I can go any higher, but I need about 1/8" more clearance to **** the hammer comfortably without the extension. I need extension rings to get the scope right. I could find another scope with a smaller eyepiece, perhaps one that would work with regular (hi or extra-hi) rings.

Has anybody had this problem and how did you solve it?

Thanks

JustaShooter 08-19-2018 07:35 AM

Using hammer extensions has been known to cause problems, especially the heavier steel ones. Bent, cracked, or broken hammer spurs and light primer strikes for the most part. For the Contender, the only solution I know of is higher rings or a scope with a smaller eyepiece. For the Encore, the answer is the Pro Hunter's swivel hammer.

zoner 08-19-2018 06:14 PM

I don't have small hands....wear a size large glove. I have 3 scoped Contender carbines with both low and medium height rings on Weaver mounts and have plenty of room to operate the hammer without an extension. Your hands must be huge.

JustaShooter 08-19-2018 08:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by zoner (Post 2055765868)
I don't have small hands....wear a size large glove. I have 3 scoped Contender carbines with both low and medium height rings on Weaver mounts and have plenty of room to operate the hammer without an extension.

I also wear a size large glove and didn't have any issue with the one scoped Contender I shot - it was a friend's so I don't really know what height rings were used.

mrmurl 08-20-2018 11:46 AM

I also have large hands, in fact a large glove is tight on my hands. I shoot Contenders all the time without an extension on the hammer. In fact if I get a Contender with an extension I will take it off. It takes a little practice but you can become very adept at cocking the hammer on a low mounted scoped Contender. I have had a hammer break from the use of an extension once. It was one of the skeleton type hammers with the cross bar in the hammer and of course it broke where the screw from the extension struck the side of the hammer. Up until that time I had used an extension, but decided to drop the use of one after that. On handguns I use high mount rings and on carbine length I use medium height rings.

My grandson just recently started shooting Contenders and was wanting to use an extension, so I showed him my broken hammer and now he is working on not using one. Just my two cents worth and worth all you paid for it. Good luck and enjoy your Contenders.