Contender Hammer Broke - Graybeard Outdoors

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-18-2018, 08:11 PM Thread Starter

Angry Contender Hammer Broke

Contender G2 with rifle barrel in 221 fireball.
Bought about a year ago.
After around 300 rounds, the hammer spur broke off.

TC fixed it for free, just cost me shipping to them.

But they attached a note saying that use of a hammer extension (which I needed for the scope) will cause the spur to break, and implied I should not use one.

#1 - nothing much I can do about the poor quality (IMHO) of the hammer, and TC should be aware hammer extensions may be used and design accordingly.

#2 - I'm using a weaver mount and high extension rings, I don't think I can go any higher, but I need about 1/8" more clearance to **** the hammer comfortably without the extension. I need extension rings to get the scope right. I could find another scope with a smaller eyepiece, perhaps one that would work with regular (hi or extra-hi) rings.

Has anybody had this problem and how did you solve it?

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-19-2018, 07:35 AM

Gun Cabinet

Using hammer extensions has been known to cause problems, especially the heavier steel ones. Bent, cracked, or broken hammer spurs and light primer strikes for the most part. For the Contender, the only solution I know of is higher rings or a scope with a smaller eyepiece. For the Encore, the answer is the Pro Hunter's swivel hammer.

Christian, Husband, Father
NRA Life Member
NRA Certified Range Safety Officer
NRA Certified Rifle & Pistol Instructor

Are you an Ohioan that is interested in becoming more active in the fight for your 2A rights? PM me or click here!

Last edited by JustaShooter; 08-19-2018 at 08:37 PM.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-19-2018, 06:14 PM

I don't have small hands....wear a size large glove. I have 3 scoped Contender carbines with both low and medium height rings on Weaver mounts and have plenty of room to operate the hammer without an extension. Your hands must be huge.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-19-2018, 08:39 PM

Gun Cabinet

Quote:
Originally Posted by zoner View Post
I don't have small hands....wear a size large glove. I have 3 scoped Contender carbines with both low and medium height rings on Weaver mounts and have plenty of room to operate the hammer without an extension.
I also wear a size large glove and didn't have any issue with the one scoped Contender I shot - it was a friend's so I don't really know what height rings were used.

Christian, Husband, Father
NRA Life Member
NRA Certified Range Safety Officer
NRA Certified Rifle & Pistol Instructor

Are you an Ohioan that is interested in becoming more active in the fight for your 2A rights? PM me or click here!
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-20-2018, 11:46 AM

Gun Cabinet

I also have large hands, in fact a large glove is tight on my hands. I shoot Contenders all the time without an extension on the hammer. In fact if I get a Contender with an extension I will take it off. It takes a little practice but you can become very adept at cocking the hammer on a low mounted scoped Contender. I have had a hammer break from the use of an extension once. It was one of the skeleton type hammers with the cross bar in the hammer and of course it broke where the screw from the extension struck the side of the hammer. Up until that time I had used an extension, but decided to drop the use of one after that. On handguns I use high mount rings and on carbine length I use medium height rings.

My grandson just recently started shooting Contenders and was wanting to use an extension, so I showed him my broken hammer and now he is working on not using one. Just my two cents worth and worth all you paid for it. Good luck and enjoy your Contenders.

"They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither safety nor liberty." - Benjamin Franklin

“Quemadmoeum gladuis neminem occidit, occidentis telum est.” (A sword is never a killer, it is a tool in the killer’s hands.) – Lucius Annaeus Seneca, circa 4 BC – 65 AD

Support the NRA-ILA

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Graybeard Outdoors forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page