Encore 16 1/8" barrel in 454 Casull or 45 Colt? - Graybeard Outdoors

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 09-26-2018, 10:18 PM Thread Starter

Default Encore 16 1/8" barrel in 454 Casull or 45 Colt?

I'm considering ordering a 16 1/8" 45 Colt MGM threaded barrel for suppressed use.

Originally I was planning on the same length threaded 454 Casull MGM barrel, but MGM told me they don't recommend shooting the shorter 45 Colt in thier 454 Casull chamber.

The reason is the chamber is cut with a sharp ledge at the 454 Casull case mouth. so shooting the shorter 45 Colt cartridge will shave lead/jacket material.

Has anyone shot a 45 Colt cartridge out of a 454 Casull MGM made barrel?

I don't want a 460 S&W Magnum barrel.

Sent from my moto g(6) using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 09-28-2018, 09:06 AM

I have an MGM in 460sw. I shoot all 3 shells thru it, and have best results with the Colt and Casull. Yes, you have to clean the chamber when switching.

T/C Encores. Smokeless Savage and Remington muzzleloaders. Excalibur and Ten Point Crossbows
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 09-30-2018, 12:56 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by deadeer View Post
I have an MGM in 460sw. I shoot all 3 shells thru it, and have best results with the Colt and Casull. Yes, you have to clean the chamber when switching.
I wonder if MGM cuts the 460 S&W Magnum chamber different than the 454 Casull chamber?

When I asked about using the 45 Colt in their 454 Casull chamber they probably have to not recommend this practice for legal reasons.

Honestly a 45 Colt chamber would offer everything I need for hunting, the expense is the same if I opt for the 454 Casull chamber.

I reload for both 454 Casull and 45 Colt cartridges.

I currently load a pussycat 45 Colt load using 310 LBT style hard cast plain base bullet with H110 powder just under 1000 FPS out if my Ruger New Model Blackhawk with 5 1/2" barrel.

This load out of a 16 1/8" Encore barrel is more than enough for talking big game.

Sent from my moto g(6) using Tapatalk

Last edited by yooper77; 09-30-2018 at 12:58 PM.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Graybeard Outdoors forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page