Advice on T/C encore/contender. - Graybeard Outdoors

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-05-2019, 07:55 PM Thread Starter
AZ

Default Advice on T/C encore/contender.

Hello,

I am thinking about getting a T/C Encore Pro Hunter or Contender G2. I think I would like to get a 30/30AI for my first barrel. I am planning to learn to reload with this rifle/cartridge and am trying to squeeze a little extra performance out of the round. The improved version of the round adds a little extra case capacity, I plan to get a slightly longer (26") barrel which will add a little more burn time behind the bullet, and I will be loading spitzers, for better energy retention at range. I am well aware that I am not going to hit 308 performance, but will have some fun seeing what I am able to do with it. Most of my shooting will be at paper, but I would like to take it hunting, definitely whitetail, maybe a wild pig hunting trip. I have a Leupold 2-7x scope that I plan to put on the rifle.

I have two questions and would appreciate any input you may have:

1. Encore or Contender? I originally figured, just go with an Encore, then you can put anything on the frame, if you want to, like maybe a 270 down the line. But there is something to be said for a lighter package in a Contender. I also have read that the Contenders have nicer triggers. Is this something only a very experience shooter that can really appreciate a trigger would notice, and are they still noticeably different after having trigger work done on them? If the Contender has FAR better trigger, then I might consider it, but if they are pretty close, maybe still the Encore for more barrel options.

2. When I am configuring a 30-30AI barrel on the Match Grade Machine website, it lists the 1-12 twist rate as being for 115-168 grain bullets, and 1-10 being for 175-210 grain. Now I know 30-30s are out there with both twist rates, and people are using all kinds of bullets in both with out ever being bothered by such nonsense as twist rates. But if I am getting a custom AI barrel and have the option, it seems like a question to consider. It seems to me like I probably would be doing a lot more loading with 150, 160, and 165 grain spitzers and seeing how fast I can push them safely and accurately, and I think there would be enough velocity to get good expansion at reasonable ranges with these weights of bullets. Would 170-180 grain spitzers really be an option? Would they gain enough velocity from a 30-30 to have good expansion? Based on my very limited knowledge, it seems like a 1-12 twist might be better for my application, but I would appreciate any input you may have.

Thanks,
pg

If the founders gave us the right to bear arms so we can hunt, why didn't they also give us the right to bear water buckets, so we can drink?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-05-2019, 08:11 PM
SEM

Gun Cabinet

Get both seriously Encore and Contender, as far as twist goes lighter bullets shoot fine in a fast twist, heavy bullets do not do so good in a slower twist. so ???? take your pick. For this case I would stick with 110- 150. I do have both twists and 30-30 as well as 30-30 AI. You don't have to worry you will end up with more and more.
Welcome to the addiction!!!
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-05-2019, 08:20 PM

I would pick the 1:10 if given the choice. It will stabilize the slower and longer bullets but won't negatively affect the faster shorter bullets. You will also have something unique that can be resold easier or rechambered to a .307 if you want to later.

All of my favorite creatures have white bottoms.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-05-2019, 10:00 PM

Gun Cabinet

I had a Encore regular factory 30-30 and it liked the 125 Grn. spitzer with H 4895 was a real nice shooting barrel.

Deaconllb

U S Air Force Korean vet. NRA Member
Fourth fighter wing Kimpo Korea 1952 Fourth but first, the mig killers.
533rd material ,air defence Oxnard AFB 1953-1955
Pastor of the CBCG-Fellowship group Tulsa Oklahoma.
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-06-2019, 12:05 AM

Looks like the factory TC 30-30 barrels were 1:10 twist:

https://www.eabco.com/TwistRate.htm

All of my favorite creatures have white bottoms.
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-06-2019, 12:43 AM Thread Starter
AZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by SEM View Post
Get both seriously Encore and Contender, as far as twist goes lighter bullets shoot fine in a fast twist, heavy bullets do not do so good in a slower twist. so ???? take your pick. For this case I would stick with 110- 150. I do have both twists and 30-30 as well as 30-30 AI. You don't have to worry you will end up with more and more.
Welcome to the addiction!!!
Do you have an opinion one way or the other regarding triggers on the the Encore/Pro Hunter vs the Contender/G2?

If the founders gave us the right to bear arms so we can hunt, why didn't they also give us the right to bear water buckets, so we can drink?
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-06-2019, 12:46 AM Thread Starter
AZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lt. Dave View Post
I would pick the 1:10 if given the choice. It will stabilize the slower and longer bullets but won't negatively affect the faster shorter bullets. You will also have something unique that can be resold easier or rechambered to a .307 if you want to later.
If the 1-12 would increase accuracy of the lighter bullets I might consider it, but if it doesn't really do that, and the 1-10 doesn't negatively impact the lighter bullets and gives me the option to use heavier bullets, then that seems like the route to take. Part of the reason I want a 30-30 instead of some cool/sexy "6.5 x some number with somebody smarter than me's name attached to it" is because I want to be able to walk into a hardware store in podunk middle of anywhere and get ammo for the rifle. Then if my fancy hand loads don't make it down to TX for a pig hunt for some reason, I can still buy some 170 grain round nose and drop a pig, assuming I get a little time to sight it in and see how the ammo behaves. Ideally have something like a Remington or Winchester ammo that I am familiar with, as a backup.

post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-06-2019, 08:20 AM

Gun Cabinet

If you forsee yourself ever getting any higher pressure rifle rounds, get the Encore. I like the slightly lighter weight of the G2. The trigger components between the two are the same. If your intent is to get some smaller stuff down the road, the G2 is where it is at. Add a pistol caliber, a rimfire or two, and there are plenty of proprietary "wildcats" that give big performance as well.

My choices stay with the low case capacity intermediate rounds and smaller, so the G2 is perfect for my needs. The 30-30AI will do what you want with flair.

Wonder is the beginning of wisdom. -Anonymous
post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-06-2019, 10:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZ View Post
Do you have an opinion one way or the other regarding triggers on the the Encore/Pro Hunter vs the Contender/G2?
If you want a good trigger the original contender is best. Encore make sure you get a New Hampshire frame. All I am addressing is trigger, many other factors. You can always get a trigger job done or do it yourself.
My opinion is worth every penny you paid for it...
post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-06-2019, 10:55 AM
SEM

Gun Cabinet

Like stated in other responses, Neither has a notable difference in factory trigger. I have both that have had trigger jobs done on them, And have both with factory triggers, They both will shoot as well as you can, With both I get most of my barrels to shoot .5" to 1" groups at 100 yards or I give up unless the cartridge is just not capable of better, Some of my barrels are one hole at 200 yards boring.

I really prefer New Hampshire made, I do have some Springfield made early frames and barrels had some problems but not much to worry about currently

I would start with a G2 it is WAY more versatile and the weight is more forgivable with the really small bores, I shoot it a lot more than the Encore, Now mainly because I got a disease, something called OLD and big recoil just does not roll off any more

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Graybeard Outdoors forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page