Graybeard Outdoors banner

7-30 Waters Super 14 Powder Recommendations

12K views 20 replies 8 participants last post by  Mule 11 
#1 ·
Hi all! I'm brand new to these forums, so please correct me if I'm posting this in the wrong place.

I recently bought a 7-30 Waters "Super 14" barrel for my G1 Contender. I'm a novice when it comes to reloading and I'm trying to select the right powder to use for this cartridge. I'm planning on shooting bullets weighing between 120 and 140 grains, probably Nosler ballistic tips, Sierra Spitzers or Hornady SSTs in this weight range. I have heard that some of the best powders for 7-30 Waters are RL-15, W748 and Varget, among others. However, I have also heard that these slower-burning powders will create excessive fireballs out of short barrels like the super 14.

Are there any faster-burning powders you would recommend, or should I stick with the recommended slower-burning ones? Thanks!

#5 ·
Thanks a lot. I had heard of Reloaders Nest, but wasn't able to access it. I didn't think of checking the web archive. This load data will definitely come in handy.

RL15 has proven to the be most accurate powder in my experience. I have not tried 4064, but have tried H322 and Varget. I typically use 120 grain bullets. I do not get the published velocities though, always slower.

I was hoping H322 would shoot well since I figured it would reduce muzzle blast, but just didn't get the accuracy I wanted.
I have heard multiple times that RL-15 is a very accurate powder in 7-30 Waters. At this point I'll probably buy a jug to give it a try, along with a faster-burning powder like IMR 3031 as suggested by Gemihur. Thanks.

#3 ·
I use the 120 Grn. Sierra pro hunter with H 4895 for my loads in the 7x30 waters and it has worked very well for me, killed my first deer years ago with that load. But we all have our favorite load others will have theirs but I never was one for barrel burner loads.

Deaconllb

Reactions: hankbrass
#4 ·
RL15 has proven to the be most accurate powder in my experience. I have not tried 4064, but have tried H322 and Varget. I typically use 120 grain bullets. I do not get the published velocities though, always slower.

I was hoping H322 would shoot well since I figured it would reduce muzzle blast, but just didn't get the accuracy I wanted.

Rosewood

#6 ·
Thanks again for the advice everyone. I ended up going with H4895 and I just received some Varget in the mail. (Boy is that stuff is hard to find.) I've decided to stick with Hodgdon "extreme" powders for now due to their temp stability, but I'll still probably give RL-15 a try at some point in the future because I've heard so many good things about it.

Unfortunately I had some issues with my first batch of cartridges (probably due to excessive headspace) and I've posted a thread in the reloading section concerning the matter. However, I was very pleased with accuracy of the cartridges I did get to shoot and I didn't have any issues with excessive fireballs using the H4895, though admittedly it was a starting load of powder.

#7 ·
What I would suggest to you is invest a little money and get you some 7x30 brass and I think you will find things work better for you I have resized 32 Winchester to 32-40 also 30-30 to 32-40 but I never got the kind of results that I get when I finally got some real 32-40 brass yes I know we are talking 7x30 waters but just using my experience with what I posted as I never tried to resize 30-30 t0 7x30 waters and yes I have a waters. what you are doing is going from 308 down to 284 and you change the properties of the metal too much when doing that I would think. That was my thinking in reforming brass for the 32-40 and I went with 32 Winchester because the neck was already 321 so all I had to do was reshape the case not streatch the neck as I was doing on the 30-30. The H 4895 powder is a slow burning powder and that is why Hogdons uses it for all their reduced loads it is really great and I use it in most of my rifles.

Deaconllb

#8 ·
All I have ever used is 30-30 brass. You lube it well then neck it to 7-30. You get this double shoulder which looks odd. Then you use a low starting load and shoot. It is then fire formed to your chamber (which many shooters do anyway by neck sizing after initial firing). Then, instead of full length sizing, bump the shoulder back just enough to chamber when resizing or use a neck sizer die. I use the Lee 7mm-08 neck sizer on the 7-30, works perfect. Only about .005" difference in OAL of case, so it isn't an issue. Can't recall ever having head space issues with mine.

Rosewood

#9 ·
I still say start with the right round, buy a box of factory 7x30 waters ammo and that will show you if you have a head space problem or not, I have never heard of a head space problem with a contender barrel. stick a round in the chamber then take a steel ruler on edge across the barrel that will tell you if there is a lot of head space. I still say your problem is with the resized brass not the barrel but as always I could be wrong. We all have our opinion and we are trying to help on a problem with a screen and keyboard, any way good luck. At one time I owned 18 contender hand guns and 6 rifles and I never had a problem with any of them going bang when I pulled the trigger, but I never used resized brass only factory brass.

Deaconllb

#10 ·
Ok I got out a bunch of 7x30 once fired brass the thickness of the head measures 1.45 and then I got out a box of new 30-30 never fired and measured the thickness of the head it measured 1.38 on my digital caliper. Ok got out my Lee reloading book that gives all the dimensions for any given round the head is the same on both rounds the head space is set off the shoulder and from the center of the shoulder the over length to the outside of the rim should be 1.658 the overall length of the unloaded case should be 2.040 and the overall length of a loaded round should be 2.550 so hope this helps.

Deaconllb

#11 ·
For now I'm going to adjust my reloading setup so it's not pushing the shoulder down quite so far, and there's a 0.001" gap between the case head and the frame. Ammo is a bit hard to find at the larger online retailers, but I've seen new 7-30 brass at a few. I'll buy some if I'm not getting the performance I want. Thanks.

#12 ·
I have formed 100 plus 30-30 to 7-30 Waters without any problems. It is pretty cool to see the difference in case shape before and after firing. I did size the 30-30 brass neck to where the frame would shut with just a little resistance. I neck sized after that, as was mentioned.

I recently got some 7-30 brass but haven’t used any of it yet. I am getting great groups from my 14” barrel.

#13 ·
I've been incredibly pleased with my Super 14 barrel as well. The accuracy blew me away, even with this batch of problem reloads. During testing, I decided to back my target up to 100 yards just to see if I could hit it. My 4-shot group was a near-perfect horizontal line of impacts about 1.5" long. Mind you, this was the first time I've ever shot at 100 yards and it was off a simple forearm rest using a 2x scope. I'm fairly confident that with a bit more practice and a slickened-up trigger, I should be able to put bullets through nearly the same hole at that range with this gun.

#15 ·
My 7-30 Waters Super 14 is one of my most accurate firearms. If I do my part with a good scope, it will clover leaf at 100 yards all the time. It’s done this year after year. I use 120 gr Nosler BT predominantly with W748 or AA2520. Killed my biggest mule deer with this rig. Love it!

#18 ·
Wow, didn't know Hornady was making a bullet for the 7-30. Just when you think a cartridge has been all but forgotten by manufacturers. This is good news. :) Must be someone at Hornady that owns one. The FTX isn't necessary in the contender, but if you have it in a lever gun, this is wonderful. May be good for expansion at the appropriate speed also.

Rosewood

#20 ·
I really didn't think there was enough demand for it to make the ammo. I can honestly say, I have never seen a 7-30 waters lever gun, nor do I know anyone that owns one. I do however know several folks that have or have had them in the Contender platform which standard 7mm bullets work fine and a soft tip isn't necessary. Good to see either way.

Now if they would bring back the 180 SSP in .358 caliber, it would make me happy.

Rosewood

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.