38-55: Win 94 Oliver Win Commemorative or Marlin 336 Cowboy..for Shooting?? - Graybeard Outdoors

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-03-2017, 05:54 PM Thread Starter

Default 38-55: Win 94 Oliver Win Commemorative or Marlin 336 Cowboy..for Shooting??

I have the opportunity to buy either of the following rifles from a friend and I'm not sure which way to go. For longer range target shooting and playing around, which would be better: The Marlin Cowboy in 38-55 or the Winchester Oliver Winchester 94 Commemorative? I understand one shouldn't shoot a commemorative rifle but this one has already been fired. If I were to buy it, I'd replace the rear sight with a ladder sight rather than doing any drilling for a tang mounted sight. On the Cowboy, I'd probably place a tang sight on it.
The question is, which would be a better choice? Marlin or Win and for what reasons?
I've read things about the Marlins having over bored barrels but not sure if that is true or not. Currently I shoot .379 cast bullets with standard Winchester brass....if that makes any difference.

Thanks for your help.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-04-2017, 08:44 AM

i have several marlin CB,s and one is a 38-55 and i prefer it over the new 94 win in 38-55, if it were a older pre-64 win it would be a tough choice. eastbank.
post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-04-2017, 09:12 AM

Shoot both, the chambering, specifically the throat, to bore groove dia. can give fits in 38-55. Ideally you would want one that shoots the recipe you already use not have to make up something new and keep segregated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-04-2017, 09:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gcrank1 View Post
Shoot both, the chambering, specifically the throat, to bore groove dia. can give fits in 38-55. Ideally you would want one that shoots the recipe you already use not have to make up something new and keep segregated.

It's easy for you to spend his money, isn't it? My take is buy the one you like the look and feel of. Due to my eyes I would get the Marlin so I could use a scope, but I would prefer to look at and carry the Winchester.

2120-September 1, 1945
To: D A MacArthur /C H Nimitz
Political Correctness is a doctrine, recently fostered by a delusional , illogical minority and promoted by a sick mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a piece of cr*p by the clean end!

Now, with special thanks to the Truman Museum and Harry himself, you and I finally have a full understanding of what "POLITICAL CORRECTNESS" really means.....
post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-04-2017, 09:46 AM

I meant to 'shoot' both' (the 'friend' should allow that) and find the one that works, then buy.
post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-04-2017, 09:56 AM Thread Starter

The scope mounting or ghost ring mounting is a plus on the Marlin.
post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-04-2017, 05:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gcrank1 View Post
I meant to 'shoot' both' (the 'friend' should allow that) and find the one that works, then buy.

Yeah, I should have put a smiley after that first sentence, I haven't tried that since the forum change. I will try it now. :tango_face_glas ses:

Hmph. Tried to do several and it just replaced each with the next. Had to move the cursor after inserting each one before putting in another.

After posting, I see that one of them did not work.

2120-September 1, 1945
To: D A MacArthur /C H Nimitz
Political Correctness is a doctrine, recently fostered by a delusional , illogical minority and promoted by a sick mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a piece of cr*p by the clean end!

Now, with special thanks to the Truman Museum and Harry himself, you and I finally have a full understanding of what "POLITICAL CORRECTNESS" really means.....

Last edited by ulav8r; 02-04-2017 at 05:17 PM. Reason: One of the smileys did not work.
post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-04-2017, 05:38 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ulav8r View Post
Yeah, I should have put a smiley after that first sentence, I haven't tried that since the forum change. I will try it now. :tango_face_glas ses:

Hmph. Tried to do several and it just replaced each with the next. Had to move the cursor after inserting each one before putting in another.

After posting, I see that one of them did not work.
I knew what you meant about trying the rifles first....no problem. Unfortunately, he lives far and it's a long distance kind of purchase.

I'm still not sure how to use this new site either. I don't post around here much anymore because it's too difficult to use....sadly.
post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-04-2017, 06:32 PM

The new site isnt that bad to navigate, mostly just 'different'; spend more time on it regularly and it will feel more normal, just like when you first started using this or any forum there is a learning curve. Still the same fine bunch o' blokes too.
post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-04-2017, 06:35 PM

Gun Cabinet

Quote:
Originally Posted by eastbank View Post
if it were a older pre-64 win it would be a tough choice. eastbank.
I don't believe that Winchester made any commemorative rifles before 1964; I can't recall seeing any ads for the .38-55 until the cowboy shooting came around; I don't recall reading where the cartridge was offered after the 1930s. At any rate, it probably is post 1964.

I bought my Dad a Canadian Centennial carbine when they came out in 1967, and he shot the snot out of it. Only gun he ever had but since I gave it to him he felt he should use it. It didn't hurt the rifle and I doubt if it hurt the resale value either, considering how many were made! If you like the Winnie don't be afraid to shoot it is my take on the subject.

~WH~

NMLRA Life Member
"All you need for happiness is a good gun, a good horse and a good wife." - D. Boone

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Graybeard Outdoors forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page