Rossi 92 357 mag carbines - Page 4 - Graybeard Outdoors

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #31 of 39 (permalink) Old 01-08-2019, 01:08 AM

Send a message via AIM to gene_225

Never have had a .44 in any gun, so can't compare. Seems to me that it depends on what you want.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 39 (permalink) Old 01-15-2019, 06:55 AM

If grandkids will be shooting it the 357 recoils less.

Byron

Christian by choice, American by the grace of God.

NRA LIFE
post #33 of 39 (permalink) Old 01-15-2019, 06:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flmason View Post
Question for all the M92 owners out there, as one in stainless and .44 is on my someday list...

Is there a reason to prefer the .357 over the .44?

Cheaper to shoot, easier on the shoulder.

Saw a stainless one at the gun store last week. They wanted over $600 for it. It was on their new shelf. Too rich for my blood. Been several years ago, but I bought my 454 from the same store for $420 out the door.

Rosewood

Go Donald Go!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #34 of 39 (permalink) Old 01-15-2019, 07:14 AM

Location: 3 miles NW of Brownells retail store and they keep me broke!

I bid on a couple of them last fall. I dropped out at $500 but both went for north of $600. I still was putting them on my watch list and keeping an eye on them. Then a guy approached me wanting to sell some guns and amongst them was Marlin 1894 in 357 for less than $500 so I bought it. I'm still wanting a model 92 .....you know how it is when you get something in your head? Well I'm bad that way! it doesn't help that I am a 357 magnum nut. From my experience they kill deer just as dead as a 44 magnum if the bullet lands in the boiler room and that is from a hand gun. If I can't hit the boiler room then I don't take the shot. There is a lot of difference between a 357 in a rifle vs a handgun.
post #35 of 39 (permalink) Old 01-15-2019, 08:03 AM

Absolutely. In a rifle, a .357 mag is reaching .44mag handgun energy levels. Even in a 12" contender, you can reach that.

What would be awesome would be a 357 maximum in a lever gun. Pretty sure it won't fit in the 357 mag lever guns out there.

Rosewood

Go Donald Go!!
post #36 of 39 (permalink) Old 03-25-2019, 09:57 PM

There is message about needing a taller front sight when you put on a peep sight. That peep by StevesGunz that somebody mentioned: just file it down and leave the front sight alone.

The Kiowa Jones (StevesGunz) is a ring on a vertical screw, and in between the ring and the barrel is a knurled lock nut. So you just take a file and shorten the screw (or file the knurled aluminum nut) down a bit until it works. You could do this while shooting on the range. Make the gun shoot about straight with the adjustment screw in the middle of its travel.

In other words , keep filing down the peep sight instead of keep trying taller and taller front sights. I think the StevesGunz is the only peep sight you can do this with.

Also the peep sight screws into the hole where you removed the goofy safety and that hole is way back on the gun towards the rear. So that gives you a very long sight radius, which is good!
post #37 of 39 (permalink) Old 03-26-2019, 01:25 AM

Thanks for the heads up on the peep, I was thinking about doing that to my EMF Hartford 92, case colored saddle ring carbine made by Rossi. But then I saw Skinner sells a dovetail mount for a reflex - yahoo!
post #38 of 39 (permalink) Old 03-27-2019, 04:52 AM

If you get the reflex optic, let us know how you like it. Seems like it would not make the gun any less handy being so small.
post #39 of 39 (permalink) Old 03-27-2019, 05:35 AM

steves gunz makes a rail that fits in the rear sight dovetail...anyone try that?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Graybeard Outdoors forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page