Steve's Gunz Peep on Rossi 92: The final word? - Graybeard Outdoors

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-17-2018, 03:57 PM Thread Starter

Default Steve's Gunz Peep on Rossi 92: The final word?

OK guys,

I have been reading for several years about the mounting of the peep sight made by Steve's Gunz on Rossi 92s, in place of the safety.

But, what is the final word on them?

I read everything from: Wow, they are great! To: They seem loose, sit up one-half inch high and look ridiculous, and need a lower front sight that is too short for the rifle.

So, has anybody mounted one, and solved all of the issues, and gotten totally happy with it?

Thanks for all info.

Mannyrock
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-19-2018, 03:05 PM

Manny,

I have one and really like it. It's on a 16" 357, produced around 2013 or so.

The threaded sight plug was fairly loose in the safety hole. I cut a new, shallower groove for the retaining pin with a file, and that snugged it up nicely.

Sight height is just about right. I'd say there are only about 4 threads showing above the plug. If I wanted to lower it, I'd file the front down. With that said, I'm going to need taller sights to see over a suppressor, and that might make the rear look quite a bit more unsupported. Might support the shaft with a jam nut and/or a spacer/washer.

Especially on a 16" gun, getting the extra sight radius over the barrel mounted sight is a huge improvement. Well worth the money for me.

Thanks,
Terry
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-19-2018, 04:05 PM Thread Starter

Thanks Terry,

I am not very handy with files and metal, so what you mentioned is kind of what I am worried about.

Seems like having two separate turn nuts on the threaded plug would help make it look better since it sits up high. The bottom nut would be to lock the plug against the bolt, and the upper nut would be just to fill the empty spare space of the plug which sits above.

Hope to hear from others, as to whether they have the looseness issue you discussed.

I would be thinking about how it would work on a lever with a 24 inch barrel, so I am not sure whether the longer sight radius would mean that the front sight would have to be taller or shorter than the factory front sight.

Mannyrock
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-19-2018, 04:17 PM

I have one on a 20 inch barrel. stock front site. would not change for anything. I only shoot handloads in that .357. have killed several deer with it. i use factory sights on my 16 inch barrel. 20 inch gun for hunting, 16 inch gun to play with, it has made several converts to .357 lever guns.

River Pirate
K4LFB

Last edited by Larry B; 02-20-2018 at 08:19 AM.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-26-2018, 10:52 AM

Anyone have any updates or more info? My 16" 357 was shooting 8" high at 30 yards with the sight elevator removed. I took the rear sight off and ground the "buckhorn" flat, then took a triangle file, opened and deepened the notch. It's still shooting 4" high with 125 gr and 158 gr ammo. My front sight is already very tall looking. Thinking about the Steve Gunz peep or a Skinner....
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-28-2019, 09:58 PM

the placement of the steves gunz is in the way when i go to carry my rifle. the skinner is perfection as is the customer service.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-04-2019, 08:44 PM

Gun Cabinet

This very thing has been a recent question of mine. I just shot my new to me 20" 357 today. 3" groups at 100 yards is what I could manage with the factory sights. I was thinking the bolt mounted sight and swapping the front bead to a regular blade may help out a bit with group size and be a tad quicker to get lined up. Or...Skinner dovetail rear peep, Marbles bullseye rear, or a peep the bridges the rear of the receiver. Thoughts on these options?

Wonder is the beginning of wisdom. -Anonymous
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-05-2019, 08:16 AM

I think the square topped front blade is a good idea - I prefer that to a bead sight when using a rear peep.

As far as the rear peep, the Marble's is by far the cheapest to experiment with. They don't look as sturdy as the others, but might be a good way to see whether or not you like the forward mounted peep without spending a lot of money. You could always upgrade later.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Graybeard Outdoors forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page