30-30 leverevolution do you guys like them? - Graybeard Outdoors

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-25-2018, 05:06 PM Thread Starter

Default 30-30 leverevolution do you guys like them?

I got caught up in the hype with them when they first came out. I never used them on game, but they seemed to shoot ok out of my Winchester. After a while, I went back to the 150 and 170 grain classic bullets since shots were seldom over 150 yards. I was looking at the ballistics of the FTX bullet and if it is halfway true it will deliver a lot more energy and flatter trajectory to my cut off of 200 yards. I saw complaints of bullet failure on game. What is your experience?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-25-2018, 07:31 PM

I used the factory FTX in my 336T last deer season on a medium size doe (second deer for the freezer). The yardage was about 75 and the deer went about 30 yards after being hit (did not need a "finisher"). I hit the shoulder from about a 15 degree angle above and it totally wrecked the "off shoulder" and internals. I've tested this load on targets and it shoots 1 1/2 to 2" groups at 100 yards with "Skinner peep" sights (about as good as I can normally do). While I can't complain about its quick killing ability or accuracy, I'll probably go back to Remington or Sierra bullets because I like to eat my "eating size" deer and those bullets are not as violently destructive when encountering "bone".

Freedom is not free, but advice sure is!
post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-26-2018, 03:57 PM

I've taken deer with 30-30 leverevolution bullets. Don't have any complaints. I've even started to reload them.
I have a one rifle zeroed just for this load, and the other ones I use regular bullets (Sierra, Hornady, & Speer).

"You are entitled to your own opinions, but you are not entitled to your own facts." - Sen. Daniel Patrick Moynihan

When you allow a lie to go unchallenged, it becomes the truth.

A statement of fact: H&R Huntsman & Sidekick blued barrels are made of 4140 steel.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-27-2018, 10:24 AM

If you don't want to ruin meat don't shoot them in the meat... Sierra or Remington would do about the same.

If your irons can get that low to shoot them they are excellent. Mine can just barely get low enough to hit 3" high at 100, which is about even at 200.

Buckskin

"I have tried to live my life so that my family would love me and my friends respect me. The others can do whatever the h-ell they please. --John Wayne
post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-01-2018, 11:05 AM

I've used the "Flex-tip" in the .35 Rem as well. I've hit a deer shoulder with other brands and designs, but have not experienced the "explosive" effect when striking bone as with the Flex-tip. BTW, buck, if you want to shoot lower with your iron sights get a taller front sight. I know where the meat shots are, I just can't always put it there on a "jump shot".

Freedom is not free, but advice sure is!
post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-01-2018, 12:14 PM

Yeah I realized a taller front sight would help but 3" high at 100 is near perfect for that bullet.

Must be the extra velocity/energy that the bullet puts out, because they are made to retain their weight.

Buckskin

"I have tried to live my life so that my family would love me and my friends respect me. The others can do whatever the h-ell they please. --John Wayne
post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-02-2018, 09:36 AM Thread Starter

Thanks for the replies. I'm not too concerned about damaging shoulder meat. I deboned 2 shoulders the other day for sausage and had well under 10lbs of meat. I prefer to at least get them on the ground. The only reason I am considering the FTX bullets is for the increased energy out to 200 yards. Trajectory with the standard 150 or 170 grain bullets isn't an issue to me. I can still connect with the kill zone out to 200 yards. I've had good performance with traditional loads, but rarely shot past 75 yards.
post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-02-2018, 10:39 AM

Try smoking a shoulder and you will feel differently about damaging that part of deer. One of my favorite parts now, no waste and as good as pulled pork if done right...

Buckskin

post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-15-2018, 09:30 PM

My Marlin is good to 200 yds with 150gr CoreLokts and 100 yds with my cast bullet reloads. I shot a box of LE but wasn't impressed that much.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk
post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-16-2018, 01:59 AM

Yes. I have never bought the factory ammo but load 35 grs Leverevolution and the 160 grs FTX for my Marlin and 38 grs for my Savage 340. They have worked well on hogs. Three down, all under 150 yards though and one at about 30, that one on the run and hit way aft and high, broke her back though and a quick finish. They work and they make 250 yards feasible, but I can't see well enough with open sights to attempt 250 yards and I just like the 170 grs CoreLokts for no real reason.

[spoof]The Handi-Rifle is a highly matrixed, vintage tactical shooting platform allowing operators high interchangeability, extended caliber diversity, and a wide choice of range related optical solutions suited to the demands of their tactical operating environments. [/spoof]

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Graybeard Outdoors forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page