Rechamber .32-40 to .32 Special - Page 2 - Graybeard Outdoors

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-06-2018, 05:41 PM

A 93 in 38-55 or 32-40 would be of greater collector interest and value in my area (Pa.) than a 30-30 or 32spec. 30-30 being the least desirable Where are you located?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-07-2018, 10:47 AM Thread Starter

Rim,

Watch and track all of the auctions on gunbroker for a couple of months.

Rifles made in the 1920s, in VG+ shape, are generally regarded as shooters, not antiques or true collectors. (Those in very high or near excellent conditions would, of course, be an exception.)

For every one person who would love to have a nice example shooter in .32-40, there are probably 5 or 10 who would rather have it in .30-30 or .32 Special.

As for locale, old pump actions and classic levers are highly regarded in Pennsylvania, a state where semi-autos are not legal for hunting, and you have a huge number of deer hunters and a high population of fairly well off people who collect. (I have lived within 100 miles of Pennsylvania for more than half of my life. Been to many shows up there. Love the central portion of the State.)

In other parts of the country though (central and southern Virginia, Tennessee, North and SC), old pumps and levers are not as highly sought after. People are hunters and shooters first, and collectors fourth. Nobody gets too excited over old Savage 99s, Marlins, or Winchesters in VG+ shape. By and large, those rifles sit on the tables at gun shows for the whole two days while people pass them by. Fairfax, VA and Richmond, VA are exceptions of course, but even at the shows in those places, people in their 30s and 40s are now going for black guns instead of the old classics, and are fewer and fewer tables each year of classic guns..

At the huge gun show in Dulles three months ago (Dulles Airport in Fairfax), there were probably only 10 tables with classic guns out of 400 tables, and nobody was buying them. This in the third or fourth wealthiest county in the U.S. with a population of over 1 million.

So, bottom line, there are huge differences in demand depending on the exact local of a show, the type of rifle being considered, and whether the gun is a nice example of a shooter or a high condition beauty.

Mannyrock
post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-02-2018, 01:36 AM

Mannyrock has some good suggestions as far as tracking value. Have you taken it to a good shop for their evaluation? Frankly I'd get it rechambered or even consider having the bore sleeved to 30 cal and chambered to 30-30 if that is possible. I have been trying to find 32-40 ammo for a friend and it is extremely scarce and expensive.

NRA Life

liberal Justice Hugo Black said, and I quote: "There are 'absolutes' in our Bill of Rights, and they were put there on purpose by men who knew what words meant and meant their prohibitions to be 'absolutes.'" End quote. From a recent article by Wayne LaPierre NRA
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-02-2018, 03:22 PM

Leave it be.32-40 is awesome.Learn to reload,or sell it and buy a 32 special or 30-30.BTW,I love my 32 Special as well
post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-05-2019, 05:45 PM

Quick thought. .32/40 was a Ballard target cartridge and they shot and loaded lead bullets in those days. The .32 Special was a hunting cartridge with jacketed bullets from the beginning. My reference for barrel steel from the era, Keith said he picked up the WWI revolvers and lots of ammo while in the Nat. Guard and 5000 rounds of jacketed bullets and you had a smooth bore. Lead bullets and it would last half of forever. Luck. Happy Trails.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Graybeard Outdoors forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page