Graybeard Outdoors

Graybeard Outdoors (https://www.go2gbo.com/forums/index.php)
-   Lever Action Rifles Sponsored by Henry Repeating Arms (https://www.go2gbo.com/forums/44-lever-action-rifles-sponsored-henry-repeating-arms.html)
-   -   94 Winchester prices (https://www.go2gbo.com/forums/44-lever-action-rifles-sponsored-henry-repeating-arms/385290-94-winchester-prices.html)

geezerbiker 11-02-2018 04:56 AM

94 Winchester prices

I've been looking to get another 94 Winchester but people are asking crazy prices for them. I've watched several listing for them on gun broker and action arms and they always end without bids. It's hard to tell what one is actually worth these days but I know I'm not paying 500 bucks for a nothing special 94 or $750 for a pre64 in average condition...

Tony

neckisred 11-02-2018 06:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by geezerbiker (Post 2055793472)
I've been looking to get another 94 Winchester but people are asking crazy prices for them. I've watched several listing for them on gun broker and action arms and they always end without bids. It's hard to tell what one is actually worth these days but I know I'm not paying 500 bucks for a nothing special 94 or $750 for a pre64 in average condition...

Tony

I couldn't agree more Tony. I see plain jane post 64 Model 94's for sale at ridiculous prices. Most of the time a good honest Pre 64 can be had for the same money or less. I picked up a pretty sharp pre 64 Model 64 this summer and don't have a clue what the true market value is.

spruce 11-02-2018 07:31 AM

And it's not just model 94's either. A while back I was looking for an Auto-5 Sweet Sixteen, or even a good Standard weight 16 in decent shape. Not a collector grade, just a solid shooter. I was following the prices on Gunbroker and other sites and most of the starting prices were more than they were worth. Some of them were on there for months - people re-listing them over and over with zero bids.
You'd think after a while they'd realize their asking price was too high, but apparently not.

Armslist is probably the biggest joke. It's like a contest with sellers trying to see who can ask the most ridiculous price!

Rushcreek 11-02-2018 09:34 AM

Sad but true $400 is about the cheapest you will find a post 64 model 94 around these parts.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

45/70fan 11-02-2018 10:06 AM

I grabbed a 1974 Winchester 94 for $75 about 10 years ago and glad I did. She had been hunted and carries some scars, but man what a sweet handling and shooting gun.

geezerbiker 11-03-2018 08:10 AM

I was making one of my bimonthly runs to the city for shopping and I dropped by a gun shop in Tigard, OR. They had a 1962 94 Win with 85% metal and 70% wood for only 600 bucks. It's still there...

While I can afford it, I'm not going to pay more for a rifle than I think it's worth. If I don't find one for a reasonable price, I'll get .30-30 Henry single shot when they finally show up...

Tony

mannyrock 11-03-2018 10:35 AM

Geezer,

Unfortunately, the price of everything goes up every year. Haven't seen any Win 94 for less than $475 at any gun show for years. What you are complaining about is the current market price. The market decides what guns sell for, not what you or I think they are worth.

So, unless you want to buy a total beater, made during the junk years of 63 thorugh 81, you are just going to have to choke it down and pay nearly $500. (Unless of course, you may get lucky and stumble upon one in better shape by somebody who wants to give it away.) Even the beater would cost you $350 or more. :-(

Two years ago, I walked away from a 94 at our LGS, with an asking price of $399. It was one that was made during the last years of production, with the rebounding hammer and a slide safety. The bore was perfect, and the exterior looked brand new, EXCEPT that the last two inches on the outside of the barrel had deep pitting from rust (How in the world did that happen? Maybe somebody put it away in a damp canvas case.) The owner had cold-blued over that.

Also, the trigger pull was horrendous. Must have been at least 9 pounds.

Life is too short for a pock-marked gun with an impossible trigger, so I passed it by. Store owner was PO'd, because I had stopped by to look at it twice. His wife told me later that "he was sure that I was going to buy it."

Mannyrock

GuzziJohn1 11-03-2018 11:32 AM

I have a mid 90s 16" saddle ring carbine in .357. in 95% condition. I paid $300 for it in 2003 and it now appears to worth around $800! If that holds true would be one of my better firearms investments.
GuzziJohn

geezerbiker 11-06-2018 07:42 AM

I would agree if the rifles were really selling at those prices. Since they end with 0 bids time and time again, it's pretty obvious the price is above market value.

Tony

mannyrock 11-06-2018 03:07 PM

I saw a Browning Sweet 16 Auto-5 (but Japanese made) in VG+ condition go for $625 on gunbroker last year. Thought long and hard about it, but the Japanese made guns are so heavy that it kinda kills the reason to even carry a 16 gauge. (The barrels are much heavier). If you can find one with a vent rib Japanese barrel, and then trade that barrel off for a plain Jane, no rib Belgian barrel for about the same money, the gun would be a lot lighter.

Mannyrock