Which one is stronger? - Graybeard Outdoors

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 03-23-2019, 10:43 AM Thread Starter

Default Which one is stronger?

The Marlin Guide Gun/1894 series or new (Miroku) Winchester 1886? When it comes to reloading manuals for the .45-70 the three levels are for factory/Trapdoor, Marlin or Ruger #1. Why isn't the 1886 ever mentioned? I've heard/read that the Winchester is at least as strong as the Marlin and maybe stronger.

What about my Handi Rifle and 15-yr. old Uberti 1885 Highwall? How "hot" can I go on them? I wish the books were a little more inclusive. I'm not looking for elephant loads, just some clarification on what I can load to in my guns. Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 03-23-2019, 11:04 AM
Administrator

Gun Cabinet

I believe the 1886 is a stronger gun than the Marlin just as the 1892 is stronger than Marlin's 1894 gun. Folks chamber the 1892 in .454 Casull which operates at pressures even higher than man rifle rounds such as the .223, .308 or .30-06.

Bill aka the Graybeard

I am not a lawyer and do not give legal advice.

JESUS is the way, the truth, and the life anyone who believes in Him will have everlasting life!
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 03-23-2019, 06:01 PM Thread Starter

That's what I've heard Graybeard. Just wondered why the 86 doesn't get mentioned in the manuals. Even in the lever gun forums it takes a back seat to the Marlins when posts come up. Well, I like my Extra Light 86 and it's been good to me. Not as nimble as my 94 30-30, but still a good timber gun. Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 03-23-2019, 07:54 PM

Probably one of the biggest reasons the 1886 isn't mentioned is because there are 1886's and there are 1886's. What I mean is there are the originals made back in the 1800's and there are newly manufactured ones by Miroku (?). Although as a general statement saying the 1886 is stronger (at least slightly) than the Marlin 336 there is a big difference in the steel and heat treating methods between one made in 1886 and one made recently in Japan. I don't think anyone wants to stick their neck out and say it's safe to shoot more powerful loads when there are 125+ year old rifles floating around.

And I seriously doubt there would be any significant performance gain with maximum 1886 loads over Marlin level loads.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Graybeard Outdoors forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page