Win 94 in .450 Marlin - Graybeard Outdoors

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-23-2019, 11:07 AM Thread Starter

Default Win 94 in .450 Marlin

Local Sportsmans Warehouse website shows this gun: https://www.sportsmans.com/shooting/...ifle/p/1457931. I like my Miroku 1886 but nothing compares to the handiness of my .30-30 Model 94. I find myself opting to carry it instead of the 86 because it's so light and comes to shoulder like none of my other rifles.

I thought the .450 Marlin was kaput, pretty much, so what is the market for a $1300 lever gun in that chambering? I reload but sometimes just want to buy assembled factory fodder if not too pricey. Also like the 6-round capacity and the fact that the rifle can be scoped; something I consider more these days. Curious as to what's everyone's thoughts on this gun. Recoil must be substantial but my wife says I need a good chop in the kisser now and then.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-23-2019, 03:13 PM

It's a Take Down Model. Probably the best rifle combo this side of the 94 in 444. IMO you should jump on it now. Just sayin'...
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-23-2019, 05:56 PM Thread Starter

What about the 450 Marlin, what's the scoop on it being around and affordable in the foreseeable future? It certainly is a nice looking gun. Bad Mike how's the recoil of your 444 in a lightweight 94, is it accurate?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-23-2019, 08:00 PM

450 Marlin brass can not be easily made from any other brass. The belt is longer, front to back, than any other belted brass so if it becomes hard to find you will not be able to make from any other brass that has better availability. It is also not apt to become the basis for any other cartridge that will have great popularity. For those reasons, I would avoid it unless you can but 1000 NEW cases before getting the gun.

2120-September 1, 1945
To: D A MacArthur /C H Nimitz
Political Correctness is a doctrine, recently fostered by a delusional , illogical minority and promoted by a sick mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a piece of cr*p by the clean end!

Now, with special thanks to the Truman Museum and Harry himself, you and I finally have a full understanding of what "POLITICAL CORRECTNESS" really means.....
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-24-2019, 04:31 PM

Sierra Sherpa: The recoil is no problem when I'm hunting with them, only off the bench. When I bench them I pad up with a PAST Recoil Shield and my old Army shooting jacket with a padded shoulder and I can go for a box or two of heavy loads. Factory stuff seems lighter but I use heavy for the bore cast loads and Beartooth Bullets reloading data and I measure my groups at under 1" at 100 yds.
Got 3. 94AE standard rifle with a 26" Montana Rifleman bbl, full length tube and a Lyman #2 Tang Sight; another, a former Black Shadow now stocked in wood with a full length mag tube - this one has the Marlin 1:38" twist but is fire lapped ala the Veral Smith process and groups under 1" at 100 yds; and the third is a Timber Carbine, 18.5" ported bbl, 1:20 twist. This one just piles jacketed slugs right on top of each other as far out as I can hold the sight on the target.
Anywho, for the 450 I don't know. I don't know what kind of a seller it is but if it is a Marlin round (??) it should be available for a while but if you reload you have the problem solved. Just a thought...

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Graybeard Outdoors forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page