Marlin 336 30-30 question - Graybeard Outdoors

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-07-2019, 08:35 PM Thread Starter

Default Marlin 336 30-30 question

Today I picked up a marlin 336 standard mod. I guess has the cross bolt safety 30-30 cal came with weaver see through rings and a Simmons 3x9x40 scope and leather padded sling has been hunted so I would say about an 8 out of 10 will clean up good has a little very small rust on the blueing not bad 00 wool and some number 9 should clean up so when was the cross bolt safety no longer produced? I needed this thing like a hole in the head but could not pass up. does need the pistol grip cap as it is missing anyone got a spare? I went on the net and found that this rifle was made in years 1958-1959 if that is correct that makes it 60 years old almost an antique. The fellow I got it from said he had it for 25 years and it was used when he bought it After a good cleaning of the SN and giving the info. to Bikerbean turns out it was really made in 1985 so that makes it only 34 years old. need to get it cleaned up and polished and may give it a workout at the range if the weather permits.

Deaconllb

U S Air Force Korean vet. NRA Member
Fourth fighter wing Kimpo Korea 1952 Fourth but first, the mig killers.
533rd material ,air defence Oxnard AFB 1953-1955
Pastor of the CBCG-Fellowship group Tulsa Oklahoma.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-07-2019, 09:03 PM

Mine is a 336RC waffle top 1952 30-30/ It was D+T ed by the original owner so not a virgin . I too have enough 30-30 s around so sent it to Bob Hoyt and it came back a 38-55 (always wanted that caliber) and it"s a shooter ! Ed
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-07-2019, 09:22 PM

In my opinion you can't beat marlin levers, you can't swing a cat without hitting one here in Michigan. I thought the safeties came later than that though but I might be mistaken. Contrats on your new purchase you just can't go wrong with a Marlin 30-30.

mike
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-07-2019, 10:19 PM

The cross bolt safety started showing up on marlin lever guns in the 1982 to 1984 timeframe. Send me a PM with the first two digits of the serial number and i will date it for you.

BB

Why be difficult, when with a little extra effort you can be impossible?

MINE: 44 Bodeen Belted Magnum PI (Profino Improved), 44 Bodeen Rimmed, 45 Cal Smokeless MZ, 50cal 26" SS Sidekick, 50 cal 26" Huntsman, Tracker II 20 gashorty, 12ga Tracker II shorty WITHOUT scope, 10 gaPardner Smoothbore slug gun, 10ga Pardner Turkey & 24ga Profino Custom rifled slug gun.

Active Trader until: July 25, 2013
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-11-2019, 06:46 PM

I killed my first dozen mulies with my Grandad's Marlin 30-30 in Wyoming way back when I was a young man. At the time, this rifle had a Redfield 4X scope that made shots beyond 100 yards fairly easy. I always liked this outfit a lot and bought my own 30-30 carbine in 1979 over in Lusk, Wyoming at the Western Auto Store. Since then, I have hunted in several states and the old 30-30 cartridge has never let me down. How many hunters realize that 30-30 rifles have been toppling big game animals since BEFORE Henry Ford introduced his famous Model T automobile?

Yet 30-30 rifles have distance limitations. My antelope rifle is a flat shooting .243 Remington rifle and my elk and moose rifle is a Savage .308 which is sort of like a 30-30 on steroids. Long distance shots at big game animals is not what made the 30-30 famous. 30-30 does it's very best work at about 150 yards or less which is fairly normal shooting distance within forests and foothills.

Good hunting to you.
TR
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-11-2019, 08:15 PM
LMS

Here's a site for Marlin ser #'s.
https://www.gunvaluesboard.com/marli...ture-1664.html

Starting in 1973, I think, all you have to do is subtract the first two digits of your ser # from 2000 for the year of manufacture. Earlier ones had letter codes which are shown on the site I posted above.
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-14-2019, 10:30 PM Thread Starter

Is the cross bolt safety the one that most collectors are looking for several years ago when I sold off my Marlin collection that was the one I had the most calls on.

Deaconllb

U S Air Force Korean vet. NRA Member
Fourth fighter wing Kimpo Korea 1952 Fourth but first, the mig killers.
533rd material ,air defence Oxnard AFB 1953-1955
Pastor of the CBCG-Fellowship group Tulsa Oklahoma.
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-01-2019, 01:12 AM
Dee

I lock those cross-bolt safteys the day I get the rifle. Sometimes I'll take the safety out, grind down the left side, polish it, reblue it, and stick it back in.

I hate the damm things.

"REPUBLIC OF TEXAS"!
To The Politician: if your not right with God, your not right for this country.
Phil Robertson, Duck Dynasty
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-04-2019, 05:31 PM

I have a few with the cbs and usually just ignore it but a small rubber O-ring will lock it out.
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-04-2019, 09:24 PM
Dee

Quote:
Originally Posted by shawlerbrook View Post
I have a few with the cbs and usually just ignore it but a small rubber O-ring will lock it out.
So will a Allen wrench.

"REPUBLIC OF TEXAS"!
To The Politician: if your not right with God, your not right for this country.
Phil Robertson, Duck Dynasty

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Graybeard Outdoors forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page