Anybody ever converted a Marlin or Winchester to 357 Maximum - Page 2 - Graybeard Outdoors

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 32 (permalink) Old 02-17-2003, 11:08 PM

Default Anybody ever converted a Marlin or Winchest

Advocate,

With regards to my .30-30 Journal, I am finished with the first 4 chapters
(1891-1895, Cartridge Development At Winchester; 1895, Introduction ; 1895-1904, The First 10 Years, and 1905-1927, The Second Generation).

I still have about 3 chapters to go, along with a section on reloading which will primarily deal with replicating all of the factory loads ever offered for this cartridge, from the Special 85 gr. Full Patch Peters load up to the heaviest, a 180 gr. loading. All in all, about 18 different bullet / velocity combinations(!).

If I could concentrate on finishing the project, I would hope to have it to the printer by September, but since I can only work on it off and on, I will be lucky to finish it by year end.

The good thing is that my research appears to be complete with no new information being uncovered in the past 12 months or so. That should help since I spent a fair amount of time on research in the past.

Thank you for asking and for your interest.

Graycg,

Good luck on your project. Please keep us posted on any further developments.

w30wcf

aka Jack Christian SASS 11993 "I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me." Philippians 4:13
aka John Kort
Life Member NRA
.22 WCF, .30WCF, .44WCF cartridge historian
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 32 (permalink) Old 10-21-2016, 01:10 AM

Default Re: Anybody ever converted a Marlin or Winchester to 357 Maximum

I really want 357max in a Marlin
I see that this thread is 13 years old
But what the heck something must have happened in 13 years??
Let's get this thing rolling one more time .
How bout you tell me how yours has come out?
How good it shoots.
Keep me excited [size=78%] [/size]

Thanks
Tommyt

Our 2 Token Queers really like their Birds
Heard they kiss a cockatoo daily
post #13 of 32 (permalink) Old 11-02-2016, 03:15 PM

Why not rechamder to the .360 Dan Wesson instead ? It's between the mag and max in length.

"Non Gratum Anus Rodentum"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 32 (permalink) Old 11-07-2016, 09:01 AM

rob applegate did a 475 linebaugh on a 94 marlin for me. How does the length of a 357max compare?

MAKE AMERICA GREAT AGAIN! STEEL FOR TANKS NOT FENCES!!!
post #15 of 32 (permalink) Old 11-07-2016, 09:44 AM

I tried some 357Max dummy rounds in my 336 last month. A single round would feed from the mag and almost chamber except for being too big in dia. With two rounds in the mag both would try to feed and it would jam. Those were with 158gr XTP bullets with a COL around 1.9". I'll have to try some heavier bullets like the 200gr Lee or sierra 200gr rn at around 2.2" COL to see if they are long enough that they don't jam or if it's more of a rim diameter issue and the feed latches just not catching the second cartridge. I'm sure there's a way to adjust for COL in the feed system, but I haven't taken mine apart yet to see.

Never seen a 475 linebaugh but WIKI says the COL is 1.77" which is a little less than what the 158gr COL is at around 1.9". I'd want to use at least 180gr and if possible 200gr cast in mine so the COL would be closer to 2.2"

350 Legend, Imitation is the highest form of flattery. Aww, Thanks Winchester!
post #16 of 32 (permalink) Old 11-08-2016, 07:18 AM

Rob told me the 475 was borderline to long for a 94. I have to use short in the nose bullets in it. So I doubt theres room for a 357max. He also said about 35k was max pressure for the 94. Now ive run a bit higher then that without trouble but sure wouldn't push it past 40k. So what I basically get is 480 rifle performance using 475 brass. Its nice when carrying both the handgun and rifle to be able to share ammo but truth be told a 92 rossi 480 might even be able to be loaded faster then my linebaugh.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moleman
I tried some 357Max dummy rounds in my 336 last month. A single round would feed from the mag and almost chamber except for being too big in dia. With two rounds in the mag both would try to feed and it would jam. Those were with 158gr XTP bullets with a COL around 1.9". I'll have to try some heavier bullets like the 200gr Lee or sierra 200gr rn at around 2.2" COL to see if they are long enough that they don't jam or if it's more of a rim diameter issue and the feed latches just not catching the second cartridge. I'm sure there's a way to adjust for COL in the feed system, but I haven't taken mine apart yet to see.

Never seen a 475 linebaugh but WIKI says the COL is 1.77" which is a little less than what the 158gr COL is at around 1.9". I'd want to use at least 180gr and if possible 200gr cast in mine so the COL would be closer to 2.2"

MAKE AMERICA GREAT AGAIN! STEEL FOR TANKS NOT FENCES!!!
post #17 of 32 (permalink) Old 11-08-2016, 10:38 AM

Send a message via Yahoo to 45-70.gov

i have a marlin i have converted to 357 MAX....equivalent

i use pistol powders in the 35 rem cases and load the down to 357 MAX
this is a very simple conversion
and is easy to covert back to 35 rem

sorry couldn't help myself
i would really like my little winchester trapper 357 mag to be maxed

when drugs are outlawed only out laws will have drugs
DO WHAT EVER IT TAKES TO STOP A DEMOCRAT
OBAMACARE....the biggest tax hike in the history of mankind
free choice and equality can't co-exist
AFTER THE LIBYAN COVER-UP... remind any democrat voters ''they sat and watched them die''...they told help to ''stand down''

many statements made here are fiction and are for entertainment purposes only and are in no way to be construed as a description of actual events.
no one is encouraged to do anything dangerous or break any laws.
post #18 of 32 (permalink) Old 11-08-2016, 11:08 AM

Some of us are limited to straight walled cartridges due to hunting regulations or I'd just use my 336 in 30-30 as marlin had intended. For now, it just sits in the safe unless I go to my buddies in MO or sisters in WI. Rebarreling it in 357Max wouldn't give up a whole lot and would let me hunt with it more frequently. My 444 marlin is in the same boat, but I'm playing around with cutting a few hornady cases down to 1.8" (longest a straight walled case can be in my hunting zone) and seating the bullets out further. Don't think It'll ever match my 444 loads but at least it will get used again.

350 Legend, Imitation is the highest form of flattery. Aww, Thanks Winchester!
post #19 of 32 (permalink) Old 01-07-2017, 11:14 PM

Gun Cabinet

Maybe these guys can do it. Expect to refinance your house to pay for it though.

http://www.rangerpointprecision.com/

Thanks, Dinny

I reload and shoot 348 Win, 358 Win, 6.5 Grendel, 30-06 Springfield, 300 BLK, 44 Mag, 357 Maximum, 9mm, 45 ACP, 45 Colt, 225 Win and 35 Rem
post #20 of 32 (permalink) Old 01-07-2017, 11:37 PM

Gun Cabinet
Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by 45-70.gov View Post
i have a marlin i have converted to 357 MAX....equivalent

i use pistol powders in the 35 rem cases and load the down to 357 MAX
this is a very simple conversion
and is easy to covert back to 35 rem

sorry couldn't help myself
i would really like my little winchester trapper 357 mag to be maxed
This^^^^^^^^
Now I know its not what you want to hear but I have a 35 remy 336 in blue and one in stainless. and if it weren't for that I might want a 357 max. The thirty five rem is better than a 44 mag and can be loaded down and shoots a 200 gr. nugget that will stop anything a 357 max will.

or else...................

God Bless America and Donald Trump !

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Graybeard Outdoors forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page