Purchasing a Taylor's Down Under 45-70 - Graybeard Outdoors

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 09-18-2019, 09:49 PM Thread Starter

Question Purchasing a Taylor's Down Under 45-70

Hello everyone I am looking at purchasing a Taylor's 45-70 Down Under. Yes I know they are expensive but I gotta have it. I am having trouble finding some answers to the questions burning a hole in my head.
1- Can I shoot modern loads out of the Down Under. ie store bought smokeless ammo
( Not planning on shooting Ruger #1 loads Already have a gun for that)
2- Is the 34 inch barrel improve over the 32 inch barrel.
3- Best tang sight to use for shots from 50 yards too 600 yards?
4-

Any and all help answering these questions would be greatly appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 09-19-2019, 08:14 AM

You can safely shoot factory smokeless loads in the Pedersoli made rifle. The extra two inches of barrel may give you another 50 ft/s if shooting black and probably close to that with smokeless. In my opinion, not enough to worry about. It will give a slightly longer sight radius at the expense of added weight. Many opinions one way or the other; both are right, only you can decide. There are many sight manufactures; Montana Vintage Arms, Lee Shaver, Kelly to mention a few. Taylor sells Soule type sights that I think are made by Pedersoli. My guess is the mid-range versions of each will work to 600 yards. I know Montana Vintage Arms sights will, but for the price you’ll pay, I’d certainly talk to someone first.
On another note, you can load black with minimal equipment. Just a decapping tool and priming tool will work. A press is handy to compress the black powder, but if using 777, no compression is necessary. Decap, clean, dry, prime, charge and thumb seat the bullet and you’re ready to go again
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 09-20-2019, 12:25 AM

The rifle is made by Chiappa, not Pedersoli. I would not be concerned about shooting standard or SAAMI specified smokeless loads in the rifle but to be safe, since Taylor's description & details does not mention using smokeless or black powder, I recommend discussing it with them or Chiappa.

In my opinion, Lee Shaver sights are well made and are the best solution for the money. Here's an article on BPCR sight suppliers I wrote some time ago & is still relevant. http://www.texas-mac.com/Sight_Suppl...ge_Rifles.html

Wayne

NRA Life (Benefactor & President's Council) Member, TSRA Life Member, NSSF Member, Author of the Browning BPCR book
http://www.texas-mac.com
As Warren Miller once said "Don't take life seriously because you can't come out of it alive."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 09-20-2019, 10:11 AM

Castaway,
I should clarify my earlier post to say that Chiappa makes three of the four 1874 Down Under models sold by Taylor's Firearms. The most expensive one is made by Pedersoli, the other three by Chiappa. Chiappa makes both the 32" & 34" barrel models and the Pedersoli version only comes with a 34" barrel. Therefore it depends on which model Austin is planning on purchasing.

Austin,
To address your question on 32" vs 34" barrels, I suggest the 32" barrel as there is little or no advantage of the additional 2" unless you plan on shooting in Creedmoor competition out to 1000yds. In that case a different cartridge such as a .45-90 would be a better choice. I'm a long time BPCR silhouette competitor (shooting out to 500yds) & the majority of my fellow competitors shoot .45-70 with 30" or 32" barrel rifles. But if your preference is the model made by Pedersoli than you have no choice - it's 34" or nothing from Taylor's.

BTW, Pedersoli does make other cartridge versions of their Quigley Down Under rifle, i.e., .45-70, .45-90, .45-110, .45-120, but only the .45-70 is available from Taylor's.

For some final comments, Pedersoli makes very high-quality rifles & their button rifled barrels are known for their superior accuracy. If the price is not an issue I would go with Pedersoli over Chiappa. But also keep in mind that the superbly accurate and the highest quality Sharps are made in the USA by Shiloh Sharps.

Wayne

NRA Life (Benefactor & President's Council) Member, TSRA Life Member, NSSF Member, Author of the Browning BPCR book
http://www.texas-mac.com
As Warren Miller once said "Don't take life seriously because you can't come out of it alive."
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 09-22-2019, 03:05 PM Thread Starter

Thank you everyone for the information you have given me. I payed for and ordered the 32 inch quigly model. Wish I would have been able to see this post before I gave the go ahead on ordering and paying for the rifle. Turns out the gun I order is a chiappa made model. Should I be worried about the rifle being a bust. ( trying to find out about returning the firearm)
From what I have gathered on reading other forum is that some chiappas are good shooters others are not. But most post are form the 2014-2016 dates. I wonder about the quality of the newer rifle.
If I cant return it I will just have to stick it out and eventually buy a Pedersoli or a Shilo. Most of the shots I will be taking right now are from 50-600 yards. Will a chiappa be good enough for hunting from 50-150 yards? Sorry for all the questions I'm just worried I have made a mistake on ordering a chiappa rifle and not finding out all the information before ordering.
I have ordered a Soule Long Range Creedmore Sight for the rifle. Worst comes to worst I could always buy another rifle and use them.
The price at my local gun store was only about 75$ in differnce from the Chiappa to the Pedersoli.
Thanks for all the help.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Graybeard Outdoors forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page