The highest quality working-man's bolt guns. - Page 11 - Graybeard Outdoors

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #101 of 118 (permalink) Old 07-14-2017, 09:30 PM

I have a mod 70 feather weight that's about 10 yrs old now. I would not even consider a trade for a pre 64. I think the pre 64 is a good rifle but I have to think the newer ones are better. That rifle, mod 70 they came out with in 64 was a disaster, it looked cheap every where. The 788, I have my third now was a super inexpensive rifle. So were the 600 series but they were Butt ugly! The old Savage 110 was another ugly thing but had Savage put their new trigger on it, it would have made a huge difference. Keep in mind that old Savage 110 was about as accurate as you could get back them. Nobody liked how they looked but every one liked how the shot! I've got three old 700 ADL's and wouldn't trade them off either. But I must admit before I got the wood stock on my 243, I could have easily! I have another ADL, a 25-06 and a BDL, 6.5x06. I much prefer the ADL's!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #102 of 118 (permalink) Old 08-13-2017, 05:29 AM

How about taking the MarkX off the list and adding the Remington 722 and 721. Don't recall ever hearing of one of the those bolt handles falling off. Of late there has been a rash of Remington bolt handles falling off. One big box store reports opening on a Monday and found all the bolt handles had fallen off Remington's including those still in the original packaging not on display. This included thirty-two 700's and a few Model Sevens.
post #103 of 118 (permalink) Old 09-28-2017, 03:09 AM

I bought a 788 in 22-250 in 1969 for $69 and change. Real walnut stock. Dimes at 100 yards and sometimes at 200. Shot a running red fox at 379 steps. The luckiest shot in my life so far. A friend bought one of the first BARs in Wisconsin in about 1966 from a shop in Green Bay for $165.00 & I eventually ended up with it. Currently I have a 1903 military Greek Mannlicher that I put a Mannlicher stock on and (real) butter knife bolt handle on. Once I get started, I'm hard to shut up.

Vote them all out, EVERY election!

Does anyone remember the scene from "Quigley Down Under" showing the aborigines lined up on the skyline as far as you could see? That needs to be US!
NRA Life Member
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #104 of 118 (permalink) Old 02-13-2018, 02:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by charles p View Post
I think it is hard to go wrong with a well kept older Rem 700.
Hard to go wrong with any well kept rifle! People buying inexpensive rifles seem to like plastic and stainless a whole lot. I think these people are hard on guns and inexpensive or expensive would destroy it. Just because a working man can pull out a credit card doesn't mean he can afford to spend the money!
post #105 of 118 (permalink) Old 02-14-2018, 07:01 AM

don't know how many 77s ive owned through the years but its more then a dozen for sure. I know ive had 9 tang safety rugers and out of those 9 only one was an exceptional shooter and that was a 250 sav ultra light that you wouldn't expect to shoot. Most were between barely exceptable(2 inch) to dump as fast as possible(3inch or even more). the mark IIs were suppose to be better and had me fooled at first. I bought a 2506 that was an absoulute tack driver. Next one was a 264 mag that was terrible, a 7 mag that was terrible and a 280 that was 2 in barely expecptable. Ive never owned a single model 700 that I couldn't get to shoot 1.5 inch a 100 yards for 5 shots. that said the ones that didn't shoot moa or better disappointed me. that's old ones and new ones as ive got both.

Anyone here the knows me knows I SHOOT ALOT. I don't have a bolt gun in the cabinet today that doesn't have at least a 1000 rounds shot out of it. Funny thing is IVE NEVER had a single problem with a rem 700. Well I have to take that back. I bought a 280 mountain gun back in the 80s that someone slipped with the stock copying machine and put a gouge in the stock by the black tip. I sent it right back to rem and had a new stock within two weeks. I sure cant say that about ruger because between handguns and rifles I had more problems then all the rest of the brands combined.

Like I said before its seems like some see someone bashing Remington and think it makes them look gun savoy so they do the same. Others will tell bald face lies about guns they never even owned to win an argument. (not referring to you in any of this quatroclick) Ill say this to close. If remingtons were pos rifles. if the bolt handles fell off just from shipping the gun I have to doubt if half the snipers in the service today that use 700s wouldn't be getting killed when they fell off under battle conditions. Yes they have newer high tech sniper rifles today but many still prefer there 700 and id bet you couldn't find a single one that would want to swap it for a savage, Winchester, howa, tikka, weatherby or especially a ruger. It is the hands down the most battle proven bolt action gun in use in the whole world today. Funny thing is it does I with a bolt handle that falls off just breathing on it and non controlled round feeding that dumps the snipers round on the ground when hes standing on his head shooting. But they obviously know nothing and I should listen to all the internet experts instead.

Its the same idiots that claim the ar15 is junk unless you pay 3000 dollars for one. Or glocks are unsafe because they don't have a safety. Ive even ran into idiots I gun shops that claim to shoot about every day and I ask them what there favorite load is in there gun and they say they would never use inferior handloads they only use factory ammo. Well there everyday shoot must be one round a day unless there a doctor. Same thing again with rifles.

I talk to one guy in the gun shop trading off his 270 sps 700. I asked him why. he said because the best group he got with it was 2inch. I looked at the gun and it had a "beautiful" 3x9 tasco scope and I asked him what loads he had tried and he said he bought a box of 180 grain corelocks because that's what his dad said was the most accurate ammo made for any gun. that right there is the typical Remington basher. Same type that preach there gun has to be control round fed when the original poster is asking about a frigging 243 to hunt deer with. Don't know about where you live but there isn't many elephants around our camp. Havent seen one in years! Buy what you want but just know that the 700 still outsells them all and has for most of my life. Might be good reason.
Quote:
Originally Posted by quatroclick View Post
I would add the Ruger 77 to the list. My experience with several tang safety guns has been really positive. I grew up in a Remington 700 household, but the first center fire bolt action that tugged at my heartstrings as a teenager was a M77 in 30-06. Every 700 and 77 that I have ever owned was capable of 1-1/2" or better 5 shot groups at 100 yards with their preferred loads. My favorites are a no-fuss Rem 700 ADL in 270 that shoots 3/4" 5 shot groups with cheap Federal ammo, and a well worn Ruger flat bolt M77 in 308 that handles like a dream, is relatively light, and has fine field accuracy which hovers a bit over an inch. The stocks on the earliest M77 rifles were very nice. Later on, they got a little bit clunky, but still quite usable.

New manufacturing techniques lead to new designs. Today's cheapest rifles are probably the best cheapest rifles ever, marvels considering the price.

MAKE AMERICA GREAT AGAIN! STEEL FOR TANKS NOT FENCES!!!
post #106 of 118 (permalink) Old 02-14-2018, 07:06 AM

I call absolute bs on this one. If that were true it would be all over the internet. If it happened which I seriously doubt it happened because so disgruntled employee took a hammer to them. I could almost buy it if you said one. If you said two id raise my eyebrows but over 30 of them at the same time in the same store. You should have added that lightning hit 4 employees that left the store 15 minutes apart on the same night and two of those got ran over by cars on there way home from the hospital.
Quote:
Originally Posted by J.G.Terry View Post
How about taking the MarkX off the list and adding the Remington 722 and 721. Don't recall ever hearing of one of the those bolt handles falling off. Of late there has been a rash of Remington bolt handles falling off. One big box store reports opening on a Monday and found all the bolt handles had fallen off Remington's including those still in the original packaging not on display. This included thirty-two 700's and a few Model Sevens.

MAKE AMERICA GREAT AGAIN! STEEL FOR TANKS NOT FENCES!!!
post #107 of 118 (permalink) Old 02-14-2018, 12:14 PM

Gun Cabinet

I have a friend who's Rem M710 bolt handle broke off firing his first box of [factory] ammo. It wouldn't surprise me if they had a bad batch of rifle bolt's that were mad all together on the same line during a short time frame. Seems doable considering Remington's recalls are proof of low QC. Also seems like something Rem would like to keep silent and generally off the internet.

Thanks, Dinny

I reload and shoot 348 Win, 358 Win, 6.5 Grendel, 30-06 Springfield, 300 BLK, 44 Mag, 357 Maximum, 9mm, 45 ACP, 45 Colt, 225 Win and 35 Rem
post #108 of 118 (permalink) Old 02-14-2018, 01:26 PM
dcw

rem 700...Ruger M77

I also believe the 98 Mauser, Mosins, Enfield's and Springfield's fit the category, too.

lead, follow, or get out of the way!
post #109 of 118 (permalink) Old 02-18-2018, 07:24 PM

OK. Might have missed it but, would someone define working man? Does he make $300k a year or does he make $25k a year?
post #110 of 118 (permalink) Old 04-21-2018, 08:51 AM

My three older brothers and I came of age in the 1970's in N. Texas. Sons of a farmer and a nurse; we were born working.
Our choices bought with hard earned cash- Ruger flat bolt m77 .243, Marlin336 30-30, Rem 600 6mm, and a Rem 788 22-250 for me. Only my brother with the Marlin still has his. We other three wish we still had ours......

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Graybeard Outdoors forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page