Keep Savage or go to Winchester 70 pre64 - Graybeard Outdoors

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-03-2017, 10:58 AM Thread Starter

Default Keep Savage or go to Winchester 70 pre64

I have had a Savage 300 Win Mag for 15-20 years. It has one of those not-so-great factory plastic stocks. I've always wanted to restock it with wood and rebarrel it with a heavier barrel. It has a very skinny barrel and I'd like to go to a magnum profile just for a little more weight. After putting it off for years, I was ready to start ordering my parts. I was thinking of switching it to 30-06 at the same time, just to take the edge off of the recoil.

But my friend just offered me a pre-'64 Winchester model 70 Featherweight in 30-06. It's in good shape. If I buy it I would use it as a shooter and not a collector's item safe queen. I'd probably spend more money buying the Winchester than redoing my Savage but truthfully I would like the Winchester a lot more than the Savage at least in personal satisfaction and appreciation department if that makes any sense.

What would you do? Which one would you think would be a better day in and day out using rifle? Oh, decisions! It would be nice to have an unlimited firearms fund but until I win the lottery decisions have to be made.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-03-2017, 12:32 PM

Buy the Mod 70. You will never regret it, nor will your grandchildren someday.
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-03-2017, 02:28 PM

You've used that Savage for 15-20 yrs and think it need's to go? For myself, the plastic stock is a real turn off, it would have been gone long ago. This sound to me like the guy tht's been married to the same woman 20 yrs and figure's he can do better so dumps her! I'd stay with the Savage and hold off on the new barrel. The wood stock is gonna add weight. I'd wait and see after the new stock!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-03-2017, 04:16 PM

A pre64 model 70 in nice shape would be my choice. Do you know what year the model 70 was mfg?

Byron

Christian by choice, American by the grace of God.

NRA LIFE, Trump for 2020
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-03-2017, 10:55 PM

I would choose the model 70 for the looks, quality, and the controlled feed.
My brother in Oregon has one in 308, and it shoots like a target rifle with his reloads.

HEAVEN HAS A WALL, A GATE, AND A STRICT IMMIGRATION POLICY.
HEII HAS OPEN BORDERS. taken from fox news

DEMOCRATS/ABORTIONISTS SHOULD TAKE HEED OF THE FACT THAT BABIES ARE GOD'S MOST PRECIOUS.

MURDER BABIES AND YOU "WILL" BURN FOR ETERNITY.
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-04-2017, 09:26 AM

The Savage has worked for 15-20 years as is. Buying the Winchester would be a no brainer for me.
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-04-2017, 10:36 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by pastorp View Post
A pre64 model 70 in nice shape would be my choice. Do you know what year the model 70 was mfg?
No I don't. I will email him to see if he knows and ask for the serial no.
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-04-2017, 11:50 AM

With the sereal # you should be able to date it on the Winchester collectors forum.

Byron

Christian by choice, American by the grace of God.

NRA LIFE, Trump for 2020
post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-04-2017, 12:09 PM

Reload, or have someone reload for you, the 300 to 30-06 ballistics. Waayyy cheaper but it will still be the same 'working' gun you know and trust.
The above makes waayyy too much good sense, we are talking about gun lust here and you are deep in.
BTDT and still aint cured......
post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-04-2017, 08:04 PM Thread Starter

I just spent a little time researching reloading data and component prices. For a 150 grain bullet at about 3000 fps-which would be a maximum load for 30-06 but a starting load for 300 WinMag I'd have to shoot over 3,000 rounds before I'd begin to recover the cost of even a cheap new barrel. I'm not sure I'll shoot that many rounds in this gun in the years I have left on this planet.

The wood stock is a different issue. I just want that.

I think I will probably pass on that Winchester. Even though I would absolutely love to own it, in reality it would probably just wind up sitting in the safe. Considering what it's worth now and will likely be worth in 30 years, it's probably not a wise investment.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Graybeard Outdoors forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page