barrel break in ? - Graybeard Outdoors

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-13-2017, 10:56 AM Thread Starter

Gun Cabinet
Default barrel break in ?

just picked up a new ruger American in 6.5 creedmoor. it has a hammer forged barrel is there any special break in procedures for this kind of barrel? or do I just shoot one then clean repeat 10 times then shoot 3 shots clean repeat 5 times then 5shots clean repeat 5 times[found this procedure on savages website]?or is there a betterway? thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-20-2017, 01:41 PM

I've only ever broke in one barrel in my life and I'd have a hard time complaining about accuracy it any gun I've ever owned. The one I broke i was a 700 in 6.5x06 and if Breakin did anything, I have no clue what it was!
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-20-2017, 02:32 PM

Location: THE REPUBLIC OF TEXAS or CENTRAL FREDONIAN REPUBLIC
Gun Cabinet

if there is a manufacturer's recommended procedure, i would follow
that just to avoid any possible future warranty issues.
otherwise just put bullets down the chute

The United States doesn't have a gun control problem.
We have a people control problem.

Honor the Texas flag;I pledge allegiance to thee, Texas,
one state under God, one and indivisible.

* * * * AMERICA * * * *
LOVE IT OR LEAVE IT ! !
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-21-2017, 08:22 PM

Shoot one round and clean the barrel of all Copper. I use Bore Tech CU+2 or eliminator - your choice as they are both excellent copper removers. Do this 25 times or until no sign of copper - which ever comes first. The break-in procedure is not for accuracy; itís for ease of cleaning once broke-in. Most chrome moly, hammer forged barrels are rough, so I doubt it will break-in like a match barrel.

Breaking the barrel-in using this method will reduce copper fouling, how much depends on the roughness of the barrel. Takes the better part of a day, but Iíve done it on many chrome molly barrels and a few cleaned up but most were copper strippers. Iíve never had a match barrel that didnít clean up nicely after 8 to 21 rounds.

Tubbís has some fire forming rounds that do a quicker job of it but a rough barrel will just copper foul, some more than others, but breaking-in will help all barrels foul less. At least that has been my experience over the past 50 years of shooting, both competitive and plinking.

Do not fear the Enemy, for your Enemy can only take your Life. It is far better to keep the Media at bay, for they will Steal Your Honor.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-22-2017, 11:55 AM

Gun Cabinet

Quote:
Originally Posted by ole 5 hole group View Post
The break-in procedure is not for accuracy; itís for ease of cleaning once broke-in.
Back when the "break-in" craze started I jumped right on it's bandwagon! After the dust settled all I accomplished was to wear out a couple a cleaning rods and end up with an arm like a Go-rilla's!

So, I put breaking in a barrel right up there with cryo and moly coating on the usefulness scale.

Nowadays, if I do anything, I stroke the bore a bit with JB Bore Compound and call it good.

Richard
Former Captain of Horse, keeper of the peace and interpreter of statute. Currently a Gentleman of Leisure.
Nemo me impune lacessit

Support your local US Military Vets Motorcycle Club
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-22-2017, 07:40 PM

Keeping the barrel clean is the most important step for accuracy.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-22-2017, 08:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by atllaw View Post
So, I put breaking in a barrel right up there with cryo and moly coating on the usefulness scale.

Nowadays, if I do anything, I stroke the bore a bit with JB Bore Compound and call it good.
Richard, that gorilla under arm smell must of had a negative effect on ya. in that you didnít give your rougher than a cob barrel a couple thousand more strokes.

Cryo treatment usually doesnít do much for the riflesís accuracy but it does aid the rifleman when shooting multiable rounds in rapid fire, as the bullets wonít walk from a hot barrel that has been ďheat treatedĒ or Cryo treated - barrel life might be improved by a couple hundred rounds relative to itís ďbest accuracyĒ, normally associated with custom match barrels that are usually heat treated.

JB Bore Paste does a good job if used long enough - like maybe a year or two.

Do not fear the Enemy, for your Enemy can only take your Life. It is far better to keep the Media at bay, for they will Steal Your Honor.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-22-2017, 08:48 PM

Hammer forged barrels are smoother and better over-all quality.

Button rifling is very good, but not like hammer forged.

HEAVEN HAS A WALL, A GATE, AND A STRICT IMMIGRATION POLICY.
H*LL HAS OPEN BORDERS. taken from fox news

DEMOCRATS/ABORTIONISTS SHOULD TAKE HEED OF THE FACT THAT BABIES ARE GOD'S MOST PRECIOUS.

MURDER BABIES AND YOU "WILL" BURN FOR ETERNITY.
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-23-2017, 03:50 AM

like some others ive been there and done that and saw very little if any gain from it. It its a shooter it usually will be right out of the box. If it isn't its going to take probably more then barrel break in or even tubs lapping bullets (that I used to be a big fan of myself) to change much. Id say clean it take it out and start shooting groups. Clean it after ever session at the range to get the copper out and when you get done with load development and find the load you like the best go back and try it one last time. If its good its good. If a gun starts out as a 2moa gun your not going to make it into a 1/2 moa gun lapping or breaking it in.

MAKE AMERICA GREAT AGAIN! STEEL FOR TANKS NOT FENCES!!!
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-23-2017, 12:02 PM Thread Starter

Gun Cabinet

well I shot one and cleaned, after 8 shots copper fouling was a lot less did this 10 times .then the next day I shot 3 rounds and cleaned hardly any copper fouling then shot 3 rounds 4 times waiting for barrel to cool down a little between each 3 rounds gave it a good cleaning copper fouling was not much more than after the first 3 rounds shot .i'll do the same shooting 5 round strings and call it good .I wasn't trying to shoot for accuracy didn't hang up a target but was shooting at a 9" steel plate and small rocks from 100 yards and hit the plate everytime and 5 out of 6 rocks [3''-5''rocks]

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Graybeard Outdoors forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page