Tale of Two Mausers a M93 to 45 ACP and M95 to 35 Rem - Page 2 - Graybeard Outdoors

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 73 (permalink) Old 10-11-2018, 10:27 AM Thread Starter

Not sure why my pics showing upside down when they are right side up on my end. Guess you will all have stand on your head to see them correctly....

Cartridges for My Entertainment: 22lr, .223 Rem, 30-06, 380 ACP, 38 spcl, 357 mag/max, , 35 Remington, 35 Whelen, 358 Norma Mag, 10mm Auto, 45 ACP. Mmmmkay what project can I do next... oh, I can't right now I am going hunting!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 73 (permalink) Old 10-11-2018, 02:46 PM

Now you have me thinking about trying to find a beater 93/95/96 to do something with. I had a sporterized 96 for several years and took a 14 point Mule deer with it along with a few feral hogs.

I stand for the Republic and all who oppose me be cursed!
post #13 of 73 (permalink) Old 10-11-2018, 03:13 PM

Since the 35 Rem is a slightly smaller case, do you expect problems with the extractor and/or ejector?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 73 (permalink) Old 10-12-2018, 07:37 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merle View Post
Since the 35 Rem is a slightly smaller case, do you expect problems with the extractor and/or ejector?
The extractor was opened up slightly to accept a 7.62 Nato round. So the smaller 35 Remington does have a lot of play on the bolt face. You do not hear the detent "click" when a 35 Rem brass is inserted under the extractor like you do when a 308 Winchester piece of brass is inserted. Rhineland Arms website recommends replacing the extractor with a Ruger 77 223 one from Brownells. They provide the part number on their website. Some modification is required, but they said it was a simple one to do. They said it should resolve both the Controlled Round Feed and provide solid Controlled Round Extraction.

I have had no problems with ejection of cases as long as you don't short stroke the bolt.

I have tried feeding 5 dummy rounds from the mag well. In my opinion, yes there will be some issues to address for feeding. Sometimes I can get all five to feed just fine when operating as a military mauser action should, with vigor. However, I have feed problems when slowly feeding a round in the chamber. So I was already working on an idea to try with the 93. This may be caused by the rough rails or the gap between the follower guide and the side rail or entry ramp.

Now the Chilean 95 may work a little better. Not sure yet since I do not have it in hand yet. It was not modified for the Nato round and the metal is in much betters shape.

Numrich also sells a 7.62x39 follower and spacer kit for the mauser to address shorter cartridge feed issues. I may end up ordering one of them to see if that will help as well.

I test a 45 acp brass case on the 93 bolt. It snaps under the extractor just fine and is held in place as is... Now my next step is scrounge the funds for the Rhineland 45 acp mauser kit.
post #15 of 73 (permalink) Old 10-12-2018, 07:43 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickt300 View Post
Now you have me thinking about trying to find a beater 93/95/96 to do something with. I had a sporterized 96 for several years and took a 14 point Mule deer with it along with a few feral hogs.
That is what got me.

Someone else showed off their 45 acp conversion on the forum and I caught the bug bad.

I had pretty much written off sporterizing mausers, but they keep pulling me back in!.

Cartridges for My Entertainment: 22lr, .223 Rem, 30-06, 380 ACP, 38 spcl, 357 mag/max, , 35 Remington, 35 Whelen, 358 Norma Mag, 10mm Auto, 45 ACP. Mmmmkay what project can I do next... oh, I can't right now I am going hunting!
post #16 of 73 (permalink) Old 10-20-2018, 10:39 AM

Following this closely! I just happen to have a 95 Chilean barreled action in VG condition except for a very badly corroded bore..........hmm.
post #17 of 73 (permalink) Old 10-23-2018, 04:30 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by spruce View Post
Following this closely! I just happen to have a 95 Chilean barreled action in VG condition except for a very badly corroded bore..........hmm.
I prefer the Chilean to the Spanish mauser any day. The Chileans were made in Germany and was the best the industrial world had to offer at that time. If my 35 Remington project turns out as good as I hope then I say go for it!

FYI-I turned a rough Go guage on my lathe. It came out so-so. I went ahead and ordered a Go guage from PTG just as a precaution this time and to double check my work against a factory guage.

I will make a no-go by cutting circular wafer from a .005 feeler guage set and use that on the bolt face in conjunction with my go guage to set headspace on the barrel. It should be here in about 4 weeks since PTG had to make it. Now if my homemade guage is close enough then I may finish it out as a No-Go and will use that.
post #18 of 73 (permalink) Old 10-24-2018, 06:16 PM

The Numrich short follower kit that I got years ago with a 7.62x39 barrel was junk- the barrel however is prime. I reworked it to 30-30 Win on a 1916 Spanish and it shoots great with cast & jacketed. The follower, spacer and spring did not work on 7.62x39 at all but it might on .35 Rem. It was cheaply made IMO.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk
post #19 of 73 (permalink) Old 11-07-2018, 03:56 AM

cool project - any recent progress?

NRA Life

liberal Justice Hugo Black said, and I quote: "There are 'absolutes' in our Bill of Rights, and they were put there on purpose by men who knew what words meant and meant their prohibitions to be 'absolutes.'" End quote. From a recent article by Wayne LaPierre NRA
post #20 of 73 (permalink) Old 11-07-2018, 04:34 AM

I just joined because if this post, I have one 1916 Spanish mauser I'm restoring and one I am gathering parts for the 35rem conversion.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Graybeard Outdoors forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page