8 Top Bolt-Action Rifles For Hunting And More - Page 2 - Graybeard Outdoors

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 52 (permalink) Old 10-15-2018, 05:23 PM

Reading the article, they appear to all be new for 2018, which would explain why Remington isn't on that list.

I hear good things about the Bergara, since they've been making barrels for custom builds for so long, they came out swinging with the B-14. The weatherby, savage, and mossberg got a paint job and new stock offering. Lithgow, Franchi and Mauser seem like new imports, from old makers. The CZ 557 is a lot of gun for the $, but it made this list only because it came out in LH for 2018.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 52 (permalink) Old 10-17-2018, 04:09 AM

How about a T3?
post #13 of 52 (permalink) Old 10-24-2018, 05:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.G.Terry View Post
How about a T3?
T3's occupy 3 spots on my top 8 rifle list.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 52 (permalink) Old 04-22-2019, 05:04 PM

Just a clicky-baity deal.

BUT... I will say that I'm glad to see that it's all turnbolts and that they didn't try to stick in a single shot, a lever gun, and a semi-auto just to be PC. The reality is that turnbolts are where it's at for hunting, for sure. The most superior platform by far, for many reasons discussed before. Love my levers and semis and pumps, but you can't beat a bolt action for hunting.

And how do you define "top"? Where's Proof, Fierce, and Christensen? Those are fine fine rifles. So are Sakos, Coopers, Mausers (new production), Blaser, Steyr, Nosler, and so on.

I dunno about "top", but my favorites that I have are a T/C Icon, a Win 70 FW (FN made), Wby Mk V ULW, another Win 70, Rem Seven, Browning AB2, CZ 527, and CZ 550.

Currently reloading: .30-'06, .280 Rem, 6.5x55, .260 Rem, .35 Rem, .357 Max (subsonic handgun), .357 Max (supersonic handgun), .357 Mag (supersonic rifle), .243 Win, 5.56x45 (subsonic rifle), .45 Colt, 10mm, 9x19 (& .50 Cal ML)

Currently shooting but not reloading: .458 Win mag, .375 HH Mag, 5.56x45 (supersonic), .223 Rem, .17 HMR, .22 mag, .22lr, 12 ga, 20 ga, manual bows, vertical X-bows

Used to reload: 6.5-'06, .218 Bee, .45-70 Gov't, .270 Win, .22 Reed Express (& .45 Cal ML)

Last edited by Jussie Mangum Brawley; 04-22-2019 at 05:08 PM.
post #15 of 52 (permalink) Old 04-22-2019, 09:02 PM

I have 2 rem 700 adl 30-06s relatively new guns both recalled by Rem for new safeties. I sold a local young man one of my motorcycles. I learned he was later killed by a model 700 that fired in his hunting cabin, the gun just went off.

mike
post #16 of 52 (permalink) Old 04-22-2019, 09:26 PM

I kinda like my .280 T/C Venture, the triggers not great but not bad either. I've had Remington 700's, Mauser 98 type, Winchester 70's and Rugers. Liked my Ruger #1 in 7 mag, it shot almost as good as the Venture.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	target_2.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	83.4 KB
ID:	229570  

Click image for larger version

Name:	.280 Venture.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	49.9 KB
ID:	229572  

post #17 of 52 (permalink) Old 04-22-2019, 10:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike$ View Post
I have 2 rem 700 adl 30-06s relatively new guns both recalled by Rem for new safeties. I sold a local young man one of my motorcycles. I learned he was later killed by a model 700 that fired in his hunting cabin, the gun just went off.

mike
Wow , that would put me on a guilt trip for sure . I have stayed away from Remington bolt guns ever since hearing of these accidents for several years now . Although it still seems to be the rifle of choice for the military sniper . I am partial to rifles with grooved dovetail receivers like Sako s ,CZ S .
post #18 of 52 (permalink) Old 04-22-2019, 11:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrallen51 View Post
I kinda like my .280 T/C Venture, the triggers not great but not bad either. I've had Remington 700's, Mauser 98 type, Winchester 70's and Rugers. Liked my Ruger #1 in 7 mag, it shot almost as good as the Venture.
That's a great group that will be better when you subtract .284" to get your center to center measurement.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk
post #19 of 52 (permalink) Old 04-23-2019, 06:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Graybeard View Post
Anyone else besides me noticed that articles like this one always seem to leave out Remington these days? Used to be they were the first mentioned in such articles. I wouldn't trade one Remington for two and likely not even for three of any of these.
looks to me other then the weatherby and savage theres just a bunch of crap there that if you paid 600 bucks for today the gun shop wouldn't even want on trade on a good gun. Probably depreciate 50 percent when you walk out the door. I know some like cz's and there good guns but they just don't sell up here. List didn't include Remington 700s, win 70s or ruger 77s. About like reading consumer report with the bias toward jap cars and trucks. Me? if I have 800 bucks to spend on a bolt gun its going to be a 700, 70 or maybe a wby vanguard. If I have only 300 bucks im going to save longer.

MAKE AMERICA GREAT AGAIN! STEEL FOR TANKS NOT FENCES!!!
post #20 of 52 (permalink) Old 04-23-2019, 06:54 AM

so were suppose to believe a rifle sitting on a table just went off all on its own and just happened to aimed right at the guy who was killed? Ill call bs on this one. Then ill ask what the **** he was doing bringing a loaded gun into camp in the first place and standing or sitting with the barrel pointing at himself. 99 percent of the cases that are claimed against 700s are idiots that don't have enough sense to know to keep your finger off the trigger until you are ready to shoot and to keep the muzzle pointed in a safe direction. Ive shot the old 700s that are suppose to be guilty of this for over 40 years. Ive probably owned 30 of them through the years and have put many thousands of rounds down range through them and never once has a 700 gone off when my finger wasn't on the trigger. What this is is some stupid sob that practices poor gun handling and has his gun go off and gets embarrassed or shoots someone or family finds someone dead that shot himself and is looking for an excuse. Or want to turn there screw up into money by suiting Remington. Its why everything today has to have a warning label on it. Got to stamp right on the barrel to read your owners manual before shooting. The world is full of stupid people! excluding the very rare chance of a ricochet or blow up every person that's ever been killed with a firearm in the world has had to have a gun pointed at him. Cant fix stupid
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike$ View Post

mike

MAKE AMERICA GREAT AGAIN! STEEL FOR TANKS NOT FENCES!!!

Last edited by lloyd smale; 04-23-2019 at 07:01 AM.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Graybeard Outdoors forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page