8 Top Bolt-Action Rifles For Hunting And More - Page 3 - Graybeard Outdoors

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #21 of 52 (permalink) Old 04-23-2019, 07:21 AM

So many nice guns............So few day's on the planet to enjoy them. I've owned just about all the (common man) American made brands over the years from single shots to Bolt guns.Loved most, and didn't a few. Always wanted a straight pull rifle,just never got around to owning one. At least I don't remember owning one.These day's I kind of like the single shot designs.The assault rifles of yesterday!

I don't think of myself as a staunch Republican or Democrat.
I am a Christian and a Conservative...........In that order!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 52 (permalink) Old 04-23-2019, 07:38 AM

Location: 3 miles NW of Brownells retail store and they keep me broke!

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.G.Terry View Post
Where is the Model 70 Winchesters? How many of those rifles are totally untested by the firearm using consumers? That list seriously flunks the smell test. Personal Experience: Of the three unintentional discharges from Remington's all had Bubba Custom Shop triggers.
I fully agree. Back around 1980 I spent a lot of my spare time at Rose's Gun Shop in Grinnell Iowa. Keith built some high dollar custom guns and had the Remington 700 trigger figured out. I hate to say how many 700 Remingtons came to the shop that had been screwed with by someone who had no idea what they were doing. They would go off when the safety was flipped from safe to fire. Or the safety would be completely rendered inert because they got heavy on the wrong adjustment. They were a finicky trigger to adjust and not to be messed with by Bubba with his multi-tool.

I remember Keith once saying how he had sold over 800 Remington 700s/model7s and never had one from the factory with a bad/unsafe trigger. However 1 out of 4 used ones that were traded into the shop had a trigger problem. I will always maintain that the problem was not with Remington but with backyard do-it-yourselfers who screwed up the trigger and then dumped an unsafe gun into the market!

In my humble opinion and that's all it is "my 2 cents worth". The best factory bolt rifle on the market for guys in the money class of most of us is the Howa 1500. The first thing most custom shops do to a Remington 700 is replace the extractor with an m16 or variant style extractor. The Howa is pretty much the same gun as the 700 but comes from the factory with that extractor already installed. The Howa and 700 even take the same scope bases. Now that does not mean that I am going to run down to Brownells and trade any of my old 700s or model 7 for a Howa. the very thought makes me cringe. However since the Remington take over I have bought a few Howas as opposed to the new Remingtons and am not sorry. Side note: The Howa and the Weatherby Vanguard are the same gun minus a few flutes on the bolt that the Wizzby sports.

The new FN Winchester model 70 along with the Ruger 77 being left off that list makes the list null and void to me. Heck I'll I take a Ruger American or TC Compass over a Mossberg Patriot any day! I have two Compasses, one in 243 and one in 7mm-08 that have 3 pound factory triggers and will shoot sub moa with a host of ammo. I paid $299 each and they came with a $75 rebate. Heck you can't even buy a good pellet gun for $225. They make great behind the seat truck guns and as far the coyotes go they still think I'm shooting my custom 700 with Shilen barrel.
post #23 of 52 (permalink) Old 04-23-2019, 07:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lloyd smale View Post
so were suppose to believe a rifle sitting on a table just went off all on its own and just happened to aimed right at the guy who was killed? Ill call bs on this one. Then ill ask what the **** he was doing bringing a loaded gun into camp in the first place and standing or sitting with the barrel pointing at himself. 99 percent of the cases that are claimed against 700s are idiots that don't have enough sense to know to keep your finger off the trigger until you are ready to shoot and to keep the muzzle pointed in a safe direction. Ive shot the old 700s that are suppose to be guilty of this for over 40 years. Ive probably owned 30 of them through the years and have many thousands of rounds down range through them and never once has a 700 gone off when my finger wasn't on the trigger. What this is is some stupid sob that practices poor gun handling and has his gun go off and gets embarrassed or shoots someone or family finds someone dead that shot himself and is looking for an excuse. Or want to turn there screw up into money by suiting Remington. Its why everything today has to have a warning label on it. Got to stamp right on the barrel to read your owners manual before shooting. The world is full of stupid people! excluding the very rare chance of a ricochet or blow up every person that's ever been killed with a firearm in the world has had to have a gun pointed at him. Cant tfix stupid
I have at least 3 model 700s plus a bunch of Rem shotguns I am big fan of Rem firearms. It is my understanding that moving the safety on some 700s could cause it to fire. Maybe you weren't aware of a national recall on Rem. model 700s for that reason but I sent 2 brand new guns to get the safeties replaced. He was a good young man and a regular hunter and shooter tell his family that this is bs.

mike
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #24 of 52 (permalink) Old 04-23-2019, 08:01 AM

aint my first rodeo. Anyone that's on this fourm or reads a gun rag has heard about this and anyone that understands guns knows the amount of bs in this. Ask that family why there son had a loaded gun in camp and was sitting in front of the muzzle. How is that remingtons fault. that and I have never heard of one case other then this that a gun went off all on its own. Heard storys about them going off when working the bolt or taking the safety off but NEVER going off just sitting on a table. Id say about every one of those cases involved someone shooting someone else because its pretty tough to shoot yourself with a bolt action rifle without do it deliberately.

If that gun went off magicaly all on its own there would have been a huge law suit and it would have been all over the news. Sorry but to anyone with a lick of sense that story either has huge holes in it or theres something fishy about it. Raise your hand here if you've ever seen or heard of a gun just going off sitting in a gun rack or on a table. Bet not a single hand is raised. Then raise your hand if you are dump enough to bring your rifle into camp loaded and lay it somewhere that the muzzle might be pointed at you or someone else!!

May not be nice to say but stupidity or someone else at camp killed that kid not Remington. My 10 year old grandson wouldn't be stupid enough to bring a loaded gun into camp and surely not stupid enough to point it at himself. He knows very well where grandpas boot would be. With no better explanation then a gun going off all by itself id be pretty interested in what was being covered up. My guess is theres another family member that doesn't sleep well at night.
Quote:
It is my understanding that moving the safety on some 700s could cause it to fire
If that was the cause then did he take the safety off with the barrel pointed at himself????? If that was the cause the gun was in someone elses hands period. Sorry but I cant dream up any senerio where id have a loaded gun in camp aimed at my head or chest while I exercised the safety! So yes I would have to call bs on this. I cant imagine an educated judge looking at this and buying it. Unless the judge was some ultra liberal gun hating person that would love to take down a gun maker. Personaly I have to wonder why this didn't make the liberal national news or wasn't a headline on msn's home page. Sorry but it smells like a fish left in the trunk for a week.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike$ View Post
I have at least 3 model 700s plus a bunch of Rem shotguns I am big fan of Rem firearms. It is my understanding that moving the safety on some 700s could cause it to fire. Maybe you weren't aware of a national recall on Rem. model 700s for that reason but I sent 2 brand new guns to get the safeties replaced. He was a good young man and a regular hunter and shooter tell his family that this is bs.

mike

MAKE AMERICA GREAT AGAIN! STEEL FOR TANKS NOT FENCES!!!

Last edited by lloyd smale; 04-23-2019 at 08:11 AM.
post #25 of 52 (permalink) Old 04-23-2019, 08:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lloyd smale View Post
aint my first rodeo. Anyone that's on this fourm or reads a gun rag has heard about this and anyone that understands guns knows the amount of bs in this. Ask that family why there son had a loaded gun in camp and was sitting in front of the muzzle. How is that remingtons fault. that and I have never heard of one case other then this that a gun went off all on its own. Heard storys about them going off when working the bolt or taking the safety off but NEVER going off just sitting on a table. Id say about every one of those cases involved someone shooting someone else because its pretty tough to shoot yourself with a bolt action rifle without do it deliberately.

If that gun went off magicaly all on its own there would have been a huge law suit and it would have been all over the news. Sorry but to anyone with a lick of sense that story either has huge holes in it or theres something fishy about it. Raise your hand here if you've ever seen or heard of a gun just going off sitting in a gun rack or on a table. Bet not a single hand is raised. Then raise your hand if you are dump enough to bring your rifle into camp loaded and lay it somewhere that the muzzle might be pointed at you or someone else!!

May not be nice to say but stupidity or someone else at camp killed that kid not Remington. My 10 year old grandson wouldn't be stupid enough to bring a loaded gun into camp and surely not stupid enough to point it at himself. He knows very well where grandpas boot would be. With no better explanation then a gun going off all by itself id be pretty interested in what was being covered up. My guess is theres another family member that doesn't sleep well at night. If that was the cause then did he take the safety off with the barrel pointed at himself????? If that was the cause the gun was in someone elses hands period. Sorry but I cant dream up any senerio where id have a loaded gun in camp aimed at my head or chest while I exercised the safety! So yes I would have to call bs on this. I cant imagine an educated judge looking at this and buying it. Unless the judge was some ultra liberal gun hating person that would love to take down a gun maker. Personaly I have to wonder why this didn't make the liberal national news or wasn't a headline on msn's home page. Sorry but it smells like a fish left in the trunk for a week.
r

I never said it was on a table or how it happened, I don't know the details. What did happen an unexpected discharge killed him. Do you really think Remington spent millions of dollars fixing 700s for no reason. There was a tv special on the Rem 700 for this very reason, I think that prompted the recall. If you have heard of this happening for years why wouldn't you think there might be something to it? You should get a tv they have color now.

mike
post #26 of 52 (permalink) Old 04-23-2019, 09:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike$ View Post
r

I never said it was on a table or how it happened, I don't know the details. What did happen an unexpected discharge killed him. Do you really think Remington spent millions of dollars fixing 700s for no reason. There was a tv special on the Rem 700 for this very reason, I think that prompted the recall. If you have heard of this happening for years why wouldn't you think there might be something to it? You should get a tv they have color now.

mike
Guns don't "just go off", I don't care what brand it is... There's more to THAT story...

You say you don't know the details, so until you do you can't say "the gun just went off" and expect everyone to believe it's true!

Lloyd makes a good point, WHY was it pointing at ANYONE, loaded or not???

BTW, that "story" on TV about 700's, was an anti gun hit piece! It was another try to get people to hate guns and make them look bad.

DM

Lincolns legacy is, he freed the slaves

Obama's legacy will be, he freed the terrorist!

Last edited by Drilling Man; 04-23-2019 at 10:02 AM.
post #27 of 52 (permalink) Old 04-23-2019, 12:52 PM

[QUOTE=Drilling Man;2055881246]Guns don't "just go off", I don't care what brand it is... There's more to THAT story...

You say you don't know the details, so until you do you can't say "the gun just went off" and expect everyone to believe it's true!

BTW, that "story" on TV about 700's, was an anti gun hit piece! It was another try to get people to hate guns and make them look bad.

Of course guns don't just go off, but they aren't supposed to go off without pulling the trigger . It obviously went off when it wasn't supposed to. I'm amazed at you guys, by Lloyds own admission he has heard of this happening for years, somebody thought it was serious enough to have a special tv piece which apparently was not libelous, and Remington issues a multimillion dollar recall to correct the problem. You guys are saying "couldn't be the gun mine never did that". And if you are saying you have never seen somebody point a loaded gun at somebody accidentally that really is bs that happens all of the time but it is not done on purpose.

mike
post #28 of 52 (permalink) Old 04-23-2019, 01:26 PM

Send a message via MSN to tdoyka

seven of them are "plastic junk" rifles. the cz 557 is the only one with with wood. it should say, "7 junk rifles = 1 wood rifle".

Never captured, never tamed
Wild horses on the plains
You can call me lost, I call it freedom
I feel a spirit in my soul
It's something Lord I can't control
I'm never giving up while I'm still breathing
I'm not home
I'm not lost
Still holding on to what I got
Ain't much left
Though there's so much that's been stolen
Guess I've lost everything I've had
I'm not dead, at least not yet
Still alone, still alive, still unbroken
I'm still alone, still alive, I'm still unbroken
post #29 of 52 (permalink) Old 04-23-2019, 01:44 PM

[quote=mike$;2055881316]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drilling Man View Post
Guns don't "just go off", I don't care what brand it is... There's more to THAT story...

Of course guns don't just go off, but they aren't supposed to go off without pulling the trigger . It obviously went off when it wasn't supposed to. I'm amazed at you guys, by Lloyds own admission he has heard of this happening for years, somebody thought it was serious enough to have a special tv piece which apparently was not libelous, and Remington issues a multimillion dollar recall to correct the problem. You guys are saying "couldn't be the gun mine never did that". And if you are saying you have never seen somebody point a loaded gun at somebody accidentally that really is bs that happens all of the time but it is not done on purpose.

mike
I do have a correction to make, I just googled the recall and it was for the triggers not the safeties as I has said. I just looked at the two that I sent back to Remington and there is a tiny dimple just ahead of the trigger if it has been fixed. For all of the doubters please google the recall and class action lawsuit for details. Remington issued a warning that the guns could accidentally fire and recommended that they not be used. It included more models than the model 700 too. I would swear that I had heard of safety related accidental firing. So, Remington Recall and Class Action Settlement good until sometime in 2020 just might indicate there was a problem.

mike
post #30 of 52 (permalink) Old 04-23-2019, 01:46 PM

I now own three Rem 700s, two .308 (one hunter. one "tactical"), and a 300 Blackout. One of the three was sent out on the recall but I can't tell the difference and never had any issues. I do miss my Win 70 in .270, that thing was a tack driver as is my current Weatherby Vanguard in .270. Most of these articles, IMO, are nothing more than sales ads, for rifles/guns, that have little to no track record. How can a rifle be "top/best" when only certain sports writers and a few well known celebs have used it? I think I will stick with my old rifles.

"Freedom is the sure possession of those alone who have the courage to defend it."
~Pericles~

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Graybeard Outdoors forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page