8 Top Bolt-Action Rifles For Hunting And More - Page 4 - Graybeard Outdoors

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #31 of 52 (permalink) Old 04-23-2019, 02:35 PM

Well I have sold most of my old hunting rifles or given them to the kids. Kept 2 drilling’s my krieghof and a T & S nimrod. Along with a few marlin levers. And a couple of CZ rimfires. And about a half dozen AKs. Guess I’ll muddle through my remaining years with those.

Did I say I never liked bolt guns very much. Especially cheep ones and Remingtons. Now a older Remington 760 pump in 300 savage could interest me. But not a bolt.

Byron

Christian by choice, American by the grace of God.

NRA LIFE, Trump for 2020
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 52 (permalink) Old 04-23-2019, 03:21 PM

Location: 3 miles NW of Brownells retail store and they keep me broke!
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by pastorp View Post
Well I have sold most of my old hunting rifles or given them to the kids. Kept 2 drilling’s my krieghof and a T & S nimrod. Along with a few marlin levers. And a couple of CZ rimfires. And about a half dozen AKs. Guess I’ll muddle through my remaining years with those.

Did I say I never liked bolt guns very much. Especially cheep ones and Remingtons. Now a older Remington 760 pump in 300 savage could interest me. But not a bolt.
I always had a soft spot for the older Remington pump guns as well! I always thought about reboring one to 358 Winchester or 338-06. However we all know how much farther ahead we'd all be dollar wise if we'd just quit fooling with gun notions. So far that dollars wise notion hasn't soaked in for me and I just keep dabbling!
post #33 of 52 (permalink) Old 04-23-2019, 08:06 PM

[quote=mike$;2055881316]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drilling Man View Post
Guns don't "just go off", I don't care what brand it is... There's more to THAT story...
You say you don't know the details, so until you do you can't say "the gun just went off" and expect everyone to believe it's true!
Lloyd makes a good point, WHY was it pointing at ANYONE, loaded or not???

BTW, that "story" on TV about 700's, was an anti gun hit piece! It was another try to get people to hate guns and make them look bad.

Of course guns don't just go off, but they aren't supposed to go off without pulling the trigger . It obviously went off when it wasn't supposed to. I'm amazed at you guys, by Lloyds own admission he has heard of this happening for years, somebody thought it was serious enough to have a special tv piece which apparently was not libelous, and Remington issues a multimillion dollar recall to correct the problem. You guys are saying "couldn't be the gun mine never did that". And if you are saying you have never seen somebody point a loaded gun at somebody accidentally that really is bs that happens all of the time but it is not done on purpose.
mike
I've seen a few 700 triggers have a problem, ALL of them were either monkeyed with or filthy dirty... AND that's after years and years of selling 700's and owning something around 50 of them, probably more...

IF "you" want to blame the trigger instead of the owner, I'm OK with that, just don't expect everyone else to believe it too!! Nor does it make it true!

DM

Lincolns legacy is, he freed the slaves

Obama's legacy will be, he freed the terrorist!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #34 of 52 (permalink) Old 04-23-2019, 08:28 PM

[quote=Drilling Man;2055881508]
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike$ View Post
I've seen a few 700 triggers have a problem, ALL of them were either monkeyed with or filthy dirty... AND that's after years and years of selling 700's and owning something around 50 of them, probably more...

IF "you" want to blame the trigger instead of the owner, I'm OK with that, just don't expect everyone else to believe it too!! Nor does it make it true!

DM
Its nothing to me if nobody believes it, but I know the father in law of the victim who told me about the accident and I believe him. Probably Remington spent millions recalling rifles and more millions settling a class action suit for no reason. I'm sure you know more than they do.

mike
post #35 of 52 (permalink) Old 04-25-2019, 08:23 AM

you say you don't even know the details but want to jump on the bandwagon blaming Remington. Your first sentence said everything about your opinion that takes the validity of it and tosses it in the trash. There should NEVER BE A SINGLE ACCIDENTAL DISCHARGE THAT EVEN PUTS A SCRATCH ON SOMEONE. For it to happen you have to be pointing a loaded gun at someone. Like is said too there are NO cases ive seen where a Remington went off all on its own. Most cases were while working the action. Rack your bolt with me standing in front of you and see what happens. Plain and simple Remington got a bad rap for this. Some guns did it no doubt. But it seems about everyone of them could be traced to someone that thought they knew how to get a 2lb trigger with one or shot there gun for 30 years and never once cleaned the trigger. Heck id bet a good many of those cases that 30 year old gun never had the stock taken off. shot deer season put away dirty in a closet till next year.

I can tell you without a doubt I can take a Winchester trigger and make it just as dangerous, I can take a weatherby, a timney ANY trigger and make it dangerous. Like drilling man said most of this was just part of a liberal anti gun propaganda display. Im sure not calling you a lier. If you would have been there and actually saw that gun go off and kills someone id listen. but something smells fishy. Someone made a big mistake and found out its easy to push the blame on to the gun manufacture.

To me its like suiting chev because you ran into a telephone pole when you knew dammed well if you aimed your truck at that pole you would hit it and get killed. Is it chevys fault that that truck didn't keep you from being stupid. Im sure old liberal ralph nator would convince someone it was. Just like the liberal anti gun people convince people that don't know better this was Remington's fault. Do you have a clue how many 700s have been sold that there has been absolute no problems with. Would our military trust a rifle to its navy seals, army and marine snipers that could go off all by it self.

Its no different then the idiots that same Glocks are dangerous because they go off when you pull the trigger. DA! I allways pull the trigger a few times on my 1911s before it flip the safety off I own quite a few glocks and other pistols without safetys. Most of them have such a terrible trigger that its tough to keep them on target while your pulling the trigger. But some idiot poorly trained barnie fife from [email protected]@@ California gets out of his car and draws his gun with his finger on the trigger and jerks it hard enough for it to go off and a safety is going to fix that stupid Same mentality is why every gun is stamped on the barrel that you must read the manual or you new car has stickers all over the sun visors warning you of the dangers you could encounter, the best laugh is a pack of cigarettes has to have a warning that there no good for you. America has gotten real stupid!! By the way sitting to close to that color tv can cause cancer! Maybe you should go back to black and white.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike$ View Post
r

I never said it was on a table or how it happened, I don't know the details. What did happen an unexpected discharge killed him. Do you really think Remington spent millions of dollars fixing 700s for no reason. There was a tv special on the Rem 700 for this very reason, I think that prompted the recall. If you have heard of this happening for years why wouldn't you think there might be something to it? You should get a tv they have color now.

mike

MAKE AMERICA GREAT AGAIN! STEEL FOR TANKS NOT FENCES!!!

Last edited by lloyd smale; 04-25-2019 at 08:29 AM.
post #36 of 52 (permalink) Old 04-25-2019, 09:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lloyd smale View Post
you say you don't even know the details but want to jump on the bandwagon blaming Remington. Your first sentence said everything about your opinion that takes the validity of it and tosses it in the trash. There should NEVER BE A SINGLE ACCIDENTAL DISCHARGE THAT EVEN PUTS A SCRATCH ON SOMEONE. For it to happen you have to be pointing a loaded gun at someone. Like is said too there are NO cases ive seen where a Remington went off all on its own. Most cases were while working the action. Rack your bolt with me standing in front of you and see what happens. Plain and simple Remington got a bad rap for this. Some guns did it no doubt. But it seems about everyone of them could be traced to someone that thought they knew how to get a 2lb trigger with one or shot there gun for 30 years and never once cleaned the trigger. Heck id bet a good many of those cases that 30 year old gun never had the stock taken off. shot deer season put away dirty in a closet till next year.

I can tell you without a doubt I can take a Winchester trigger and make it just as dangerous, I can take a weatherby, a timney ANY trigger and make it dangerous. Like drilling man said most of this was just part of a liberal anti gun propaganda display. Im sure not calling you a lier. If you would have been there and actually saw that gun go off and kills someone id listen. but something smells fishy. Someone made a big mistake and found out its easy to push the blame on to the gun manufacture.

To me its like suiting chev because you ran into a telephone pole when you knew dammed well if you aimed your truck at that pole you would hit it and get killed. Is it chevys fault that that truck didn't keep you from being stupid. Im sure old liberal ralph nator would convince someone it was. Just like the liberal anti gun people convince people that don't know better this was Remington's fault. Do you have a clue how many 700s have been sold that there has been absolute no problems with. Would our military trust a rifle to its navy seals, army and marine snipers that could go off all by it self.

Its no different then the idiots that same Glocks are dangerous because they go off when you pull the trigger. DA! I allways pull the trigger a few times on my 1911s before it flip the safety off I own quite a few glocks and other pistols without safetys. Most of them have such a terrible trigger that its tough to keep them on target while your pulling the trigger. But some idiot poorly trained barnie fife from [email protected]@@ California gets out of his car and draws his gun with his finger on the trigger and jerks it hard enough for it to go off and a safety is going to fix that stupid Same mentality is why every gun is stamped on the barrel that you must read the manual or you new car has stickers all over the sun visors warning you of the dangers you could encounter, the best laugh is a pack of cigarettes has to have a warning that there no good for you. America has gotten real stupid!! By the way sitting to close to that color tv can cause cancer! Maybe you should go back to black and white.
Don't you have trouble buying pants with your mouth hinged at your a$$? You have done Remington a terrible disserves and its your fault they had to go through all of this trouble. Remington was under the impression that some of their firearms could discharge accidently without pulling the trigger. They issued a public warning that this could happen and recommended that model 700 rifles not be used until checked. They somehow got that impression from the 24 deaths and 100 injuries due to that condition and the many many reports of that condition that did not cause death or injury. YOU NEVER WENT TO REMINGTON AND TOLD THEM NOT TO WORRY BECAUSE THAT COULD NOT HAPPEN WITH THEIR GUNS AND IF IT DID THE VICTIMS DESERVED IT DUE TO POOR GUN HANDLING. Consequently Remington went on to spend millions on a recall and class action lawsuit settlement. If you had shared your infinite wisdom with Remington it would have saved them millions. As far as the deaths and injuries, maybe they will learn the next time. Why don't you google the recall and class action lawsuit to see what actually happened.

mike
post #37 of 52 (permalink) Old 04-25-2019, 10:47 AM Thread Starter
Administrator

Gun Cabinet

Mike, you really do not know what you are talking about in the discussion.

The triggers were never defective, they worked as designed and to perfection. The issue was IDIOTS who insisted on adjusting them on their own and didn't know how to do it. If Remington had any blame it was in providing to us a superbly adjustable trigger.

In their favor they did tell ya NOT to adjust it to take it to a professional gunsmith if adjustment was desired. The trigger had three adjustment screws. One for over travel, one for sear engagement and one for pull weight.

I never saw a need to adjust the first so never did. The latter for pull weight is the only screw I have ever adjusted on one or felt a need to adjust on one. If folks would have just accepted that and reapplied a sealant after adjustment all would have been well.

But oh no, shade tree gunsmiths think they know all so had to adjust the sear to the point there just wasn't adequate engagement and yes that did in fact make it a dangerous trigger. That and ONLY THAT is what led to the entire lawsuit and court settlement.

However if folks even with the dangerously adjusted triggers had followed commonly accepted safety practices of always unloading the gun when done using it. Always keeping the muzzle pointed in a safe direction and never ever point the barrel at anything you aren't willing to shoot them all would still have been just fine.

But the reality of our modern lawsuit happy culture is if ya got money someone is gonna find a reason to sue you for it.

The Walker trigger is the best trigger Remington has ever made and really one of the best any rifle maker ever made. That some idiots misused it and then mishandled the guns and shot someone was NOT Remington's fault. Sadly tho the courts felt otherwise and it cost Remington huge sums of money and cost us shooters about the best trigger ever put on a rifle. Such is life in modern American, home of litigation over the stupidity of consumers.

Now let it rest.

Bill aka the Graybeard

I am not a lawyer and do not give legal advice.

JESUS is the way, the truth, and the life anyone who believes in Him will have everlasting life!
post #38 of 52 (permalink) Old 04-25-2019, 11:23 AM
dcw

Thumbs up i have a rem 700 BDL

that i will not part with...

lead, follow, or get out of the way!
post #39 of 52 (permalink) Old 04-25-2019, 11:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcw View Post
that i will not part with...
I have 3 of them I won't part with

mike
post #40 of 52 (permalink) Old 04-26-2019, 06:41 AM

well said bill. especially for someone whos ___ apparently is hinged like mine

MAKE AMERICA GREAT AGAIN! STEEL FOR TANKS NOT FENCES!!!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Graybeard Outdoors forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page