my favorite rifle - Page 6 - Graybeard Outdoors

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #51 of 56 (permalink) Old 05-23-2019, 09:36 PM

I also vote for the 700 Classic. Had one of the very first, when they were offered in several calibers each year. Mine was a 30-06. After about 20 years, I blueprinted it and changed it to a 280AI. Had a match barrel and a McMillan stock, and was so heavy I sold it. Should have left it alone.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #52 of 56 (permalink) Old 05-24-2019, 11:14 AM

I used my nephews Remington model seven in 7mm08 on one hunt a few years back. Light and accurate and low recoil , my three requisites for a favorite rifle .
post #53 of 56 (permalink) Old 05-24-2019, 11:50 AM

Location: 3 miles NW of Brownells retail store and they keep me broke!

Quote:
Originally Posted by lloyd smale View Post
one of the most overlooked and under appreciated guns ever. Even the first gen of the push feeds that looked cheesy shot fantastic. Ive yet to own a push feed Winchester that wasn't accurate. They used to about give them away used. I wish I would have snatched up a few more of them.
For a while in the 1964-65 era Winchester(Us Repeating Arms) could not keep up with the orders. They offered a push feed 243 that came with along action. I stumbled onto one of them in the late 70's and had it rechambered to 6mm-06. That was a dandy fine coyote killer. I parted ways with at about child number 3 in favor of keeping my all time favorite red pad tang safety Ruger 77 in 243. I'd let them bury me with that gun but I know what's going to happen to this old sack of bones laying in that hole in the ground and can't bare to think of that rifle getting some rotten "me" on it!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #54 of 56 (permalink) Old 06-13-2019, 08:23 PM

gpa: No, have them bury you with it, you'll feel much better about taking it with you.... Just have them, or someone pack it in cosmoline, a light coating so as not to be any real problem cleaning it out later, place it in a nice scabbard on top of you or wherever ya won't leak out on it. You can even separate the two of you with a sheet of plastic or even a buckskin. It will look nice. Then later on when you feel like it you can always clean it up and play with it. There ya go, Bob's yer Uncle and problem solved.... Just sayin'.
post #55 of 56 (permalink) Old 06-13-2019, 10:10 PM

Mine would be an old Ithica Model 72 Saddlegun 22LR which was made in Germany. Frankly it's a tack driver.

Same design as the Henry H001 but I don't know how they compare.
post #56 of 56 (permalink) Old 06-14-2019, 01:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flagman1776 View Post
Mine would be an old Ithica Model 72 Saddlegun 22LR which was made in Germany. Frankly it's a tack driver.

Same design as the Henry H001 but I don't know how they compare.
I had an Ithaca lever 22 mag single shot, back at that time, which actually was a falling block. Those Ithacas were nice .22s

I believe they were made by Erma Werke in Germany.

INSIDE EVERY PROGRESSIVE IS A TOTALITARIAN, SCREAMING TO GET OUT. (David Horowitz)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Graybeard Outdoors forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page