Good deal? - Graybeard Outdoors

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-13-2018, 10:02 PM Thread Starter

Default Good deal?

The local Sportsman's Warehouse has been running this package: https://www.sportsmanswarehouse.com/...7219/cat100738. Does anyone know about these models and would you consider a good deal? I was budgeting around $399 for a new Leupold VX-3i 2-8X36 for my Rem 760 but the price here looks enticing. I know it can't be top tier but I don't generally need that for my deer hunting in the Sierras.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-13-2018, 11:36 PM
Administrator

Gun Cabinet

Just get a Leupold 2-7. I have several of the 2.5-8 Leupold scopes and also of the Leupold 2-7. Of the two I prefer the 2-7 for hunting in woods like I assume you hunt in with the 760. Almost same power range and wider FOV with the 2-7. It's all the scope you'll ever need and will save you a bunch of money.

Bill aka the Graybeard

https://www.gboreloaded.com/forums

I am not a lawyer and do not give legal advice.

JESUS is the way, the truth, and the life anyone who believes in Him will have everlasting life!
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-14-2018, 08:51 AM

That is a good deal. I must have parallax adjustment for any rifle that can shoot beyond 200 yards accurately.

Although I think you missed the boat, offer ended April 31st...

Buckskin

"I have tried to live my life so that my family would love me and my friends respect me. The others can do whatever the h-ell they please. --John Wayne
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-14-2018, 08:57 AM

I've got a handful of Burris scopes at this point. One 5ish year old Fullfield II 3-9x, and 2 of the newer E1's in 3-9x.

They all hold zero and have good light transmission to the end of 30min shooting light, but not much past. Compared to my Leupold VX-2 and VX-3, the "fishbowl" effect is much stronger on the Burris.

The E1 has a floating reticle, the crosshairs don't extend to the edges of the field of view. This is fine for targets and hunting in good light, but in the first/last few minutes I think it could be more difficult.

The Fullfield II has a normal reticle that is on the heavier side. The complete eyepiece end of the scope turns for the magnification, which makes flipup scope caps more difficult to use.

End of the day, they're good, fine scopes that I trust on a hunt. But I'm probably going to buy Leupold next time I need one.

Terry
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-14-2018, 09:16 AM

For what it's worth, my go to optics these days are Vortex. imo, you can't beat there price point, quality and warranty...

Buckskin

"I have tried to live my life so that my family would love me and my friends respect me. The others can do whatever the h-ell they please. --John Wayne
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-14-2018, 05:15 PM Thread Starter

Buckskin is right, I missed the April deadline. Don't know why Sportsman's still got the offer online. Well thanks anyhow everyone.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-15-2018, 08:52 PM

Don't overlook the older Leupold 1X4 or the 1.75X5 scopes. I have had a 1X4 on a 742 for 30 years. I rarely hunt with it now because I can't walk far, but on a wet day in a piney woods, creeping down logging roads, it is a pleasure to use. On the lowest powers you can see the barrel in the scope, so it is like shooting a shotgun with both eyes open.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-10-2018, 12:58 AM Thread Starter

Wound up buying a Leupold VX-3i 3.5-10X40mm on sale for $319.99. Looks good on the 760, still have to make it to the range.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-22-2019, 05:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckskin View Post
For what it's worth, my go to optics these days are Vortex. imo, you can't beat there price point, quality and warranty...
Warranty, yes. Negatory on quality as to Crossfire and Diamondback, in my view. Pretty junky. Have seen a lot of problems / returns.

Razor good. Viper so-so.

Currently reloading: .30-'06, .280 Rem, 6.5x55, .260 Rem, .35 Rem, .357 Max (subsonic handgun), .357 Max (supersonic handgun), .357 Mag (supersonic rifle), .243 Win, 5.56x45 (subsonic rifle), .45 Colt, 10mm, 9x19 (& .50 Cal ML)

Currently shooting but not reloading: .458 Win mag, .375 HH Mag, 5.56x45 (supersonic), .223 Rem, .17 HMR, .22 mag, .22lr, 12 ga, 20 ga, manual bows, vertical X-bows

Used to reload: 6.5-'06, .218 Bee, .45-70 Gov't, .270 Win, .22 Reed Express (& .45 Cal ML)

Last edited by Jussie Mangum Brawley; 04-22-2019 at 05:27 PM.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Graybeard Outdoors forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page