Boyds stock experience... - Page 2 - Graybeard Outdoors

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-24-2019, 10:51 AM

I just purchased my third Boyd's laminate stock. Of the three only one was a drop in fit. It required very little work on the other two for fitting. No matter as I remove enough wood to glass bed the actions. As they come in the box I find they are too hefty but I like that. They are certainly easier to turn into what you want than a blank or a rough shape with a groove routed down the middle.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-23-2019, 06:35 PM Thread Starter

Well I got this stock some months back.

I mounted the action. It fit pretty well. I only had to relieve a few points and then a lil more and deeper to make room for beding compound.

The barrel was not perfectly centered.

I pillar bedded first. When I did I also did the electric tape barrel trick to keep barrel centered.

I allowed this to completely harden for a couple weeks. Shot it and was pleased. THEN I went in a bedded the back of the tang and the back of the recoil lugg area.

Let that harden for about a week and shot it again. I was still pleased.

I pulled it out of the safe last week to show a friend... the barrel was pressing HARD on one side of the fore stock!!!

GRRRR. WTF?!?!?!

The wood has WARPED!!! The barrel channel is sealed as it came from factory. Everything I relieved was re covered with epoxy. The rifle is stored in a Safe with a new golden rod and its in a climate controlled home.

Not real happy and not sure what I will do.

CW

"Pay heed to the man who carries a single shot rifle, he likely knows how to use it."

NRA LIFE Member

I PROUDLY SUPPORT OUR TROOPS!

GOD BLESS AMERICA

Remember... Four boxes keep us free: the soap box, the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box. and the THE PEOPLE HAVE SPOKEN!
post #13 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-24-2019, 10:16 AM

Must a ben Boydís fault. Yeah Iím sure thatís it. 😂🤣

Byron

Christian by choice, American by the grace of God.

NRA LIFE, Trump for 2020
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-25-2019, 05:33 AM

I have had two on Savage rifles and I have one on a Rem. CDL. They all were drop ins and just for a test I shot groups with the CDL before and after I got the stock bedded. As usual the groups were of a smaller group size average after the bedding was done but the "Factory Boyd's Stock" was shooting less than a MOA groups right from the get go.

George
post #15 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-25-2019, 06:11 PM

Woow! That's a tough one to figure CW. Never would have thought that would have happened to a laminate? You gotta let Boyd's know about this one and please fill us in on the results.

Jim
post #16 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-25-2019, 06:44 PM

I don't know if any wood stock manufacturer would warranty their wood from changes due to drying, swelling or warping or whatever.

I had a wood stock swell and grow mold after hunting in the rain. I took it off the rifle, dried it out over several weeks then sanded and refinished with a good tung/linseed oil. Never had that problem again.

All of my favorite creatures have white bottoms.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Graybeard Outdoors forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page