Boyds stock experience... - Page 3 - Graybeard Outdoors

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #21 of 29 (permalink) Old 09-02-2019, 01:07 PM

Sounds great.

Say Iíve got a question for you. I have a Ruger stainless new bearcat and a new sp101 8shot both 22 Lr. Do you know if these both could be rechambered to 22mag?

Byron

Christian by choice, American by the grace of God.

NRA LIFE, Trump for 2020
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 29 (permalink) Old 09-02-2019, 04:27 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by pastorp View Post
Sounds great.

Say I’ve got a question for you. I have a Ruger stainless new bearcat and a new sp101 8shot both 22 Lr. Do you know if these both could be rechambered to 22mag?
I would say thats likely under the digression of the smith you choose.

I have not seen it done. The couple smiths I have spoken to would not rechamber a Bearcat.

CW

"Pay heed to the man who carries a single shot rifle, he likely knows how to use it."

NRA LIFE Member

I PROUDLY SUPPORT OUR TROOPS!

GOD BLESS AMERICA

Remember... Four boxes keep us free: the soap box, the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box. and the THE PEOPLE HAVE SPOKEN!
post #23 of 29 (permalink) Old 09-02-2019, 04:28 PM Thread Starter

"Pay heed to the man who carries a single shot rifle, he likely knows how to use it."

NRA LIFE Member

GOD BLESS AMERICA

Remember... Four boxes keep us free: the soap box, the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box. and the THE PEOPLE HAVE SPOKEN!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #24 of 29 (permalink) Old 09-02-2019, 08:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwlongshot View Post
I would say thats likely under the digression of the smith you choose.

I have not seen it done. The couple smiths I have spoken to would not rechamber a Bearcat.

CW
I’m questioning the length of the cylendar myself. Looks like it will be very close. And on the 8 shot 101 I’m not sure there is enough room for the cartridge rims in the space. Well I’m going to call Allen and ask him. He did a bearcat for a friend.

And I have a older 6 shot SP101 that would be ideal to rechamber. But it shoots so good with the Lr rounds I hate to mess with it.

The stock looks good now. It must a really been clubby before you took off all the excess wood. Looks like a nice job you did on it.

Byron

Christian by choice, American by the grace of God.

NRA LIFE, Trump for 2020

Last edited by pastorp; 09-02-2019 at 08:35 PM.
post #25 of 29 (permalink) Old 09-03-2019, 07:54 AM Thread Starter

Thank you! It was quite a pile of shavings and sawdust! It was over the toe of my boots sittin there workin it!

My small plane did the lions share on the forestock. Most all the grip area work was files and paper. As hard as this wood was to file is as easy as it was to sand! Usually Ill start with 80/100 then 150,180 & 220. Then on to steel wool. As I was painting I didnt bother with the wool. But all i had to use to sand was 150 & 220 and I used the 220 three times wetting inbetween. It was very very smooth.

First coat was regular as it soaked in almost as fast as I sprayed it. This was. VERY SURPRISING as its laminated and supposedly created under intense pressure with the epoxy glue. This should have filled the pores of the wood enough it shouldn't soak up much of anything.... Anyhow, I followed it with two more light coats then the stone texture coat followed with two Forest Green coats.

I coated the insides twice yesterday and it was dry this am so I re assembled.

CW

NRA LIFE Member

GOD BLESS AMERICA

post #26 of 29 (permalink) Old 09-15-2019, 09:44 PM Thread Starter

Shot it again today. Its such a good consistant shooter!! Four diff loads all went moa or better.

REAL HAPPY!

CW

NRA LIFE Member

GOD BLESS AMERICA

post #27 of 29 (permalink) Old 09-16-2019, 01:47 PM

I've steered away from Boyd's because of what I have heard, but have bought several through Stocky's and all have been excellent. I have 3 with the Accublock system and all improved the accuracy of the gun. One 7mm-08 was giving me fits trying to find a load for it that could effectively kill a deer at 100 yards... The new stock brought it to less than MOA just by bolting it on. Now, obviously there were issues with the original...

Buckskin

"I have tried to live my life so that my family would love me and my friends respect me. The others can do whatever the h-ell they please. --John Wayne
post #28 of 29 (permalink) Old 09-16-2019, 05:45 PM Thread Starter

Ill Look to them next time Im needing a stock. Thanks

Cw

NRA LIFE Member

GOD BLESS AMERICA

post #29 of 29 (permalink) Old 09-20-2019, 09:33 AM

Nice work on that stock, CW.

My experience; bought a “walnut” stock with laser checkering. I was (and still am) pleased. The fit is good, with no work required. It had no flaws. The laser checkering doesn't hold a candle to real checkering. But I expected that. The price was right, and delivery was quick. The grain is straight and very plain. But again, I expected that. The barrel is a little bit off center in the channel but not too bad. All in all, no problems.

Recently I got a little chip in the finish, one of those dings that seem to always happen when you have a “using” gun. It knocked a chip out of the finish, not just a dent. About the size of a pin head. The wood is white, very white...sheet of paper white.

Hmm...”walnut?”

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Graybeard Outdoors forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page