Boyds stock experience... - Graybeard Outdoors

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 29 (permalink) Old 01-22-2019, 09:24 AM Thread Starter

Lightbulb Boyds stock experience...

Hello Gents,

I have a Howa MINI in 6.5 and have wanted to re stock it form the HOGUE over molded flex machine...

Read SO MANY problems (8+ across the web) with these stocks in this model. I seem to have waded thru and discovered the problems stem from the budget painted base stock.

But 6 different reads on guys buying the laminated versions have had zero issues.

I have bought BOYDS stocks four before and experienced ZERO problems. But all where rim fires (Three 10/22 and one Marlin stock.)

Yesterday, I dropped the hammer on a Pro Varmint Laminated, W/Adj Comb for the little G. I also ordered a pillar bed "kit" and plan on glass bedding as well.

Wondering your experiences and opinions.

CW

"Pay heed to the man who carries a single shot rifle, he likely knows how to use it."

NRA LIFE Member

I PROUDLY SUPPORT OUR TROOPS!

GOD BLESS AMERICA

Remember... Four boxes keep us free: the soap box, the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box. and the THE PEOPLE HAVE SPOKEN!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 29 (permalink) Old 01-22-2019, 10:06 AM

Gun Cabinet

I have had good luck with Boyds but only bought one for a Marlin bolt action It was the Prairie Hunter not laminated perfect drop in having said that if you read the feed back on the web you would have to wonder why anyone would buy one I really think those may be from people who should not even own a gun. I know they have had a big price jump when I bought mine I paid 107 shipped now they are near 180.00.

Deaconllb

U S Air Force Korean vet. NRA Member
Fourth fighter wing Kimpo Korea 1952 Fourth but first, the mig killers.
533rd material ,air defence Oxnard AFB 1953-1955
Pastor of the CBCG-Fellowship group Tulsa Oklahoma.
post #3 of 29 (permalink) Old 01-22-2019, 10:28 AM

I have zero experience with Boyd's, but they sure have cut way back on the number of guns they make stocks for. Nowhere near the variety there used to be it appears.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 29 (permalink) Old 01-22-2019, 10:29 AM

I've probably restocked over a dozen guns with Boyd's stocks with not a single problem, everyone was a drop in and performed flawlessly.
post #5 of 29 (permalink) Old 01-22-2019, 10:30 AM

CW,

I have one, for a Rem 700. Inletting for the action, barrel channel, and bottom metal were all good to me. Mostly on the larger/universal fit side, but I did also grind a small amount out the action/trigger area before bedding with MarineTex to allow for a bit thicker bedding fill.

I went all out getting the prairie hunter just the way I wanted - grey laminate, custom LOP, laser checkering, etc. I've been very happy with it.

Terry
post #6 of 29 (permalink) Old 01-22-2019, 03:33 PM Thread Starter

thanks guys!

From my reading the problems are limited to just a few actions. NOT across the board problems. Unfortunately the Howa MINI was one with issues...

DeaconLLB,
I read that loud and clear... Isnt it ALWAYS the products issue & not the infallibility of the user. Gotta read "between" the lines a bit deciphering some folks "issues".

CW

"Pay heed to the man who carries a single shot rifle, he likely knows how to use it."

NRA LIFE Member

GOD BLESS AMERICA

Remember... Four boxes keep us free: the soap box, the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box. and the THE PEOPLE HAVE SPOKEN!
post #7 of 29 (permalink) Old 01-22-2019, 04:29 PM

Boyd's is good to stand behind their product. If you aren't happy then return it and they will refund your money. I tried one last year for a TC Compass and it was ok except the mag well was way too large to hold the detachable magazine securely. I sent it back as defective and they replied it was within their specifications. I told them to keep it, refund my money and let me know when they figure out how to build one to factory specifications. Took a few weeks but the funds did appear on my card.

My advice is to check the fit carefully and return if not correct. I believe giving a manufacturer feedback makes the product better over time.

All of my favorite creatures have white bottoms.
post #8 of 29 (permalink) Old 01-22-2019, 11:57 PM

I have only bought one for a sportered mosin, the front action hole was drilled wrong, but boyds made it right. My buddy has bought 2 for mauser spotters and was very pleased.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk
post #9 of 29 (permalink) Old 01-23-2019, 07:48 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lt. Dave View Post
Boyd's is good to stand behind their product. If you aren't happy then return it and they will refund your money. I tried one last year for a TC Compass and it was ok except the mag well was way too large to hold the detachable magazine securely. I sent it back as defective and they replied it was within their specifications. I told them to keep it, refund my money and let me know when they figure out how to build one to factory specifications. Took a few weeks but the funds did appear on my card.

My advice is to check the fit carefully and return if not correct. I believe giving a manufacturer feedback makes the product better over time.
Internet contact story...A man I speak with frequently on the 6.5 Board had bought one last month... he mounted the action and shot it. After just a few rounds accuracy went and dropped off... He removed the action and found some what he called major "chip out" of the bedding. He contacted Boyds and they told him it was "Normal wear and tear" on a painted stock.

(lots of questions in there I know)

Now this is second hand and just a guy on the web... But he is a common poster and seems knowledgeable enough, I see no reason for him to lie. He has repaired and is back to shooting the gun in that stock, but is not happy about it.

http://www.65grendel.com/forum/showt...yd-s-howa-mini

CW

NRA LIFE Member

GOD BLESS AMERICA

post #10 of 29 (permalink) Old 01-23-2019, 11:11 AM

I put one on a custom FN Mauser when I had it rebarreled and I hated it. It was sticky feeling and too heavy. I would look for a better stock if I were you, such as Bell & Carlson.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Graybeard Outdoors forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page