Another 788 222 - Graybeard Outdoors

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-20-2019, 09:25 AM Thread Starter

Default Another 788 222

Inspired by Neckisred's Remington 788 222 thread.

I bought this 788 222 Remington in the late 1970's. It had a very plain stock, not walnut like Neckisred's appears to be. Mine also had a pretty glaring flaw in the factory finish. I tried to refinish it back then, and it wound up looking a lot worse. It was a very plain, white colored wood that would not take stain. Despite the fact that it looked terrible the thing was very accurate and I enjoyed shooting it. It accounted for many varmints.

Then, marriage, kids, career and stuff kind of ended my rifle shooting. When I did start shooting again other rifles were bought and got all the attention. The 788, while kept maintained all these years, never saw any action and occupied a space in the back of the safe.

Two years ago I got it out, took it apart and intended to do something about the stock. Truth be told, while I wanted to get the rifle looking good (it looked REALLY bad), I was not confident the effort would return satisfying results. And I did not want to simply paint it. Lacking inspiration I put away the metal parts and left the stock out, hoping an idea or new information would somehow get me motivated. Of course two yeas later, no progress had been made.

Then one day I checked Boyd's website and found they had this stock in the Rapid Fire section for 142 bucks. I jumped on it.

I did nothing but install the stock. No bedding or anything. With just a little load testing, it turned in a half-inch five shot group at 100 yards with Nosler 40 grain Varmageddons and Benchmark powder, at an average of 3,474 fps. I will work with it some more and if this accuracy is consistent, and as I recall this is representative of the way it shot back in the day, I'll get a scope for it that is more fitting of the rifle's mission instead of that big, oversize target scope in the picture.

You know, it feels good to again be shooting the first rifle I ever bought myself with my own money, one which went many places with me when I was a younger man...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	sstock.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	180.8 KB
ID:	228322  

Click image for larger version

Name:	s222rem.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	171.1 KB
ID:	228324  

Attached Images

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-20-2019, 10:33 AM

Beautiful rifle and a great story. I too have seen 788's with different shades of stain. Pretty sure mine is just a standard soft stock with darker stain. Hoping to try some handloads in mine tomorrow.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-20-2019, 03:20 PM

Nice story. I still kick myself for not buying a 788 when they were selling for a cheap price.

BTW - I've had good luck using leather dye on a couple of hardwood stocks that didn't want to take stain. Used the Fiebings (sp?) brand, and mixed a couple of colors to get the shade I wanted.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-21-2019, 09:06 PM

I have two 788's left, a .243 mom and me bought my dad waaaaaaay back when, that he gave back to me when he quit hunting in his "90's"...

The second is a .222 a buddy gave me, as he said he remembered that I always liked the .222 Remington cartridge, it looks nearly unfired.

They sure were a fantastic deal, back when they were sold new.

DM

Lincolns legacy is, he freed the slaves

Obama's legacy will be, he freed the terrorist!
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-23-2019, 11:19 AM Thread Starter

I had a friend who had one in .243. It was a carbine, short barrel. He used it to hunt whitetail deer. Nice gun, accurate but I seem to remember it was loud. Sad to say back then we shot without hearing protection.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-23-2019, 11:25 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by spruce View Post
Nice story. I still kick myself for not buying a 788 when they were selling for a cheap price.

BTW - I've had good luck using leather dye on a couple of hardwood stocks that didn't want to take stain. Used the Fiebings (sp?) brand, and mixed a couple of colors to get the shade I wanted.

Thanks for the tip about the dye. I had been thinking some sort of dye might be the answer.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-29-2019, 08:33 AM

AccelR8, check at Tandy Leather for fiebing leather dye. The reason the dye works so well is it is very thin and soaks in to the food very well. My closest Tandy store is about 80 miles but you can order on line, hope this help you some. Take care, John.

It's not what you do, but how you do what you do, that counts.
Just keep on keeping on!
NRA Life Member
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-01-2019, 11:43 PM Thread Starter

Thanks glockmeister, yeah I would have to order on line. May do so.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-02-2019, 01:54 AM

My first centerfire rifle was the Rem 788 in 222 Rem. I bought it somewhere around 1969 or 1970.

Unfortunately I sold it many years ago. Now my only Rem 788 is in 708 Rem with an old Weaver T-10 scope on it.

I may not be completely sane, but at least I don't think I have the power to influence the weather.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Graybeard Outdoors forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page