Savage 340B 222 - Graybeard Outdoors

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-05-2019, 11:05 AM Thread Starter

Default Savage 340B 222

I was in a Pawnshop Monday and I found a Savage 340B, it was in great shape and I got it for around $200 so I took it home. My question is how good is the gun, I already have a CZ527 in a 222 so I just thought that if wouldn't hurt to have 2, any info on the gun would be great, like what. Size of scope/ammo?

Sent from my SM-T827V using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-05-2019, 12:00 PM

Location: 3 miles NW of Brownells retail store and they keep me broke!

My dad took up fox hunting in the early 60's. His weapon of choice was a Savage 340 in 222. He shot lots of fox with that gun and today it hangs on the gun rack in my bedroom. I did a trigger job on dad's gun and it is now a shooter. 19 grains of IMR 4198 and a 50 grain Hornady SPT will go under an inch all day long. The weak link on the 340 is the extractor. I have never had an issue on dad's gun but I don't put undue pressure on it either. A 50 grain bullet at 3100 fps will anchor any varmint in need of anchoring and the 340 is up to the task.

I will never part with dad's gun and other than the trigger it is just as dad used it with a Weaver K6 scope mounted in the weaver number one side mount set up.

If you shoot factory loads or equivalent reloads it will last you a lifetime. If you push the envelope and try to load it hot you will be buying extractors and they are probably hard to find.

If you want to sell it...I will let you make $100 on it right now! That alone says something! Ha!

Side note* not all scopes will fit the number one mount without altering the mount. Scopes with a windage and elevation adjustment housing that completely circles the scope thus protruding on the bottom side of the scope will not work and that is many of them.
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-05-2019, 12:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by baitcaster2% View Post
I was in a Pawnshop Monday and I found a Savage 340B, it was in great shape and I got it for around $200 so I took it home. My question is how good is the gun, I already have a CZ527 in a 222 so I just thought that if wouldn't hurt to have 2, any info on the gun would be great, like what. Size of scope/ammo?

Sent from my SM-T827V using Tapatalk

I picked up the Springfield 840 a few weeks back (same gun Savage made) in 30-30 for the same price, $200 out the door. Like it a lot. Came with a scope mount and a Springfield (Savage) made in Japan 4x scope. Shot it last week and was just over an inch at 100 yards with my handloads on first time out. I think it will tighten up as I tweak the load. A really sweet shooting gun. I loaded the 130 grain speer flat nose with LVR powder. I wanted to use spitzer, but the magazine just isn't long enough to make it work out very well. I was getting 2700 fps with the LVR powder and zero signs of pressure. I also loaded some Hornady 150 RN to try, but didn't try them out yet.

I fired 5 rounds at our 500 yard 30" steel plate and hit it 5 out of 5 times using kentucky windage. That 130 speer really smacks that steel. My buddy could hear it hit with standard (non-electronic) ear muffs.

Rosewood

Go Donald Go!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-05-2019, 12:39 PM

Location: 3 miles NW of Brownells retail store and they keep me broke!

I always thought that if I could find one in 30-30 then I would send it to JES rifle reboring out in Oregon. I'd let him rebore it to 375 Winchester thus fitting the straight wall deer cartridge laws for Ioway. I have a 375 Winchester load using AA1680 that pushes a 200 Sierra pill to just a trifle over 2600 fps from a 20 inch barrel. In a bolt gun one could cave in a deer's rib cage from a good distance.

I have read articles on forums where the gun snobs poo poo the 340 and its offspring like the 840. Well that's ok as they would probably have a disdain for all of my blue collar guns. The truth is the 340 is a quality gun and they grow on you more as you kill game with them. They kill that game just as dead as a gun costing 10 times as much and there is the blued steel workmanship from an era that has done passed us by that intrigues me!
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-05-2019, 01:56 PM

I love the feel and size of it. Seems to balance well. I also was able to fit a set of williams fiber optic sights for a Marlin 60 on it. Once I get my loads developed where I want it, will take off the scope and use the irons on it.

I had the idea to convert one to a 7-30 waters, just because. Now as accurate as it has been in 30-30, I may just leave it as it sits.

Rosewood

Go Donald Go!!
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-05-2019, 02:16 PM

Gun Cabinet

I scoped up a Savage 340 last year for my nephew.
Receiver was tapped for mount already.
Mount was gotten from Numrich Arms.
Used a 3-9x32 scope as it was chambered in 30-30.
Side mount scope bracket doesn't afford the stability of top-of receiver mount and rings to me but the boy hits what he aims at.
Not benchrest quality but definitely hunt adequate.

Jimmy

Think twice, shoot once...
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-06-2019, 09:48 AM

Send a message via AIM to Zeak

I got a used 340b in 225win in mid 60s. The accuracy was good, but the action and trigger not that good, but it a cheap rifle to begin with. I think the sold new for around $100. Gave it to my Dad, but gave it back a few years later. Killed alot of deer with it, let the grandson use it on his first deer and it worked for him also. It a safe queen now
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-06-2019, 09:54 AM

Gun Cabinet

Several years ago I bought a 340 in 222 at auction. Like GPa’s dads rifle it was topped with a Weaver K6. It had been the groundhog rifle for a local farmer. It is a true MOA rifle and beautifully soft shooting. You did well at 200.

Seems that I need to look up the process for a trigger job on the rifle. It is decent now but a nice smooth trigger would make it even better.
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-06-2019, 10:19 AM

I've owned several Savage 30/30's over the years and my only complaint is appearance. I like graceful, flowing lines on my firearms and the 340 just seems lumpy, bumpy and awkward looking. If you prefer performance over appearance you can be happy with the 340 Savage.

The story of David & Goliath only demonstrates the superiority of ballistic projectiles over hand weapons, poor old Goliath never had a chance.
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-12-2019, 09:15 AM

Not a 340 but a 325 in 30/30. Sold to a neighbor like a week after getting it! His dad had one was his story.

I like the idea of a 375 Bolt gun Rod!!

I have a couple Marlins and shoot Hornadys 220g with a case full of RL7 to just over 2100fps. Its a pile driver on Whitetails!

I do have a 222 in a Savage tho. Mine is in a beautiful 24 and it is soldered over a 20g barrel making it as stiff as any heavy barreled bench rest gun. It also shoots like one!!! Even with open sites I could touch bullets @ 50 yards!! Now I have a 1-4 Leupold mounted. I broke its extractor last summer. Had a kid next door tig weld it back together then I spent a couple Hours with jewelers files re fitting it. I have t shot it since. But I doubt it would effect accuracy.

Im gonna file that idea away to be revisited at a later date. :[IMG class=inlineimg]/forums/images/smilies/smile.gif[/IMG]

CW

"Pay heed to the man who carries a single shot rifle, he likely knows how to use it."

NRA LIFE Member

I PROUDLY SUPPORT OUR TROOPS!

GOD BLESS AMERICA

Remember... Four boxes keep us free: the soap box, the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box. and the THE PEOPLE HAVE SPOKEN!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Graybeard Outdoors forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page