Showing some gun buying restraint. - Graybeard Outdoors

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-21-2020, 10:50 AM Thread Starter

Location: 3 miles NW of Brownells retail store and they keep me broke!
Default Showing some gun buying restraint.

Last night I wandered around Brownells while I was waiting for my order to come to the counter. There on the used gun rack was a like brand new Savage model 11 in 338 Federal for $275. I need that gun like I need another hole in my head but dang fellas, ya can't even buy a good pellet gun for $275.

I sure hope that thing is gone by the end of the day cuz I gotta run back out there after work today. I'm retiring and need to be cutting down on stuff not adding to the pile. Then they go and dangle something like that in front of my nose! Being a gun nut just ain't easy sometimes.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-21-2020, 11:23 AM

Gun Cabinet

Heck! I'd buy it for that price! And for 2 other reasons, I don't have a Savage M11 and I don't have a 338 Fed rifle.

I even started a discussion here questioning my need for a 338 Federal since I have a 338-06.

Even if the foregoing were not the case, I'd buy it because it's such a good deal. And that's even though I have decided not to buy any more firearms.

Richard
Former Captain of Horse, keeper of the peace and interpreter of statute. Currently a Gentleman of Leisure.
Nemo me impune lacessit

Support your local US Military Vets Motorcycle Club
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-21-2020, 11:57 AM Thread Starter

Richard, You ain't helping matters any! I once had a 338-06... what a round. An old friend of mine that passed on a few years ago used to say that the 338-06 was the only round built on the parent 30-06 case that was actually better than the -06 itself. I have to agree with that. It bumps on the heels of the 338 win mag with a whole lot less fuss.

I have always been a huge 358 Winchester fan and the ballistic coefficient of the more aero-dynamic 338 bullets might make the 338 Federal a better round. Or at least as good. I do like the 338-06 better than the 35 Whelen as I was able to get 2600 fps with a 250 grain bullet out of my 338-06 but 2500 was it for the 35 Whelen. The 338-06 shot a we bit flatter too.

If the little Savage is still there this afternoon then it most likely will follow me home cuz I'm pathetic and weak kneed when it comes to guns that are calling my name!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-21-2020, 02:04 PM Thread Starter

I went home at noon and did a quick inventory of the big 50 caliber ammo can left to me after ole Butchy offed himself. No 338 brass but a whole lot of Lake City once fired 308 brass, and 338 dies. So I called Brownells and told them to set that rascal off the shelf and I'd be out.

Thanks for the nudge in the right direction Atlaw!
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-21-2020, 02:27 PM

Well it seems you never even made it to 24 hours but I don't blame you see a good buy better jump on it I have had several of those savage rifles they are nice.

Deaconllb

U S Air Force Korean vet. NRA Member
Fourth fighter wing Kimpo Korea 1952 Fourth but first, the mig killers.
533rd material ,air defence Oxnard AFB 1953-1955
Pastor of the CBCG-Fellowship group Tulsa Oklahoma.
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-21-2020, 07:01 PM

Funny how things follow you home. Glad I donít have that problem🤓
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-21-2020, 07:04 PM

Gun Cabinet

Quote:
Originally Posted by gpa&hisguns View Post
Thanks for the nudge in the right direction Atlaw!
Always glad to help a brother out!

Richard
Former Captain of Horse, keeper of the peace and interpreter of statute. Currently a Gentleman of Leisure.
Nemo me impune lacessit

Support your local US Military Vets Motorcycle Club
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-22-2020, 06:14 AM

problem for me is what comes next. Scope, dies, brass, bullets, powder. By the time ive got it scoped and get a load worked up you can tack on 500 bucks.

MAKE AMERICA GREAT AGAIN! STEEL FOR TANKS NOT FENCES!!!
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-22-2020, 07:04 AM

Gpa..you are just going to have to find another route to and from home, even 10 more miles..just to avoid passing by Brownells !

Sure, Atlaw was a big help.. ..But if your Mrs only knew the part he played, she might be inclined to call him, outlaw ! ..

If everyone is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking.. (Gen George S. Patton)

Last edited by ironglow; 02-22-2020 at 07:07 AM.
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-23-2020, 08:13 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ironglow View Post
Gpa..you are just going to have to find another route to and from home, even 10 more miles..just to avoid passing by Brownells !

Sure, Atlaw was a big help.. ..But if your Mrs only knew the part he played, she might be inclined to call him, outlaw ! ..

I married over my head IG. She don't fall for none of that. I tried it all in my younger days. I'm far better off to give her the straight scoop and take my lumps.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Graybeard Outdoors forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page