Graybeard Outdoors banner

My new M70 Super Grade in 358

4K views 30 replies 10 participants last post by  cwlongshot 
#1 ·
I got my barrelled action back today, after being bored from 308 to 358. I put everything back together and cannot wait to shoot it.

Attachments

See less See more
#5 ·
Thank you. I've always loved the M70 as well as the .358. However, buying an original one is a very expensive proposition. I had a couple M70s in .308, so once I decided on which, I just had to get it done, finally. I plan on using loads from 180gr to 225gr in it. The turnaround with JES was very quick and I'm already thinking about a M70 Featherweight (post 64) rebored to 338/06. :D

#6 ·
My guess would be that you depreciated the model 70 super grade by about 50%. Had you bought a orgional it would a continued to grow value. But it’s your gun to do with as you please.

#7 ·
To say that I completely disagree with you, would be an understement, but of course you have no idea what I paid for it either. I actually own(ed) two M70 Super Grades in .308 and there's no way this rifle is worth less than I paid for it originally.

I could not see paying 2500-$3500 for an original pre 64 Super Grade or Featherweight that I would actually use to hunt with. So, I purchased a rifle of equal (better?) quality and had it modified for less than half that lower number above.

To each his own, but I do not agree at all with your assessment.

#10 ·
All I know is I’ve never been able to recover any gunsmithing money I spent on collectible rifles. Most model 70 collectors want everything original and as high condition as they can find. Then they will shell out the cash. Believe me I’ve modified pleanty of hunting rifles to my tastes. And only for my enjoyment. If I ever need to sell I just take my loss and chock it up to the experience.

But maybe your mileage is different.

#12 ·
I've been there a bunch of times myself. However as far as Winchester Super grades go they are not really collectable. Of course anything pre 64 is collectable but I saw a pristine used post 64 Super Grade in 300 Win mag at Brownells a short time ago that wouldn't sell for $800. If it had been a 358 Winchester.....even a rebore then it would have been gone in a blink. 358 Winchesters and 375 Winchesters have a cult following. I have bought a number of Marlin 336 lever guns in 30-30 and had JES rebore them and sold them for more than I had invested. However as you say the vast majority of the time I took a bath as far as recouping money invested in gunsmith work. I think that when you go to the extent of having a bunch of custom work done to a gun you are suppose to keep it forever. Not me, the only thing that I still have that I had 40 years ago is my wife and she ain't for barter!:tango_face_grin:

#11 ·
Beautiful wood!!!!!

Classic lines and a awesome Caliber. Should work awesome for you!

Dinny convinced me to use TAC powder. I have had 358’s since the early 1980’s and 4320/4064 has always been my go to. But my latest 358. (A RUGER American) simply wasn’t up to snuff velocity wise. I was in heavy 35 Rem territory and didn’t like that. I don’t need to push the 358 as there is a 35 Whelen and then a 358 Norma Mag just a bit farther back in the safe... But I wanted to get what I “should” get for velocity.

WOW but it shoots good too!! I’m about 2450 with a 225 Sierra into a inch too!

Good luck

CW

#14 ·
Thanks. I went out and checked my stash yesterday and I have 5 full boxes of loaded 225gr Sierras to feed to it and my BLR/358. That BB load was the first load ever to shoot an honest sub 1" from my BLR that I've owned for some 35 or so years. And, like you, there are others present if I need more velocity; .35 Whelen, .350RM, 9.3x62(two) and three 338 mags.

#17 · (Edited)
I have owned several pre 64s, but I'm now down to only one. It's a .270 Featherweight that I put together as my personal Jack O'Connor tribute, down to it's 4x scope. Most know that Jack's favorite rifle was a 270 Featherweight custom stocked by Al Beisen. He liked that rifle so much, he had another, identical rifle done by Al.

About 7-8 yrs ago they made a limited edition JOC Tribute rifle with a stock made to mirror Beisen's stock on Jack's two custom Featherweights, including flurs-de-lis checkering and French walnut. I bought one and love the rifle. It's a shooter too, under 1" with plain old 130gr Win PPs. Surprisingly, my pre 64 does the same thing, but with the 150gr PP.

The original M70 standard is a tad too heavy for my tastes and I prefer the shorter barrel and lighter weight of the Featherweight model. The one I bought years ago as my personal JOC Tribute has the nicest piece of wood that I've ever seen on a M70. It was made in the custom shop 60yrs ago.

I have a picture somewhere of both of them together I'll see if I can find and post here.

Attachments

#20 ·
one of the nicest looking pre 64s ive seen but you ruined it for me when you called it a Jack O connor tribute gun. Personally I think he was the biggest blowhard that ever wrote for a gun magazine. to this day I detest the 270 because of him. I know its a good round but ive owned exactly two of them and neither stayed in my house for more then a month and neither ever shot a single head of game.
I have owned several pre 64s, but I'm now down to only one. It's a .270 Featherweight that I put together as my personal Jack O'Connor tribute, down to it's 4x scope. Most know that Jack's favorite rifle was a 270 Featherweight custom stocked by Al Beisen. He liked that rifle so much, he had another, identical rifle done by Al.

About 7-8 yrs ago they made a limited edition JOC Tribute rifle with a stock made to mirror Beisen's stock on Jack's two custom Featherweights, including flurs-de-lis checkering and French walnut. I bought one and love the rifle. It's a shooter too, under 1" with plain old 130gr Win PPs. Surprisingly, my pre 64 does the same thing, but with the 150gr PP.

The original M70 standard is a tad too heavy for my tastes and I prefer the shorter barrel and lighter weight of the Featherweight model. The one I bought years ago as my personal JOC Tribute has the nicest piece of wood that I've ever seen on a M70. It was made in the custom shop 60yrs ago.

I have a picture somewhere of both of them together I'll see if I can find and post here.

#23 ·
I enjoyed reading Wotters, as well as Keith, O'Connor and Boddington. Elmer's autobiography, "H*ll, I was There" is a great read as is O'Connor's "Confessions of a Gun Writer".

A much more modern read that I fully enjoyed is Boddington's "American Hunting Rifles" which was first published 20+ years ago, but recently updated with vol II. I have both and the very extensive survey he did with experienced guides for both volumes are very interesting to study.

#24 ·
I was an O'Connor fan also. He got me interested in reloading, beautiful stocks, the 257 Roberts, and the 7mm Mauser. Never was a fan of the 270, though my dad and 1 uncle both had one.

A few years ago I decided a 358W would be the ideal thumper for me, plenty of energy to 250 yards(my personal limit for shooting at game) and flat enough shooting to make hits reliable without to much hold over or under. Have a barrel blank but have not fitted it to an action yet. Maybe in two or three years, the blank should be mature by then, it is a Douglas that is about 44 years old now..

#25 ·
I enjoyed reading and hearing about O'Connor's life. From his very young life, through his death while on a cruise back in 1978 (IIRC). He, of course, championed the .270 as it hit the public right about the time JOC did. He had killed more coues deer with the '06, I believe than with the .270. He hunted with a lot of different rifles and calibers, and typically suited his cartridge to the game animal. For example, he would use a .375 on a Grizzly hunt, .416 or big bore for buffalo, etc. The O'Connor museum sells a very interesting documentary movie (on disc) that has a lot of info on some of his rifles (this part narrated mainly by his long-time friend Eldon Buckner) and even a section with Jack himself narrating a few interesting hunting stories from years before.

You'll enjoy the .358, I'm sure, when you finally pull the trigger on the build.

#29 ·
A friend of mine went to Africa on a elephant hunt. Boy I’m glad he didn’t bring me the skull. He did give me 2, $100,000 notes from Zimbabwe. Nearest I can figure there worth about $0.10 cents each.

#31 ·
Hahaha. ME TOO!!!

Along with some coins too!! 😉

Money Cash Currency Banknote Paper

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.