Savage Axis ll in 350 Legend - Graybeard Outdoors

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-31-2020, 05:36 PM Thread Starter

Default Savage Axis ll in 350 Legend

Picked up this Savage Axis ll in 350 Legend at a local show in February. Now I've been anti 350 Legend from day 1, but the gun was like new in the box and for $180 I figured it would be good trading stock next fall. While buying some powder at the LGS, I noticed they had some Hornady American Whitetail 170g 350 Legend ammo and grabbed a box.

I finished up all my winter gun projects last week, So I remounted the Weaver bases that came on the gun, mounted a scope and boresighted. Targets were shot at 50 yards. First two shots touched on all 3 targets and the third was a flyer on all 3 targets. Let the gun cool approx, 15 minutes on the last target, and the flyer was a little closer. Groups were .950, .875, and .825.

Not what I consider accurate, especially at 50 yards. Accu trigger is set at factory setting (3-4#??) and the stock is pretty flimsy. Gun functioned flawlessly except for the 3rd shot flyer in each group. I think maybe playing with the torque on the rear action screw would tighten up the group a little, and adjusting the trigger pull wouldnt hurt.

Just a quick online search shows these guns around $350 new with an entry level scope. The Hornady ammo was $18 a box. I think these guns are a pretty decent value for the money and more than accurate enough for the average Joe. With a little tweaking and some hand loads, I think it could be a real shooter. I'll probably let its new owner figure that out.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	thumbnail[6].jpg
Views:	19
Size:	350.2 KB
ID:	243494  

Name:	t1.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	222.2 KB
ID:	243496  

Name:	t2.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	205.5 KB
ID:	243498  

Name:	t3.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	137.7 KB
ID:	243500  

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-31-2020, 08:24 PM

Well, it does make some nice big round holes.

Sometimes a fixed parallax scope is more accurate at 100 than 50 yards. Never know until you try at 100.

Question: Did you make scope adjustments between groups? The groups moved quite a bit.

All of my favorite creatures have white bottoms.

Last edited by Lt. Dave; 04-01-2020 at 04:02 AM.
post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-01-2020, 05:22 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lt. Dave View Post
Question: Did you make scope adjustments between groups? The groups moved quite a bit.
Yes I was making adjustments on the scope. The scope is a new Vortex Crossfire 3-9 x 50. Academy had these on sale this summer for $99 and I wanted to check them out. Pretty decent scope. If you notice in the pics there is less than a quarter inch of eye relief adjustment either way with the mounts and rings that are on the gun. I did struggle a little with the eye relief. Nice little gun and a lot of fun to shoot. I may even buy some more ammo and play with it some more.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-01-2020, 08:48 AM

I have one of these in 7/08. (Maybe I said already). But this bugger may be THE MOST ACCURATE rifle I have fired.
May not sound like much to some. But OMG. I have loaded two loads. (So far) One I think maybe you have me! Anyhow. I decided on a starting load of H380 mostly cause I don’t use much of it and I have more than a pound. But also cause it puts 120 NBT into a single hole!!! It’s my wife’s rifle so I don’t want/need more than a 120 @ 2650 FPS. 😉

My own Legend is a RARR and with loads it likes it’s no slouch and more accurate than many.

I like it.

CW

"Pay heed to the man who carries a single shot rifle, he likely knows how to use it."

NRA LIFE Member

I PROUDLY SUPPORT OUR TROOPS!

GOD BLESS AMERICA

Remember... Four boxes keep us free: the soap box, the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box. and the THE PEOPLE HAVE SPOKEN!
post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-03-2020, 01:29 PM

I'm still trying to figure out what makes a .35 cal cartridge with a slightly undersized bore diameter "legendary"!
post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-03-2020, 01:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spruce View Post
I'm still trying to figure out what makes a .35 cal cartridge with a slightly undersized bore diameter "legendary"!
AMEN!!

Winchester was/is “ALL IN” here!!

Imagine if they could Make ammo! 😉

CW

"Pay heed to the man who carries a single shot rifle, he likely knows how to use it."

NRA LIFE Member

I PROUDLY SUPPORT OUR TROOPS!

GOD BLESS AMERICA

Remember... Four boxes keep us free: the soap box, the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box. and the THE PEOPLE HAVE SPOKEN!
post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-03-2020, 06:06 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by spruce View Post
Ohhhh and lets not forget Winchesters claim to fame as the "Legend" being the fastest straight wall available. I believe Winchester targeted (pun intended) the non reloading crowd with this cartridge.
post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-04-2020, 09:01 AM

Marketing. "You hype it enough, they will buy it"! :-)
post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-04-2020, 12:08 PM

I wish they would have just called it the .355 Winchester.

I said on day one that the moniker "Legend" was hokey.

But it is something new so I am enjoying tinkering with it. May hunt with it next season unless hunting season gets cancelled too.

All of my favorite creatures have white bottoms.
post #10 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-04-2020, 02:44 PM

I'm assuming the 350 Legend is a short-action round? I see it as being right up there with the .350 Remington Magnum, but without the useless belt and as having a greater magazine capability because the case is not a bottle-neck affair...

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Graybeard Outdoors forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page